Playing back audio CDs in PowerMacintosh 6100

Fellow Macintosh enthusiasts,

I recently recapped an old CD-ROM drive in my Macintosh 6100/60 AV. It seems to work fine reading all CDs/CD-Rs I put in.

When I insert an audio CD, the drive seems to play it back but I hear no sound. All controls in the Apple CD player including starting/stopping of playback, jumping between tracks as well as ejecting work flawlessly.

The audio cable between the CD-ROM drive and the motherboard is attached. The internal speaker is confirmed to work either - I hear the startup bong as well as alert sounds. Volume control also works.

The Sound control panel shows just one output, namely "Built-in Audio out".

Is the CD audio expected to be audible from the internal speaker in this machine? If yes, what's needed to make it work?

I'm running Mac OS 7.6.1. The CD-ROM drive is reported to be SONY CDU-8003A.

Thank you in advance!

Edited by powermax
19 hours ago, BacioiuC said:

Have you tried connecting a regular speaker via the audio jack? Just to see if that works?

I haven't tried it yet. The drive doesn't have any audio jack. It only has a connector marked "Audio out". It's rather difficult to attach a regular speaker to it without a special cable.

20 hours ago, powermax said:

I haven't tried it yet. The drive doesn't have any audio jack. It only has a connector marked "Audio out". It's rather difficult to attach a regular speaker to it without a special cable.

Perhaps you should try the audio out jack on the 6100, not on the CD-ROM drive.  Have you tried that?

19 hours ago, Zippy Zapp said:

Perhaps you should try the audio out jack on the 6100, not on the CD-ROM drive.  Have you tried that?

Yes, I did. I attached headphones to it. I hear alert sounds but no CD sound.

20 hours ago, powermax said:

Yes, I did. I attached headphones to it. I hear alert sounds but no CD sound.

Do you have the audio wire that runs from the CDROM to the motherboard installed ?

Theres a special flat ribbon cable that connects to the drive audio output and into the motherboard cd audio header. 

Okay, let's get back on track.

I would like to know if someone owning a PowerMac 6100 can play back audio CDs using the internal speaker.

I'm going to check next if I can record CD audio with an audio recording software. The Sound control panel allows to select "Audio CD" as sound input device.

Go into the Sound Control Panel, choose Sound In, press the "Options" button, choose "Audio CD" and press the "Play Through" button, and then sound from CD should come out. This means you can not record sounds from a Microphone while an Audio CD is playing. 

When restarted, the change to the AudioCD input in the Control Panel is lost, meaning in order to listen to a CD you will have to go through that whole procedure every single time you turn on the computer. 

23 hours ago, powermax said:

Thank you a lot, @MrFahrenheit

It indeed works as you described. It looks like my restoration job was a success. I'm really happy now.:smiley:

I apologize that I asked you about ribbon cable even though you mentioned in your original post that you had cable attached. It was mostly to draw attention and ensure it was the correct cable you were talking about and that it was plugged in properly. 

I’m glad I could track down the answer for you. Enjoy your restored machine !