How do you image write-protected floppies?

• 68kMLA Supporter

I know people here have various methods of defeating disk copy protection of various schemes. For instance, I just came into possession of a good copy of the game Balance of Power for the Mac 128k, and I would like to archive it for everyone because there seems to not be a copy on Macintosh Garden of the English version. Am I able to do this at all, or does someone with an AppleSauce or some other kind of fanciness need access to the disk?

@LaPorta If it's simple copy protection such as fake bad sectors, then DiskDup can do it by copying the bad sectors as bad sectors.  This is important because some copy protection schemes look for bad sectors in specific spots as their form of copy protection.  So a clean copy where you ignore bad sectors but don't copy them can result in the game no longer working.

However, if it's more clever copy protection such as unique partition tables, writing in areas of the disk not normally accessible, or still having data in sectors that are "bad," the best solution is to use a flux disk imager.  Flux imaging doesn't care how a disk is made, formatted, partitioned, written, etc., it just reads the magnetic flux on the disk and writes it back to another disk (or as an image file) in its completeness.  I use AppleSauce FDC since it's specifically made for Apple II and Macintosh disk drives, and its creator maintains an extensive archive of copy protection schemes that are built into the software (so it knows what it is and how to handle it.)

• 68kMLA Supporter

It appears no AppleSauces are available to buy any more (I missed the boat on that one). It utilizes some sort of clever scheme where it needs to start up from the System on it's disk, and somehow the system makes all other disks appear that they have no space and nothing can be copied to/from them. I have never seen anything like it. It does that to the internal HDs as well. I would love to get an AppleSauce.

I have a SuperCard Pro and a Kryoflux if you need someone to image it.   Try it out with some Copy and image programs first and maybe you will get lucky.  Come to think of it I will look through my software to see if I have a copy too. It could be the Amiga version but I'll check when I get home.

Edited by Zippy Zapp