quick powerbook 145/145b opinion?

how much are people still interested in these particular powerbooks either to retro-use a bit for fun or keep as a display item either way?

and is there any particular issues that these powerbooks have been known to crop up with outside the disk drive itself possibly being gummed up from storage age?

my relative didn't mention much other than re that he can give it to me 'to clean up' seeing I'm already on this forum while he didn't have much interest for signing up simply to dump a few things away then stop logging on anymore. of course theres no mention of seeing an apple power cable yet but both of us can only hope its maybe still around

(never thought I would visit the 68k powerbook category but anyhow I decided to post here as its technically not a trading post yet per se)

Any member of the 1xx series of PowerBooks is subject to the following issues:

1. Leaking capacitors on the motherboard, screen and power supply

2. Internal damage from an old, leaking battery

3. Broken hinge mounts on the screen thanks to brittle plastic

4. Hard drives that don’t work after the rubber bumpers for the drive heads have turned gooey with age

5. Broken/Missing port covers on the back

As far as desirability goes, any vintage PowerBook will garner some interest. That said, most people looking into a vintage, 1st generation PowerBook will often gravitate towards more capable models like the 170, 160, 165/165c and 180/180c. The only low end model that seems to get consistent love is the 100, due to its one-off design and smaller production numbers. Other factors like RAM and HDD upgrades will make a big difference in marketability. But no matter how you slice it, the 8 megabyte RAM ceiling and 1bit, passive matrix screens will limit their appeal to retro enthusiasts. 

But it could still be worth your while to list them on the Trading Post. If you filter by sold listings on eBay for the PowerBook 145/145b, it should give you a decent idea of what people are willing to pay for these models.

hmm the powerbook doesn't look too hard to carefully open up to recheck on signs of #1

thanks, when I want to see relative again and work on this powerbook a bit more afterward altogether later in the month I'll see if I have any further questions about it pre-marketplace. cheers till then :)

excuse me for just borrowing the first camera that was handy around here aside to cropping down the ex-4mb/each size etc .. and that I'm a bit tired after a long morning out .. but heres two rather nice photo from the sunny sofa .. I guess that the few small white marks stops it from being a perfect photo tho no? *grins*

I did want to ask if its possible for non-beige to also yellow out too? because I thought it was me at first but on comparing my photo to some example historic photos it looks like the keys on this one are a bit "off-coloured"

DSC_9111.JPG

DSC_9112.JPG

• 68kMLA Supporter
20 hours ago, chelseayr said:

I did want to ask if its possible for non-beige to also yellow out too? because I thought it was me at first but on comparing my photo to some example historic photos it looks like the keys on this one are a bit "off-coloured"

Absolutely. White and beige just make it more obvious, but other shades of plastic can yellow too. My SGI O2 has mostly turned a greener shade from its original blue due to yellowing for instance.

That keyboard has definitely yellowed some.