[Buyee] Won the auction for a Color Classic II!

• 68kMLA Supporter

I managed to win a Buyee Auction for a Color Classic II after a what seemed like an enormous amount of time in which I spammed the 68KMLA irc channel (and @joshc  for that matter)! Ended up costing me 353$ to purchase it + buyee fee. Now I have to wait for it to reach their warehouse and see how much shipping and taxes will be to get it into the country (expecting to drop about 200$ more for all of it). So the end price is around 550$, give or take.

But I am incredibly happy that I managed to win it! In theory it's just as powerful as my SE/30 (with a accelerator from Bolle + a radius pivot card) but without the need of an external screen which was the compact Mac experience I wanted it. 

Now, the questions beckons - when it arrives here: What should I look out for? I'm up2date on most se/30 stuff that I need to do, but I'm not sure of any issues to keep an eye out with the CCII and what to do to ensure it's gonna last me a long time (besides recapping, which I'm already planning on doing).

Screenshot_2021-04-16_at_15_40_53.thumb.png.3d8a3087de6ee6dcc13c3aea81053f06.png

Firstly, as a fellow owner of a CCII, CONGRATULATIONS!!

You’ll obviously need to have that PRAM battery removed. ASAP. The plastics on a CCII are extraordinarily brittle. To the point of looking at it can cause a piece to snap. When you removed the back cover be extra gentle and use something like a screwdriver to help move the plastic catch so you’re not pressing on the tab fully. I snapped mine immediately when I tried opening and I was carful. 

Leave the back access cover off and if possible 3D print a new one to have in there to take on and off. Trust me. 

Lastly, these are very prone to issues with cap leakage. Recap is absolutely necessary. 

• 68kMLA Supporter
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, MrFahrenheit said:

Firstly, as a fellow owner of a CCII, CONGRATULATIONS!!

You’ll obviously need to have that PRAM battery removed. ASAP. The plastics on a CCII are extraordinarily brittle. To the point of looking at it can cause a piece to snap. When you removed the back cover be extra gentle and use something like a screwdriver to help move the plastic catch so you’re not pressing on the tab fully. I snapped mine immediately when I tried opening and I was carful. 

Leave the back access cover off and if possible 3D print a new one to have in there to take on and off. Trust me. 

Lastly, these are very prone to issues with cap leakage. Recap is absolutely necessary. 

Is the case more brittle than a CCI's plastics? I do hope the seller can ship it properly to the buyee warehouse. From there I can pay extra for really really good packaging and go for air mail to ensure as little time as possible in shipment. 

20 hours ago, maceffects said:

Wow, congrats!  I am jealous, which is not easy to do!

Coming from you I feel even more excited about this now :D! 

Edit: for the analogue board, would I need to have that one recapped too? 

Edited by BacioiuC
Added a question

I would think they are similar with respect to their level of brittleness.  But, old ABS plastic is still vulnerable and should be well protected.  I would think its wise to recap the analog board as well.  I know that I've seen some leakage from those.  Not enough to stop them from functioning correct, but still...  Don't want leaking capacitors.  

• 68kMLA Supporter

Got it, then I'mma get both of them recapped as a first priority. The PRAM battery IIRC is like a regular se/30's one and I have brand new ones prepared to replace them. The only thing left is the voltage? I wonder if I need a convertor to use Japan voltages in EU or if the CCII works at an EU voltage.

• 68kMLA Supporter

Echoing what others have said, congrats on scoring a CCII and at a very reasonable price all things considered! 

Anything you'd do to and/or treat with care on a Color Classic you'd do here as well since as far as I'm aware the only difference between the two machines is the model badge on the front and the motherboard.  Everything else (case, analog board, internal frame, wiring harness, motherboard cover, floppy drive, HD, etc.) is exactly the same.  Recapping the motherboard is top of the list and since this is a working example, *hopefully* that means you won't have a ton of leakage to worry about.  Definitely recap the analog board as well.  They haven't started failing as often as the motherboard caps do, but when they go out you're completely dead in the water.  I've seen plenty of CCs that have dodgy screen geometry and wonky colors that weren't able to be fixed messing with the adjustments available that it makes me think when things start going on the analog board the CRT gets the brunt of it.  If it doesn't come with the extra VRAM, now's the time to toss in the additional 256K to get Thousands of Colors.  Great thing with the CCII is that it doesn't lag in the higher color modes like the CC does.  May as well toss in a 68882 as well since they're still reasonably cheap and plentiful if for no other reason than to max out the specs while you can.

• 68kMLA Supporter
20 hours ago, BacioiuC said:

I wonder if I need a convertor to use Japan voltages in EU or if the CCII works at an EU voltage.

No converter needed. These have a universal power supply, compatible with 90V - 240V !

22 hours ago, BacioiuC said:

after a what seemed like an enormous amount of time in which I spammed the 68KMLA irc channel (and @joshc  for that matter)!

No worries at all, I'm here to help whoever I can. Congrats on acquiring this one!

22 hours ago, MrFahrenheit said:

When you removed the back cover be extra gentle and use something like a screwdriver to help move the plastic catch

Or even better, just heat up the tabs a bit with a hairdryer first. This has worked OK for the brittle tabs on my 6100 which haven't broken.

