Recap service in SF Bay Area?

• 68kMLA Supporter

Hello. I've got an SE/30 that has been sitting in my garage for more than 20 years. My son and I powered it up and it appears to be working fine, but I know that won't last for long given the age of the capacitors. So, I'd like to get the motherboard recapped and the Bourns filter replaced(prophylactically), but I've never soldered anything smaller than a 18AWG wire and don't fancy using this SE/30 as a guinea pig. Ideally, I'd also like to get the motherboard cleaned. Anyone have a recommendation for a service provider in the SF Bay Area?

• 68kMLA Supporter
On 4/26/2021 at 1:48 PM, olePigeon said:

@Pheckphul  I think @elemenoh has a PCB cleaner, but I also know he's very busy.  Wouldn't hurt to ask.

I have the equipment to do a full recap, but I couldn't offer any assurances.  I'd feel bad if I broke something.

Thank you for the suggestion. I send him a message.

I really would rather find someone local. There's gotta be some decent recapper in the Bay Area. I don't want to mail it, though I wonder how much Rossmann would charge.

• 68kMLA Supporter
On 4/27/2021 at 12:34 AM, risickwinters said:

I know you said you'd prefer not shipping it but if you did I just worked with https://amigaofrochester.com/ and I would highly recommend him. Really nice, knowledgable guy and reasonable pricing.

Thank you for the input. I'll keep this as a fallback if I can't find a Bay Area resource.

• 1 month later...
  • 68kMLA Supporter

I though I would report back what I found, or didn't find.

So, I've given up on finding a place to recap my SE/30 in the Bay Area. I haven't found anyone with any experience recapping retro equipment after posting here, and on Reddit. I found places that would do it, but I don't want my system to be a guinea pig, else I'd try doing it myself, even though I barely know which end of a soldering iron gets plugged into the wall.  ;-) I'm sure there are people here, I just didn't find the right ones.

Even though I would MUCH rather not have to mail off my board, I've decided to mail it off to @Amiga of Rochester. I spoke with him for a while, and he seems like a really nice guy, and knowledgeable. And he has a good reputation here, so that's a plus.  :-)) 

Thank you all for your suggestions, and to @risickwinters for suggesting @Amiga of Rochester.