Performa 630CD - HDD Replacement? SD card?

I just picked up a Performa 630CD. It's in great condition, but the HDD failed about an hour into using it. :( I had a generic SD-to-IDE device lying around. So I hooked it up to see if it would just work. Well, the Performa sees the device on the ATA channel, but it won't initialize it. When I try, using Drive Setup v1.7.3 (from the Legacy Recovery CD), it starts the initialization, then comes back after a second or two saying "initialization failed". I've tried various partition sizes, various SD card sizes, even making sure that none of the partitions are bigger than 2GB. Heck, I even tried a 1GB card I had. They all behave the same way - failed to initialize.

Is there something similar going on here like with the Mac SE/30 where I need to use a patched version of the utility to avoid Apple's hardware brand restrictions?

If not, can anyone recommend an SD-to-IDE unit that works with the Performa 63x lineup?

Like LaPorta, I also had a similar issue trying to get a CF card working on my LC630 - the ATA controller is one of Apple's earliest implementations so I'd suspect an incompatibility. Ended up finding a quiet fast cool 80GB 2.5" IDE hard disk coupled with a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE adapter and it's working a treat.

I recently replaced the drive in my 637CD. I used this combo. System 7 and the recovery CDs wouldn’t initialize it. But, I booted from a System 8 CD, initialized the drive, then ran the original restore cd. If I remember correctly, I had to make the first partition less than 1GB in order for the restore cd to work. 

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0026OYEEQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_RMZ1A1BBGE6PKNAK267T?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0009X3MNU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_6FA6HHW8P9VCDSZB2FFT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

On 3/23/2021 at 7:05 PM, mattsoft said:

Anyone tried an IDE to mSATA adapter with these performas? 

Not yet. But as soon as mine gets delivered, I will test it out and post here if it works. I'll be using the one from StarTech.com

I've gotta say that I really like this Performa. There's so many things about it that make it nicer/easier than dealing with the compact Macs. It's faster - by a nice margin. It's so much easier to deal with than the compact Macs as far as getting files on/off of it. That CDROM drive makes a world of difference! And the NUBUS network cards are still pretty cheap. Especially when you compare them to the PDS cards - it's like a factor of 5 or 10 times the price, if you can find one. And I love being able to plug it into a VGA-to-HDMI adapter and use it on my normal monitors and TVs. A 9" screen is certainly nostalgic, but these old eyes need a 27" monitor. :) And the color on the Performa is a welcome addition/upgrade over the compact Macs. The only negative I can see with it so far is that beyond removing the logic board or drives, it's a nightmare to work on. All these funky custom cables - what were they thinking? And it takes four mechanics and an aerospace engineer to get the chassis back together after you break it down. LOL But I'm still digging it. I kinda like it better than my Mac SE/30.

I am having trouble getting AppleShare to talk to my Mac Mini (OSX 10.5.8), but that's a subject for another thread.