Need to fix ethernet card Daynaport E/30 in Mac SE/30

Hi All,

I inherited a Mac SE/30 with an Dayna Ethernet card included. The card isn't working and when I had a look over the board I noticed one of the components (a capacitor) had failed per the attached picture. It looks to be called C3.

I'd like to get this board going again and just wondering of anyone had the same board and knew the value of C3?

The model looks to be a Daynaport E/30 if that helps at all?

Thanks

Sonny

IMG_4490 2.jpg

IMG_4488 2.jpg

IMG_4492 2.jpg

IMG_4489.jpg

• 68kMLA Supporter

@Macsonski I would venture a guess that it's a power supply decoupling capacitor (notice the thick GND line) and probably similar in value to C19. But maybe someone will have the same board and will be able to give you the exact value. Honestly, unless this burned cap is shorting the power lines (so better remove it), I would expect the board to work nevertheless if your SE/30 PSU is healthy.

Btw, would you mind posting high-resolution images of both sides of both PCBs? I was thinking of reverse engineering Daynaport at some point and this board seems to be least crowded/easiest to track from all I've seen.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2021 at 3:36 AM, moldy said:

@Macsonski I would venture a guess that it's a power supply decoupling capacitor (notice the thick GND line) and probably similar in value to C19. But maybe someone will have the same board and will be able to give you the exact value. Honestly, unless this burned cap is shorting the power lines (so better remove it), I would expect the board to work nevertheless if your SE/30 PSU is healthy.

Btw, would you mind posting high-resolution images of both sides of both PCBs? I was thinking of reverse engineering Daynaport at some point and this board seems to be least crowded/easiest to track from all I've seen.

Hi,

Thanks for the details on the cap. Just replaced tonight and will test in a few days. In the mean time, I’ve attached the high res pics as requested.

Thanks

Sonny

0355C5C9-C18B-46A7-95B6-C9726702881E.jpeg

22C81E90-B38D-45BE-981E-ED53F94B6AC6.jpeg

E3C4C92D-1E4F-426A-B893-D8A0E13CD2B7.jpeg

B24E381A-9EDC-4374-AD59-E2A7FE68E061.jpeg