restored Apple IIe, keyboard keys not working, which options

• 68kMLA Supporter

Hi everyone,

this is my first Apple II, specifically IIe, black keyboard.

It's pretty neat now, fully cleaned, PSU and Monitor repaired.

It beeps, boots, tests OK even if the speaker buzzes during the test, I dunno if it's ok, display fine as well.

But I have a relevant number of keys which are not working. It's not the ROM or pins or flat cable because if I short the pins below to keyboard the character is displayed.

I tried unsuccessfully to to re-solder some pins and to put some drops of IPA.

Which options have I? A replacement I must say, but can I try something else before? Any option to open each single key and clean the oxide?

And then ... where do u suggest I but the keys? I'm from EU, Italy to be precise

thanks so much

• 68kMLA Supporter

thanks @waynestewart, the keys are stubborn, they do not want to collaborate much

instead of pulling with plier, I got better results with less frustration by pushing the pins from behind with a hard flat piece of plastic, I used the smartphones opening tools, it has name for sure :)

There was a lot of limestone and sign of corrosion.

I got how they work; now I will soak them in the vinegar, then in the contact cleaner, if it works fine otherwise I will look for a replacement, hoping the tactile feeling will be the same

see you in the next episode

• 68kMLA Supporter

(While waiting for the vinegar to operate, I re-installed the super serial card)

thanks @bibilit  @waynestewart I was able to repair all the keys and with great enthusiast I soldered them back and turned it on .... BUT

I got just "Appe ][" with no blinking cursor, WTH

I removed the serial card and ok I got the cursor BUT

it now shows the '2' keys (but sometimes it's the '3') as if it the key is kept pressed

I checked all the keys with a multimeter and none is closed/pressed, they are mechanically just fine.

If I press another key, it shows it, then after about 0,5 seconds it repeats the last key pressed, and this for any key.

I'm a little depressed :(

FYI

I turned it on only after cleaning the boards and fixing the APU and CRT

the first time I turned it on was OK, when I found the non working keys

the serial card was not installed the first time I turned it o

maybe not a coincidence

I do not have a spare keyboard to try

Any advice please?

• 68kMLA Supporter

Well, as a matter of fact, the keys seems to work. It was a donkey work, but it I learned a lot and I fixed the keys without spending.

After a night they all work, my bad, the EPA was not dried completely, and it is conductive; I did not know.

Still the Delete button does no delete the character on the left as I'd expect .. it prints a partially filled block.

I never used an Apple, so I dunno if it is ok.

Every time I insert the serial card, I see no cursor, just the Apple ][, it's frozen but the reset works. I shoild move this serial card issues in a new thread.

Every time I insert the serial card, I see no cursor, just the Apple ][, it's frozen but the reset works.

Silly question, in which Slot are you inserting the card ? not all are equal.

• 68kMLA Supporter
On 4/11/2021 at 8:28 PM, ironborn65 said:

Well, as a matter of fact, the keys seems to work. It was a donkey work, but it I learned a lot and I fixed the keys without spending.

After a night they all work, my bad, the EPA was not dried completely, and it is conductive; I did not know.

Still the Delete button does no delete the character on the left as I'd expect .. it prints a partially filled block.

I never used an Apple, so I dunno if it is ok.

Every time I insert the serial card, I see no cursor, just the Apple ][, it's frozen but the reset works. I shoild move this serial card issues in a new thread.

Normal behaviour for delete key. 

Slot 1 = Printer
Slot 2 = Modem / Serial Card
Slot 3 = Empty
Slot 4 = Memory Expansion (especially if using software written in Pascal)
Slot 5 = Mouse
Slot 6 = Disk Controller
Slot 7 = co-processor or AppleTalk

• 68kMLA Supporter

Ah ....  @bibilit there are not silly questions, maybe silly answers, thanks! I'm really dumb with Apple II

I got it right, the card is an IO Card not a serial,  my bad, there was no blinking cursor because it was trying to boot.

Control-reset and I got blinking.

I tried the dual drivers ... there are horrible clanging noises, I need to open it and do some cleaning and inspection, but apparently the PC is working.

I can try bigmessofwires floppyEMU or the https://asciiexpress.net/diskserver/ to load some apps

19 hours ago, ironborn65 said:

I got it right, the card is an IO Card not a serial,  my bad, there was no blinking cursor because it was trying to boot.

Control-reset and I got blinking.

I tried the dual drivers ... there are horrible clanging noises, I need to open it and do some cleaning and inspection, but apparently the PC is working.

Ok, the IO card is the Disk drive controller for the DuoDisk, so Slot 6.

Noise can be normal behavior for the drives, the DuoDisk is pretty reliable, mostly only needs head cleaning.

• 68kMLA Supporter

Yep, it works fine with floppyEMU

(I tried without success the diskserver, via the tape drive audio-in, but I'll try again, it's so fascinating)

The RAM test reports 64KB on board RAM is fine but the 80 column external RAM, not. And yes, the Esc-8 does not work.

I cleaned and pressed the two ICs with no luck.

Time to buy and replace chip number 2?

:)

IMG_20210413_212645.thumb.jpg.5c33004a12adf1286a1764d093df9ca7.jpg