Mobius 030 and System 7?

• 68kMLA Supporter
Posted (edited)

After getting my SCSI-2-SD up and running, I was able to backup the contents of the SuperSE's internal hard drive. Since this Macintosh SE has the Mobius 030 accelerator card and other things (16 MB of memory and an external display port) I've wanted to clean the hard drive (after backing up the contents and sending the previous owner's files to them, as requested) and load it with some DTP/graphic design software.

On my Twitter, I posted a poll a while back asking people what OS I should run on it. The consensus was System 7.1, which I was also gravitating toward. (I have System 6 on two of my other "normal" compact Macs.)

So tonight (or this morning - another one of my Midnight Macintosh Adventures) I went ahead and installed System 7.1 from the disks on my FloppyEmu. The installation went smoothly on the second go around, although the Mac was having a slightly difficulty on startup. (This computer is packed with strange extensions, control panels, and other seemingly useless stuff the previous owner loaded on here 20-some years ago.) 

After the computer booted and rebuilt the desktop file, I instantly went into the "About This Macintosh" menu to see if the computer was seeing the accelerator card. The news wasn't good.

It appears the Mobius 030 accelerator card's driver/control panel is incompatible with System 7.1, so the System 7.1 reverted back to the stock 68000 and the 4 MB located on the main logic board.

Does anyone know if there is a workaround, so I can get the accelerator card ('030 and 16 MB of RAM) to work with System 7.1? Or am I simply stuck with System 6 on this computer?

Thanks.

Edit: When restarting the machine from the menu, it gives an error (below in my Tweet) when booting. If you click "Restart" it will give a Sad Mac error. The only way to boot the machine is to hold "Shift" to turn off extensions until it is finished booting. This may just be some miscellaneous control panel incompatibilities or conflicts.

Edited by Garrett
  • 68kMLA Supporter

I'm not super familiar with the Mobius 030 in your 'SuperSE', but on this page:

https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/accelerator-card-drivers

Mobius
Mobius Drivers
(91 k)
Mobius 030 v4.99 for their SE to 030 accelerator board. Works with sys 6.
This driver does not work well with System 7+. Also includes Mobius Display v2.5 driver.
Mobius 7.01 Fix (12 k) An extension to fix problems with 7.01 info.

Assuming that's the right driver, this seems to suggest that you can use the Mobius 030 v4.99 driver, with the 7.01 fix with System 7.0.1 ? No idea if that fix would also work on 7.1, it might.

Perhaps before going down to 7.0.1, try the Mobius 7.01 fix with 7.1 and then if that doesn't work, try it with 7.0.1?

• 68kMLA Supporter

Thankfully, I was able to "revert" back to System 6.0.5 using the SCSI-2-SD's backup I made. (Speaking of which, I still need to make an image of it.)

Should I upgrade to System 7.0.1 or just System 6.0.8? Is 7.0.1 unstable?

For day to day use, System 7.01 isn't massively different in look and feel over 7.1 (many wondered why Apple charged for 7.1 when released!).  However, the bane of many "early" accelerators was Sound Manager 3.0 (as found in the System 7.1 System Update 3.0) which didn't play nicely with audio on many accelerated Macs - perhaps why some vendors gave up supporting anything above 6.08 and 7.01.

• 68kMLA Supporter

I have not tried System 7.1.1 Pro. I haven't had a whole lot of time recently to tinker with it... hopefully next week I can mess with it some more.

I'm also limited to whatever software and operating systems I can run, since StuffIt Expander won't work on my modern MBP and I don't have another Mac on hand that will run StuffIt Expander. Therefore, I'm unable to expand .sit archives... still.

System 7.0.1 with the 1.1.1 update (technically 7.0.1.1.1.1), is basically just as good as 7.1. If I recall, 7.1 was released to support system enablers, and apple was working on the features of System 7 Pro at the same time, as well as PowerPC just before, but for operational things and for stability, 7.0.1 is just as good. 

20 hours ago, MrFahrenheit said:

System 7.0.1 with the 1.1.1 update (technically 7.0.1.1.1.1), is basically just as good as 7.1. If I recall, 7.1 was released to support system enablers, and apple was working on the features of System 7 Pro at the same time, as well as PowerPC just before, but for operational things and for stability, 7.0.1 is just as good. 

This is a new one to me.

Does 7.0.1.1.1.1 (no wonder why that didn't catch on!) work with A/UX? 7.1 breaks it.

20 hours ago, beachycove said:

This is a new one to me.

Does 7.0.1.1.1.1 (no wonder why that didn't catch on!) work with A/UX? 7.1 breaks it.

Very good question!  The 1.1.1 comes as an update extension. If I recall A/UX 3 had it but I can’t verify at the moment. I had an electrical emergency in my home (almost burned down) and I had to pack up all my vintage stuff for the moment. 

I wish A/UX supported 7.1. Some apps and games require it due to sound manager updates and QuickTime.