SCSI HD Repair (Conner and Quantum)

I've got a small collection of 2.5" drives here, none of which work properly. The Conner drives will spin up for a few seconds, then spin down. Then after a second or two they spin up again, and the entire process repeats. Platters look good, and the heads are not stuck. The Quantum drive won't spin up at all. I have not looked inside that one. Are there any additional troubleshooting steps that anyone has had luck with? I'm willing to try anything! I looked for a schematic for the boards but didn't have any luck.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Are the Quantum drives the ones you need to whack with the handle of a screwdriver to get working?  I have a couple machines with hard drives that, if they don't get turned on periodically, the hard drive won't want to spin up right away.  A good tap or two with the screwdriver handle loosens it up and gets them spinning again.

I haven't tapped any of them yet. My one working Conner drive (which originally didn't work) had the stick rubber bumper issue. I could hear the heads trying to seek, so I opened that one up to free it, and sure enough it works great now. My other two Conner drives have a different symptom, but I still find it interesting that they are both acting the same way.

• 2 weeks later...

It’s usually the rubber bumper with parking magnet on the connors. I’ve found on quantum 3.5 gooey bumpers under the platters in the middle. It requires a delicate process to remove the platters and heads not to touch.. a very complex job. I’ve tried it and got one to work. At this point a scsi2sd is really the best option. Hard drive bearings eventually go.. they are just unreliable at this point. Don’t save any data you never want to see again on working ones.