Installing 7.5.5 - Apple Legacy Recovery CD - wonderful convenience or a trap for the unwitting?

At first glance the Apple Legacy Recovery CD seems like a God-send. It's got ALL of the old systems on it , all the old disk tools, all the updates, its really quite remarkable. But the problem is that even if you somehow get the disc mounted on your Mac SE or SE/30 (most people don't have CDROM drives), the built-in installers don't work. Well, OK, some of them do work, but anything past 7.1.x doesn't. For instance, try installing System 7.5.3. It tries to mount something like 16 floppy images at once! The process just crashes on both my SE and SE/30. At first I thought it was a lack of memory - but my SE/30 has 128MB of RAM. It's not running out of RAM on that system. Now I'm starting to think it has something to do with Disk Copy. But honestly, I don't know enough about it to know.

So... short of making 16 actual floppy disks, or buying a FloppyEMU or a SCSI CDROM, how do you guys upgrade your SE or SE/30 to System 7.5.5 from 6.0.8 or 7.1?

This disc was a technician tool in the late '90s. The idea was you'd make a diskette set using your work computer and then use those floppies to install on the actual machine.

If you have an AppleShare server, you can use the 7.5.3 network access disk to connect to a server with the installation files on it.

• 68kMLA Supporter

If you're using a SCSI2SD, and if you have a modern machine with an SD card reader, you can just mount the SD card in BasiliskII and do all your installation etc from there. No need to mess about with CDs.

While you're in there, you can get all the other software and stuff you need onto your SD card very easily.

Last time I tried the 7.5 installers from the legacy CD, I had some issues with them. I'd recommend using the images from the Mac OS Anthology discs instead: https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/mac-os-anthology-99

Thanks guys! I appreciate the input.

Josh: I've been really struggling with the SCSI2SD's nature and the file system barriers. On my Windows PC, I can't get Basilisk to mount the drive images on the SCSI2SD card. I know you're supposed to be able to do it, but it just doesn't work for me. The only thing that works for me is to use DD to make an image of the part of the SCSI2SD card, make changes to that image in Basilisk, then use DD to write it back to the card. Not the friendliest of processes, and frankly, I'm not 100% clear on the numbers - block sizes, partition sizes, etc. So I know I'm walking on thin ice with it each time. I certainly don't know how to access the second or third SCSI devices on the SCSI2Sd card.

So I thought, well, you've got a Mac Mini right there, why not run Basilisk on it and do it there! Yes, that's a brilliant solution and part of why I bought the Mini in the first place. But, again I'm struggling. I can't seem to get a modern browser loaded on the Mini (OSX 10.5.8 doesn't seem to support any modern browser), so downloading anything from the web on it is a run-around. I tried to get Basilisk and the SCSI2SD software working on the Mac Mini, but I'm having zero success there as well. Basilisk just crashed to the desktop as soon as you try to open it. No errors, no nothing. Not sure what to do with that.

I might try pushing the OSX version back to 10.4 on the Mac Mini. I was reading that doing so will allow it to better read/write HFS volumes and deal with AppleTalk and old machines better. I don't know. I'm sure it won't help as far as the browser goes. LOL

• 68kMLA Supporter
19 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I can't seem to get a modern browser loaded on the Mini (OSX 10.5.8 doesn't seem to support any modern browser), so downloading anything from the web on it is a run-around.

Try this: https://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/ - will work on 10.4 too if you downgrade to that.

Basilisk just crashed to the desktop as soon as you try to open it.

Which version?  Been a while since I used Basilisk on PPC OS X.

On my Windows PC, I can't get Basilisk to mount the drive images on the SCSI2SD card.

This thread might help? I've not tried this myself, I don't use Windows.

• 68kMLA Supporter

I'd look at the version of 7.5.x on the MacOS Anthology '99, instead: that is a diskcopy image that mounts like a "CD" as one big image.  Some people have also had issues with the version of 7.5.x on the Legacy Recovery CD (I want to say it was @jessenator but I might be misremembering)

19 hours ago, cheesestraws said:

I'd look at the version of 7.5.x on the MacOS Anthology '99, instead: that is a diskcopy image that mounts like a "CD" as one big image.  Some people have also had issues with the version of 7.5.x on the Legacy Recovery CD (I want to say it was @jessenator but I might be misremembering)

Thanks! I'll give that a shot!

• 68kMLA Supporter
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, cheesestraws said:

(I want to say it was @jessenator but I might be misremembering)

Yep :)

It's very strange... The images mount and will (usually) install properly*, but the system will have some sort of corruption. This is either using the net install AppleScript, having booted from it (7.6 on CD), or by converting and loading the images onto a FloppyEmu.

It's done this on my compacts and Quadras. My PowerPC models are all weird enough, that I've simply used their respective Restore media.

Now I want to replace this CD in my archive with this MacOS Anthology image... Thanks, @cheesestraws

*The Legacy Recovery CD's System Folder is fine, but the images thereon will occasionally have issues, e.g. the 7.6 install, which craps out at disk 7 or something. Since my PowerPC machines are oddballs, I have their respective Motorola and PowerComputing CD images, which work fantastically. And the 4400's restore has its special(?) Or at least specific restore.

