Libby's assorted conquests

I have a semi-photographic memory that makes me really, really fast at identifying peripherals and systems, so often find way underpriced or otherwise nice vintage items on ebay and classifieds.

Today:

unknown.png

so, at a glance I see an 040 accelerator, ethernet card and supermac video card in this. The SIMMs are double sided so good chance of 16MB.

Image 61 - Apple Macintosh Vintage IIci Desktop Pc Computer For Parts

Spectrum 24/III video adapter. Also the reason why it probably doesn't give video output, the video adapter's suffered corrosion/damage from some sort of leak that also damaged the philips 343S1020-A onboard. Hopefully the adapter survived, I'd prefer that over the IIci motherboard which is easier to replace. The board's probably not worth fixing as it'll also need a recap and may have unseen battery damage too.

Image 10 - Apple Macintosh Vintage IIci Desktop Pc Computer For Parts

:(

Image 8 - Apple Macintosh Vintage IIci Desktop Pc Computer For Parts

Whatever the corrosion was, doesn't seem to be battery related though, as the accelerator and these SIMMs look fine from the ebay photos. Confirm 16MB each as those are 4Mbit DRAMs, times 32 of them.

Wow.  $80 for a IIci with accelerator, SuperMac video card, and 4x 16MB block-o-RAM SIMMs. :shocked:

I have a full set of 128MBs of those same SIMMs.  They're so outlandishly big, I love them.  It's just a giant cube of RAM sitting in my IIci.  Kinda reminds me of the CPU in Terminator II for some reason.

stuff from a local fellow's hoard, photos are kinda potato

image.thumb.png.7300a9db3e1f916f11e6c060cd3f8156.png

no idea what this is

image.thumb.png.7e6572da495c687d6d7caf8dab5d54e0.png

large

one hell of a DSP of some sort. has 4MB RAM in SIMMs and 2MB RAM framebuffer

image.thumb.png.02ad102d6f859009f860b3f1a6797de0.png

radius rocket

image.thumb.png.ee29a99121048d7fb655c34aa0c4e420.png

village tronic "snupic" card, with 2MB 45ns RAM. fastest I've ever seen in nubus. unfortunately this was in a mac II which had battery leakage. hopefully this card is fixable

image.thumb.png.dfeae30414c697d565469116e6c1b348.png

image.thumb.png.fc8ce5fb7b6d88572cc34517d67c825c.png

token ring? no idea what this is, apple 820-0234-A, anyway. seems absurdly over-chipped to be token ring, that's a full 68000 10MHz at the rear end there

Edited by Libretto
  • 68kMLA Supporter
1 minute ago, Libretto said:

token ring? no idea what this is, apple 820-0234-A, anyway. seems absurdly over-chipped to be token ring, that's a full 68000 10MHz at the rear end there

Could be an A/ROSE card, they did make Token Ring cards running that. Which would explain the 68000, which is what A/ROSE would run on.

• 68kMLA Supporter
2 minutes ago, Libretto said:

image.thumb.png.65e17556607fb8835bc9618c2cb917d6.png

no idea what this is

image.thumb.png.63d0331b99ff2a8e106aaa95fd126ea5.png

large

one hell of a DSP of some sort. has 4MB RAM in SIMMs and 2MB RAM framebuffer

Ooh, that'll be a RasterOps Paintboard Pro or a Horizon 24 (should say on the back.) One will have had a DSP daughterboard on the front. I've been after one for a while....

• 68kMLA Supporter
26 minutes ago, Libretto said:

24 minutes ago, Daniël said:

Could be an A/ROSE card, they did make Token Ring cards running that. Which would explain the 68000, which is what A/ROSE would run on.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that is an A/ROSE Token Ring card.  The TMS38021 at the output end of the card is a token ring protocol decoder (datasheet here: https://rocelec.widen.net/view/pdf/thaiwnkttz/TXIIS146337-1.pdf?t.download=true&u=5oefqw) and isn't going to be useful for much else, and the 68000 is a dead giveaway for A/ROSE.

