The stars aligned in my favor, and I was able to finally buy my Holy Grail Mac - a Color Classic. I came across this listing and decided to take a chance. The listing says "functionality unknown", so I have no idea what I'm getting myself into. :) Hopefully there's no Sad Macs involved...

There's no power cord, keyboard, or mouse included, so can I get away with using what came with my Performa 635CD or do I need to hunt those down?

• 68kMLA Supporter
Posted (edited)

The Performa 635CD uses ADB peripherals, so you're good there. Power is just a standard IEC cable, everyone has a box of those, right? :P

Not to be an alarmist, but I do see a Maxell bomb that hasn't detonated in the picture of the back of the machine with the panel removed. Let's hope it doesn't decide to pop during shipment. When you get this machine, the absolute first thing you should do is remove the backpanel (carefully unlatch it), pull out the logic board (it's in an edge connector, you can just carefully but firmly pull it out), and immediately remove that Maxell before it changes its mind! Otherwise, both the logic and analog board should be recapped.

Edited by Daniël Oosterhuis
  • 68kMLA Supporter

Woo!  I learned to program on a CC; the only advantage it has over any other mac is in sheer charm and style, but it has both those things in spades.

And yes, please get the battery out...

• 68kMLA Supporter

Congrats! I have a CC (upgraded with a Color Classic II motherboard) and it's a delightful little machine - cute looks with decent performance. I will suggest that you immediately contact the seller and beg them to pack the thing like it's a Fabergé egg or a Ming vase or something similarly rare, valuable and (above all else) delicate. The plastics on Macs of this era are so brittle, and these all-in-one machines have the added burden of an internal CRT introducing a lot of mass to be supported by those brittle plastic internal structures. I'd suggest requesting that they pad the hell out of the machine inside a box, and then place that box inside a much larger box with a seemingly overkill-level amount of spongy foam padding between the two boxes. Even these precautions may not be enough, but it's the only way to raise the odds that it survives shipping intact. If I sound alarmist or anything, trust that I'm speaking from experience here - I sold a Color Classic on eBay years ago, and did an "adequate for other electronics"-level packing job, and when it arrived to the buyer, it was in dozens of jagged pieces. 

Congrats, and good luck!

H.

Ah, good catch on the battery! 8-o I totally missed it. The package was shipped before I had a chance to message the seller, so hopefully she knew what she was doing and the postal deities are on my side. If worst comes to worst I've been thinking of getting a 3D pen and on my true color monitor this filament looks like a near perfect match to the listing pictures, so I could always try to Frankenstein it back together... :lol: It definitely wouldn't be ideal, but it would be better than $533.80 worth of jagged pieces! Hopefully it doesn't come to that though.

The CC arrived safe and sound, and ahead of schedule! :grin: I set it up on the kitchen table, and when I pressed the power button on the keyboard there was a big... nothing. :lol: There were no signs of life whatsoever. Taking the time bomb out and checking  the capacitors will be my first step, as soon as I can get the back panel off. :-x One of the tabs is gone, and I can't tell if there are any screws to take out.

Once that's done what would be a good next step for troubleshooting? My soldering skills are precisely zero, so I'll need to send the boards out to be recapped.

On 4/2/2021 at 3:57 PM, beachycove said:

The power switch is also on at the rear?

It is, yes. I tried it in both positions 'cause I'm a derp who couldn't remember if on is I or O and didn't feel like Googling it. :lol:

Just thought I’d ask.....

Even 10 years ago, CC were known for refusing to start up after long periods in storage. It was said by some of the cognoscenti at the time that the best thing was to leave them plugged in overnight and then try again.

Chances are that it needs a recap, true, but I have a CC (Mystic, i.e., LC575 logic board transplanted) here that is still going strong without the analog board having been touched, so they don’t all go bad.  Leaving it to soak up electrons for a day or so might just be worth a try.

20 hours ago, beachycove said:

Chances are that it needs a recap, true, but I have a CC (Mystic, i.e., LC575 logic board transplanted) here that is still going strong without the analog board having been touched, so they don’t all go bad.  Leaving it to soak up electrons for a day or so might just be worth a try.

Most likely problem is in the Logic board, not the Analog. 

Capacitors, Egret... whatever. 

Probably won’t work without a minimum done to it. 

I'm assuming it needs a recap just out of sheer principle (along with all my other Macs), but I have an upcoming back surgery so I won't be doing any computer surgeries at least until summer. :( I'd like to get the battery out before the procedure, though. What kind of screwdriver do I need to get the back panel off? And how has the Mystic upgrade been? Would you say it's worth the money for a gaming/music recording computer?

I forgot to post a pic, so here it is! You know you're an enthusiast when you have a Mac casually chilling by your toaster... :lol:

763bea05e25a6c1b1d0c7d2c76811478.jpg

Those cabinets are interesting.  1960s?

I must've stared at 10,000 houses by now (trying to find one to move to!), so I feel like I can tell approximately when a house was built just by looking at some minor details like kitchen drawers :lol:

c

• 68kMLA Supporter
20 hours ago, bibilit said:

unlatching both tabs

These tabs often break, as they are brittle plastic at this point - so I would also suggest pre-heating them with a hairdryer first which will make it less likely that they snap off.

Yeah, one of the tabs is already gone. :-D I'm surprised there was still one left! I'll definitely try the hair dryer trick, assuming I have a hair dryer somewhere. The house was built in the 40s, but some parts were upgraded so I'm not sure what decade the cabinets come from. :)

19 hours ago, Juliet Elysa said:

The house was built in the 40s

Aha!  That was my next guess!

My grandparent's house was built in the mid 40s, and has similar cabinetry, so I suspect that they're probably original in your case.

20 hours ago, joshc said:

These tabs often break, as they are brittle plastic at this point - so I would also suggest pre-heating them with a hairdryer first which will make it less likely that they snap off.

Agreed.  Pretty much all Macs from the very late 80s through the late 90s is getting quite brittle at this point, especially everything beige/platinum.

c

20 hours ago, CC_333 said:

These tabs often break, as they are brittle plastic at this point - so I would also suggest pre-heating them with a hairdryer first

Once you have the panel off... you could also try a SCSI cable... just screw the cable into the connector then gently pull the cable... reduces the stress.  I also use this method to remove the various other 'Performa' logic 'board trays...  Of course... YMMV! 

Edited by mg.man
forgot the tabs on the CC only affect the panel...