Retrobrighting my SE/30 case (and some other bits)

Its a sunny day in the UK so time to do the case for my SE/30.

Filled the big tub straight from the Hot Tap and added a decent quantity (maybe too much) of 13% Hydrogen Peroxide.  Dropped in the Fishtank heater.

They say if you get bubbles then things are working, mine is positively fizzing!

I've dropped in a few bits of plastic that need a second go.

I have a StyleWriter 2500 case and another SE/30 case ready to go when these are done, hoping for another Sunny day tomorrow.

IMG_1274.thumb.jpeg.f833d2cfafd727ad954bf63e897056c1.jpeg

@cannfoddr Could you describe the amounts you used for water to hyrdogen peroxide ratios or just how much you used? Also, I hadn't seen the use of a water heater before? Did you use a clear wrap on the top or no? Also, did you move the pieces around during the day or just leave them like pictured? It looks great and is really making me want to take the chance at doing it just want to make sure I do it properly :) Thanks!

Posted (edited)
On 4/24/2021 at 5:17 AM, risickwinters said:

@cannfoddr Could you describe the amounts you used for water to hyrdogen peroxide ratios or just how much you used? Also, I hadn't seen the use of a water heater before? Did you use a clear wrap on the top or no? Also, did you move the pieces around during the day or just leave them like pictured? It looks great and is really making me want to take the chance at doing it just want to make sure I do it properly :) Thanks!

its all a bit unscientific at the moment:

• I grabbed a 'really useful box', with a clip on lid big enough for the SE/30 case
  • I used the hot tap/faucet in my kitchen and a Bucket to Fill the container with the HOTTEST water to a depth that would just about cover the Case
  • I dropped in my Fishtank heater set to Max (34 Degrees C)
  • I added around 4 Litres of 13% Hydrogen Peroxide (I think this is 40 Vol) - I got this from an online supplies company (https://www.apcpure.com) and mixed it up
  • I then arranged the case and other items in the water ensuring that light could hit the surfaces I wanted to brighten
  • I also put some Aluminium (or whatever it is in 'Merican) Foil shiny side up under the box to reflect some light
  • I put the lid on and clipped it shut - we have cats and I don't want them getting near the Hydrogen Peroxide.
  • I then left everything for a while - when I went back I could see Bubbles everywhere which I have taken as a good sign
  • I then go back every hour or so to move the box into sunlight and check on the items, move them around etc...
  • I think good sunshine will help keep the temperature up - not in the UK in April
  • On a couple of occasions I have taken items out hosed them down and left them to dry and then decided they could use a little more time and put them back.
  • I have left items in the solution overnight with the heat turned off and then turned it on again in the morning
  • Eventually the bubbles seem to stop and I figure the solution is done - time to start again with a new batch.

My Cases have gone very quickly and have all completed inside a day.  The printer I an working on is taking a little longer to get where I want. 

Edited by cannfoddr