Can anyone share a working copy of Newton Press for Macintosh?

• 68kMLA Supporter

Hi guys!

Pretty quick / simple question: does anyone have a working installer for Newton Press? The only copy I've been able to find online comes in a pair of "DMG disk images, and nothing I've tried has been able to actually get them to mount on either my 'target Mac' (a Performa 575 running System 7.6.1) or my modern Mac.

Thanks for any help here!

Huxley

• 68kMLA Supporter

Hi again everyone! Quick update: Several people here + on Facebook + on Twitter reached out to assist, but everyone seems to be passing around the same set of "DMG" images for Newton Press, which I was having no luck with - I couldn't get them to mount (using Disk Copy) on my vintage Mac, and they wouldn't mount on my modern Mac either. 

HOWEVER: I finally just got them to mount on the System 7 machine by first loading them into Roxio Toast, which quickly recognized them and mounted the images without any issues - I was able to install normally from there. Yay! I hope my oddball solution works for someone else someday :-)

Huxley

• 68kMLA Supporter
On 4/21/2021 at 12:15 AM, MrFahrenheit said:

You could always mount them in toast, and create new images from those mounted ones using DiskCopy 6.3 and upload the set to the Garden. 

That's a really fantastic idea, I'll work on that this weekend. Obviously this is a semi-obscure problem even in the already-obscure world of "running old software on old hardware to make content for even-more-obscure old hardware," but still - I'm lucky I found a solution, and for anyone with less luck / experience than I have (it was definitely 'dumb luck' that I happened to have a working copy of Toast on my SCSI2SD drive) would probably give up in frustration before too long, as I nearly did. 

Thanks!

Huxley