Edited by jessenator
fixing what mobile browsers do to formatting...
19 hours ago, jessenator said:

Yep :)

It's very strange... The images mount and will (usually) install properly, but the system will have some sort of corruption. This is either using the net install AppleScript, having booted from it (7.6 on CD), or by converting and loading the images onto a FloppyEmu.

It's done this on my compacts and Quadras. My PowerPC models are all weird enough, that I've simply used their respective Restore media.

Now I want to replace this CD in my archive with this MacOS Anthology image... Thanks, @cheesestraws

I'm glad you said that. I've had some weird issues with the Legacy Restore images too. I just thought I was screwing up something else. LOL

• 68kMLA Supporter
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I've had some weird issues with the Legacy Restore images too. I just thought I was screwing up something else. LOL

It was causing me to question my sanity and ability as well... I've picked this up over the last few years after a decade(s) long gap... I was loathe to pin it on the tools, but after a while I couldn't think what else it could be.

Edited by jessenator
mobile browsers, grumble grumble grumble
  • 68kMLA Supporter

In my extremely limited experience (mostly installing the UK-localised versions), the Anthology is better than the Legacy Recovery CD in terms of 'actually being what it attempts to be', but that is a small sample size.

I think there are multiple versions of the Legacy Recovery CD, some corrupted and some not.  I have an image of the CD that has the 16-floppy-images-installer of 7.5.3 on it, and it has worked just fine for me multiple times.  I just used it last weekend to reinstall 7.5.3 on my LC550 and the experience was flawless.  But, I downloaded my image of the Legacy Recovery CD years ago.  So maybe the images going around a few years ago were fine, or maybe there were multiple images even back then and I happened to get a good one, or it's the same image it always has been but the file has become corrupted over the years.

Either way, I think that's why there is so much confusion and inconsistency about the Legacy Recovery CD.  Sorry to hear it's complicating your efforts, Tom2112.

• 68kMLA Supporter
On 3/16/2021 at 6:17 PM, 68krazy said:

I think there are multiple versions of the Legacy Recovery CD, some corrupted and some not.

Would you mind posting the MD5 hash of  your CD image? Then we can know if they are the same or not.

I've burnt several copies of the Apple Recovery CD, as found on Macintosh Garden.  I think it's brilliant.  The issues I had were more due to the CD media I used than the software itself, and the old optical drives the media went into that had difficulty reading the data.

If I'm stuck it's the first piece of software I go to find a 68K software update.

@anthon I would, but I copied the contents of the Legacy Recovery CD image to my external SCSI2SD drive a few years ago and have been using the files that way ever since.  So I am using the contents of the image I downloaded long ago, but I'm not using the image itself anymore.  

I might have a CD sleeve with my original burned copy somewhere though.  That's what I was using before I got my external SCSI2SD and copied everything to it.  If I find the CD, I'll start a separate thread where we can start comparing MD5s.

On 3/17/2021 at 12:53 AM, anthon said:

Would you mind posting the MD5 hash of  your CD image? Then we can know if they are the same or not.

I have several originals, various versions, in lots that I've purchased this past year.  Still need to go through them and extract and upload ISOs from them.

I have been able to install every OS from the legacy CD, ive used that disc for years without issue. 

your system crashing, I dont know why. 

I have never had an original, but a volunteer coworker burned me one back in 2000 or 2001. I dont remember exactly when, but thats when I got my copy and that was neat. That was when I was volunteering at a computer recycling/reuse place as a freshman in high school. 

Edited by techknight

I have some original recover legacy cds too. But I think it is problem with .smi mounting. The legacy cd is made to be boot with it and then install. But the system on is 7.6 which is incompatible with SE and SE/30 and to mount .smi you need Disc Copy and disc copy need system 7.0.1... try to boot SE/30 with system 7.0.1 and drop the .smi images directly on disc copy app thats on cd. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 68kMLA Supporter

I'm afraid I need to recant...

I have just today (twice) successfully installed System 7.5.3 and then updated to 7.5.5 (from the images converted to .dsk) off of my FloppyEmu. I think combined the revelations  here: 

...and my own experimentation, I can, for myself at least, place the blame squarely at these two factors:

• Using Lido* as the formatting and driver tool for my SCSI2SD
  • Using a 3rd-party ROM over the stock one**

Additionally, trying to boot (a universal install for "any Macintosh" per the install options) with the 3rd-party ROM after a successful installation leads to a hang on the "Welcome to Macintosh" screen, FWIW. I don't know if some particular System Enabler needs to be present or what, but I assumed making it a "universal" install would negate anything else special.

I used a patched version of HD SC Setup (present in my named folder on the 'public' drive on 68kMLA's vTools) uploaded graciously by @Paulie. I managed to run it on my 4400/Starmax "bench" rig, and it initialized just fine (only taking quite a long time) and I was able to remap the partition to the remaining 1.8 GB of space.

*others have seen success with other disk tools: SilverLining or Anubis were named on IRC, but I haven't tested them personally.

**never tested a IIfx or IIsi ROM SIMM to see whether or not this would make a difference, but part of me doubts it would cause issues, as they're Apple products.

• 68kMLA Supporter

I can't speak to these ISOs but I know I had a hard time installing system 7.5.x on my SCSI2SD on native hardware until the newest firmware was released allowed blind copies to be turned off. It would always get to specific files and die.