• 68kMLA Supporter

To add to what others have said, if you're comfortable I would recommend fully recapping the analog board. There is a shortlist of capacitors that are apparently prone to failure which people usually replace. In 2/4 of my CCs additional capacitors have failed beyond those. It's a fair amount of work (and about $60 in capacitors), but well worth it.

If you like to run SCSI2SDs, I'd recommend feeding the SCSI cable down into the logic board area and velcroing the SCSI2SD to the top of the logic board area with the SD card facing back. This makes it super easy to swap cards and plug into the USB port without repeated disassembly of the unit.

Echoing what others said about the brittle plastics. With the compact size and generally careful Japanese packing I haven't suffered any shipping damage yet, but one of the rear cover tabs was already broken off and I broke the nameplate on one of them tab trying to remove it. 

• 68kMLA Supporter
20 hours ago, Nathan_A said:

You juuuuusssst beat me out for that auction. It ended at a weird time of day for me to stay on top of it. :-)

Here's to hoping it arrives intact for you! Cheers!

Haha, to be fair, up till the last hour my bid was around 100$ and it didn't seem like it was going to pass it. By pure luck I had a meeting postponed and I could follow the auction and saw the pace it was increasing at. I was playing with my snipe bid up until the last 5 minutes to stay on top of it and if the price went up higher even by a few $ it would have been just out of my budget considering transport + taxes. These buyee auctions really are something xD.

Tell you what, if I ever upgrade from it I'll put you first on the list to get it. I did the same with @mg.man and a memory expansion board when I manage to snag it before him. 

19 hours ago, BacioiuC said:

I'll put you first on the list to get it. I did the same with @mg.man and a memory expansion board when I manage to snag it before him. 

...and I can confirm @BacioiuC is a gentleman and man of his word!  I hope to carve out time this w/e to play with said mem expansion!  :-D

On 4/16/2021 at 4:08 AM, BacioiuC said:

Haha, to be fair, up till the last hour my bid was around 100$ and it didn't seem like it was going to pass it. By pure luck I had a meeting postponed and I could follow the auction and saw the pace it was increasing at. I was playing with my snipe bid up until the last 5 minutes to stay on top of it and if the price went up higher even by a few $ it would have been just out of my budget considering transport + taxes. These buyee auctions really are something xD.

Tell you what, if I ever upgrade from it I'll put you first on the list to get it. I did the same with @mg.man and a memory expansion board when I manage to snag it before him. 

:-) Yeah, looking at what the ending price was it looks like the price was rising against the high bid I'd put in the day before. Because the final price is literally the smallest possible increment above the watermark that I'd bid. Too funny.

There was a SuperMac Thunder II 1600 that sold for pretty cheap and a Farallon SE/30 Ethernet card that went for like $60 the other day. I planned on buying both, but they ended early in my morning. I had a long night the night before and was exhausted, so I set an alarm to wake up just for the auctions. Alarm went off, I woke up, didn't remember why I'd set it, turned it off and fell back asleep. Apparently my subconscious knew what was up because an hour later I woke up in a panic, checked both auctions... they were over and both items sold for well below what I'd have been willing to pay. :-(

It's fun to poke around on there though. It's surprising how many interesting things there are. I'm kind of surprised that I've not seen any PC compatibility cards on there.

• 68kMLA Supporter
20 hours ago, Nathan_A said:

SuperMac Thunder II 1600 that sold for pretty cheap and a Farallon SE/30 Ethernet card that went for like $60 the other day

Uff, I need to spend more time on buyee then. I literary just joined for the CCII after @joshc win for a "junk" one. Hopefully I won't block your bids from now on, but seeing as I'mma upgrade form my SE/30 to a CCII, I'll probably just look for CCII accessories or LC PDS things.

I'm also incredibly surprised by the things I saw casually browsing it and at what prices (even with import tax and shipping still a ton bellow ebay prices).  

LOL, it's all good man. You kind of saved my bacon in a way, because in the last few months my office went from having zero vintage computers in it to having a NeXTstation Turbo, 2x SE/30s, 1.5x PM 7100s, a PM8100, and a PowerComputing clone. If that Color Classic II had arrived I'd have had to throw a rug over it and try to convince my wife I'd gotten a very stoic dog.

• 68kMLA Supporter

After some back and forth with buyee employs about shipping option, the package is now ready to ship via fedex with a 1 week estimation. I went for protective packaging to make sure it arrives okay and woo! 

Now to kill time for a week before I get it by making a list of games that run in the compact mac resolution.

Cannot wait for it to get here!

• 68kMLA Supporter
On 4/19/2021 at 5:07 PM, MrFahrenheit said:

As for games, the original MYST works great on it. I ram mine off of a Magneto Optical drive.

2404236F-0D6B-4A2F-A568-402C21FAFAA2.jpeg

Now that is beautiful!

• 68kMLA Supporter

Customs payment has been performed (I ended up paying just VAT) on it, due to Romania having a trade deal with Japan and I don't have to pay other taxes on it. Aka bring on the buyee buying spree now that I know this :D.

From tracking, it seems it already reached hungary aftering visiting Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Belgium and France. Next travel it will bring it to Bucharest and my apartment. This weekend can't pass fast enough :D