Initialising a HD with my Plus

Hello, 

I recently purchased a Plus online and I was hoping to add a HD. 

I have an external Scsi disk I used on my Atari ST, a 4gb one. After getting the modified HD setup software and using the Fluxengine, I have been able to create a floppy that my Plus would accept, albeit via and external drive. 

The setup does now recognise I have the HD connected, and will complete a Test with no issues found, but won't initialise it. 

Any thoughts as to the reason why? 

Any help or leads you can think of? 

Many thanks

Posted (edited)

If it helps the disk is an IBM and its a 4gb disk. I am not sure but I thought I read that the Plus will only address upto 2gb. 

I have got a terminator in place and a scsi Id set to 2 as it was on the Atari. 

When the testing takes place, the front led flashes to indicate something is happening and at the test the Plus says it tested fine. As soon as I tell it to initiates it stops, and states it can't. 

IMG_20210318_100527.jpg

Edited by GBrigden

The Plus is finicky with SCSI drives.

4 Gb is far too much, and will take ages to format on a Plus, already troublesome on a more powerful setup.

40 Mo will be more than enough to get it going if you can find one.

A couple of thoughts... the 2Gb limit is a Mac OS limitation.  You should be able to partition the drive into smaller 'chunks'.  I use Lido - https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/lido-756

I think there is also an issue with the Plus not supplying termination power?  Some drives have a jumper to have the drive supply TERM PWR.  It doesn't look like that IBM one does, however - https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/hard-drives-hdd/ibm/DCAS-34330-ULTRASTAR-4330MB-3-5-SL-SCSI3-W-UL.html

...which takes you back to trying a different drive.  Where are you located?

Hi, 

Thanks for the response. I'll see if I can find an Apple disk. Kicking myself as I only got rid of all my Apple 68k kit some years back when I didn't think I'd need it again. 

I will see what I can do with the link you provided  too. 

BTW.... I am based in the South West UK( Somerset) 

20 hours ago, GBrigden said:

I am based in the South West UK

Ahh... I have a couple of external SCSI HDDs that work with a Plus...  I could probably let one go if you're interested.  I also have 2 x original HD20s... but I'd need to give some thought to whether I could part with one. 

The other option could be swapping your 4.3Gb drive for one that does provide on-drive TERM PWR.  I'm pretty sure I have a 2.? Gb one... and maybe a 4.3Gb one...  I'd need to check.  You can PM me if you want to discuss... good luck on your quest! 

• 2 weeks later...

Well after a little effort I have been able to get the Plus to recognise the HD and format it. 

So although it is an IBM 4.3gb disk, after adding the terminator diode to the logic board, creating a Lido 7 disk using a .dsk copy, into vMac, saving as a dc42 format, using fluxengine to create a disk and then using my external 800k drive, I now have 2gb partitioned HD on the plus. 

Next is to get an OS onto it and see if I can boot from it. So far no joy. 

IMG_20210327_150258.jpg

Well after success in getting the Plus to see the HD, it will not boot from it. 

I have tried to initialize it in a number of sizes, 2gb, 1gb, 40mb and still I can't get the Plus to boot. I can boot from the external floppy and there on the desktop are the 3 HD partitions. I have been able to transfer software and run them from the HD without issues. Just won't boot.

I have ordered new v3 Roms as I read that the first Roms were buggy. !maybe that's the answer. I'll see.

Finally got my Plus to boot off the IBM 4.3gb hard disk.

So in the end it took the diode option for self termination, Lido to initialize the large disk and a patched HD Setup to partition and add the Apple driver. 

I stuck with 4 drive partitions, the smaller boot disk being 20mb up to 1.5gb for the largest. System OS 6.0.8, blessed folder and after several days I was able to get the Plus to boot up without the floppy disk.

So before I can pack the Mac away I just need to suss out what's causing the internal floppy drive heads to fail to read or write.