IIfx Suddenly Doesn't Like My LaCie Electron Blue IV

I was sorting through a bunch of old floppies. One of the programs on the floppy hung the system and I was forced to press the reset button.

Upon pressing the reset button I was greeted to the Chimes of Death and this error on my LaCie monitor:

499466427_Screenshot2021-04-02033432.thumb.jpg.a0769a3960379e3db6762de061dce24d.jpg

Why would the monitor or High Res video card suddenly alter the signal frequency? I tried using my 8.24 video card, but the IIfx won't start up at all (I hear rapid clicking sounds from the power supply, not sure what is up with that). I also tried my other High Res video card; same problem.

Everything is nice and tight, all of the cards are seated properly, no leaking caps, rust, exploding batteries, dead bees, etc. WTF? 

According to the monitor you're running 183 kHz HSync and 15 Hz Vsync, that's nowhere near any kind of standard resolution.

The clicking in the power supply could be a hiccup mode it goes into when overloaded - but that occurred when you swapped graphics card? My hunch is perhaps a shorted tantalum capacitor (that hasn't exploded yet due to the power supply limiting the power).

It could be bad PRAM settings causing issues?

Could also be your power supply is very marginal and causing glitches all over the place, maybe check the voltages before troubleshooting further?

• 68kMLA Supporter
Posted (edited)

Usually when rogue software issues cause hardware failure symptoms, my first step is to unplug power and try to start the machine to let all residual power drain from the capacitors. Wait another 30-60 seconds to be safe and try a clean cold start.

If issues persist, I'd try pulling the batteries and reinserting (also making sure they have sufficient voltage.) This resets the PRAM like the keycombo, but also resets any hang conditions which may have existed in the PRAM/PMU circuitry.

Edit: also try reseating the RAM, since bad contact is the easiest death chime to fix, and fairly common.

Edited by jeremywork

A couple of things:

On 4/1/2021 at 9:30 AM, LA2YUA said:

but that occurred when you swapped graphics card?

Both the High Res card and the 8.24 were installed in the IIfx at the same time. Never had a problem with this setup until now.

My hunch is perhaps a shorted tantalum capacitor

I think all of the tantalums were replaced on this unit. Power supply (an Astec unit) was also recapped. I've owned this machine for seven years; been one of the best until now.

It could be bad PRAM settings causing issues?

Maybe, but I don't see how a reset from a hanging floppy program would cause that. I also installed two new Saft 3.6V batteries a couple of weeks ago. Was running solidly.

On 4/1/2021 at 9:40 AM, jeremywork said:

I'd try pulling the batteries and reinserting (also making sure they have sufficient voltage.)

I'll double check the voltages. I'd be very surprised if they are depleted already. 

Removed the batteries, checked voltages (both read very good on my voltmeter). Shuffled the video cards around, and now it works. Everything is back to normal. LaCie monitor reads 35.0kHz and 66.8Hz.

Haven't attempted to use the 8.24 card. I want to sort out my floppies first before blowing something up. 

• 5 weeks later...

Tried the 8.24 GC card again with my LaCie. The power supply still makes a rapid clicking noise when the GC card is connected to my LaCie. No clicking when connected to my 32" RCA HDTV, although the color has a green hue (same effect with my Mac II High-Res card).