2 minutes ago, cheesestraws said:

I had one of these with the NuBus card.  I didn't realise until I saw @jeremywork's thread that they can also plug into some PC compatibility cards, which is kind of cool

I kind of wonder if the DC-37 connector on it will also let it work as an external floppy with a PC ISA card using that, if the pinout is the same it should technically work, being a PC drive and all

(I'd potentially use it with a microchannel PC, but I can probably get the real external IBM floppy using the same cable anyways)

Edited by Libretto
  • 68kMLA Supporter
Just now, Libretto said:

I kind of wonder if the DC-37 connector on it will also let it work as an external floppy with a PC ISA card using that, if the pinout is the same it should technically work, being a PC drive and all

I opened it up and had a look before I let mine go to a better home (not a euphemism!) and it looked like the standard old PC external floppy pinout, but I didn't do a great deal of investigation so take that with a pinch of salt.

• 68kMLA Supporter
Just now, Libretto said:

I believe this is true, it's a standard PC drive with an Apple housing. I've got the one @cheesestraws sent now plugged into an Orange386, but for the moment it's freezing moments after telling me to run setup (if I'm fast I can enter setup before it freezes.) No fault of the drive though :) 

• 68kMLA Supporter
1 minute ago, jeremywork said:

I've got the one @cheesestraws sent now plugged into an Orange386, but for the moment it's freezing moments after telling me to run setup (if I'm fast I can enter setup before it freezes.) No fault of the drive though :) 

Yay!  I'm so glad it's working and you're using it :-D.  It was a dust-collector for so long here, felt like such a shame.

• 68kMLA Supporter
5 minutes ago, cheesestraws said:

Yay!  I'm so glad it's working and you're using it :-D.  It was a dust-collector for so long here, felt like such a shame.

Collecting dust is a safer alternative than some, but it will have a nice extension to its working life here now :) thanks again!

40 minutes ago, jeremywork said:

Ooh, that'll be a RasterOps Paintboard Pro or a Horizon 24 (should say on the back.) One will have had a DSP daughterboard on the front. I've been after one for a while....

it does not, sadly

PCB 0002-0497-01

02715 4070610 on a barcode

card's 1993 dated and uses a PLCC flash instead of DIP ROM so it must be among the last of their cards, anyway

I have a paintboard Li here that will likely never be used, for sale at some point

• 68kMLA Supporter
1 minute ago, Libretto said:

it does not, sadly

PCB 0002-0497-01

02715 4070610 on a barcode

card's 1993 dated and uses a PLCC flash instead of DIP ROM so it must be among the last of their cards, anyway

I have a paintboard Li here that will likely never be used, for sale at some point

Too bad; it will have been on a white sticker which must have been separated. TattleTech will probably show what it is. The Horizon 24 is said to be a particularly nice card, and the PaintBoard Pro shares its PCB layout and visually looks the same (the Horizon 24 probably shipped with a DSP daughterboard -which may be the only difference between the two.)

If you ever consider selling it, I'd be interested! :D

1 minute ago, jeremywork said:

Too bad; it will have been on a white sticker which must have been separated. TattleTech will probably show what it is. The Horizon 24 is said to be a particularly nice card, and the PaintBoard Pro shares its PCB layout and visually looks the same (the Horizon 24 probably shipped with a DSP daughterboard -which may be the only difference between the two.)

If you ever consider selling it, I'd be interested! :D

I'm a part-time ebay scumbag but tend to like selling things off of there at lower rates when possible

not sure which items of this will go into my collection versus going there other than the radius rocket remaining with me as I have no inclination to pay 500 bucks for one online

• 68kMLA Supporter
Just now, Libretto said:

guess that village tronic card is a macpicasso 320, purportedly somehow worse than a toby card despite having a cirrus CL-GD5436 PCI chip on it, haha.

I believe this quote resulted from a test on a 68k system, which will not be accelerated. The 320/340 drivers need a PowerPC to run (and yeah, the 340 too is rather miserable on an 840av despite being fastest-in-class on a PowerPC.)