ix Micro (IMS) TwinTurbo | partially working | driver issues?

• 68kMLA Supporter

Well I had a "shower thought" to try the card with the video signal break-out board removed, and I got something! It's not great, but it's something other than a blank screen...

1bz9nN1.jpg

I wonder if it's bad SGRAM on the board... I have no clue how to further diagnose the card.

Is that garbled image still or do parts move, and if it's static are there clearly correlated parts if you drag something solid around?

If the garbling moves around even while the onscreen image is just sitting there, then it seems like some kind of timing problem. If it's static and there's no correlated regions between groups of pixels when moving what should be logically correlated image bits around, then it could maybe be bad memory? If it's static, but clearly when you find a group of logically correlated pixels and you move some part of them around and their buddies move too (even though they're in the wrong position), then it seems like a memory mapping/bounds problem like a thing expecting 8MB to be there but clobbering say the lower 1MB of the mapping with what the driver thinks should be the 5th MB of available memory or some other such writing/updating the wrong region of RAM problem.

Does this occur if you just boot the screen at default VGA resolution and have no drivers installed at all?

• 68kMLA Supporter

Yeah, the machine boots like this, and it sticks with things like windows moving. For a while the cursor seemed unaffected, but changing resolutions made it glitch out, too.

I could boot it, extensions off, but I don't think it would make a difference as it shows at boot time.

I could do a video clip, too if that helps.

• 68kMLA Supporter
20 hours ago, Nathan_A said:

Does it change behavior if you choose other display resolutions and/or refresh rates?

Sometimes? It's really bizarre. During start up the cursor will do the weird "Windows" type ghosting thing but then stop while loading extensions. Sometimes it changes when switching, sometimes not.

Sorry for the nasty un-synced video, but my phone won't match CRTs well. I figured a periodic black bar was better than potentially-seizure-inducing flicker :tongue:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Yx_Wlb4Ozb6uBoyyWzK267hwdsf01fK-/view?usp=sharing

I couldn't get my flat panel, which normally does just fine with Power Macs, to get anything on it.

• 68kMLA Supporter

Well this is interesting... thanks to @cheesestraws for the tip: I took a screen capture. I assumed it would've been just "normal" looking, but I took it, converted to PNG in photoshop on the PowerTower, then uploaded to my vTools userwebs folder... quite interesting results:
YwJqy7Z.png