BUG Pickles XA v2 Nubus graphics card

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am Toshiya Shinbayashi,  and a developer of BUG's Pickles video card.
Thank you for your interest in our old products. My company can not help you officially, so I will help you a little bit privately. We have little resources about these very old product, so There is a limit to what I can do. I have all printed manuals for all products, so I can send some scanned pages in pdf files.

36 minutes ago, t-shinba said:

I am Toshiya Shinbayashi,  and a developer of BUG's Pickles video card.
Thank you for your interest in our old products. My company can not help you officially, so I will help you a little bit privately. We have little resources about these very old product, so There is a limit to what I can do. I have all printed manuals for all products, so I can send some scanned pages in pdf files.

Hello Mr. Shinbayashi,

I am happy you decided to join us here!
I upload here the new version of the cdev files you sent me, but I am afraid that when the Win NT backup you told me about was done, the resource forks were deleted so it could be difficult to recover the files. 

cdev.zip

Wow! Hello @t-shinba! It's really cool to see you here. Your product portfolio is incredibly impressive. Clearly a lot of care and attention to detail went into everything I could find online about your work.

Hopefully we can revive some of it with your help. :-)

Cheers!

• 68kMLA Supporter

It's wonderful to have you here, @t-shinba! I hope we can come up with functioning drivers soon. Thank you for providing the files we have so far!

@pcamen and I ended up a bit stumped when the XA's TC58257AF chip didn't even show up in the TL866II's known chip database. He's working on tracking down a programmer with compatibility, so @Nathan_A, ROM dumping on these may become delayed.

Either way I'd still love to satisfy our curiosity regarding just swapping memory modules to see if additional resolutions become available.

I tried to find ROM binary file of Pickles-XA but couldn't find them. I can send other ROM binary file such as  Pickles24AW, 24A+, 24A .  I think that there is no problem perhaps because "binary file" is not related to the Mac file system.

There are three line up of Pickles XA serise.
*XA/Lite 1024*1024 pix, One single side VRAM board.
*XA        2048*1024 pix, One double side VRAM board.
*XA/Pro 2048x1536 pix, stacked VRAM board.
The ROM binaries are different , but you can use them each with wrong maximum resolutions.

2 minutes ago, t-shinba said:

There are three line up of Pickles XA serise.
*XA/Lite 1024*1024 pix, One single side VRAM board.
*XA        2048*1024 pix, One double side VRAM board.
*XA/Pro 2048x1536 pix, stacked VRAM board.
The ROM binaries are different , but you can use them each with wrong maximum resolutions.

Other than the VRAM boards are their other physical hardware differences in the RAMDAC ("pixel") clocks to support those different resolutions, or is that something that's just controlled/configured by the firmware?

• 68kMLA Supporter
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, t-shinba said:

Maybe XA/Lite and XA are same speed grade RAMDAC (TVP3020-135MHz ?), and XA/Pro is higher speed RAMDAC (TVP3020-200MHz ?).

This seems to make sense. It would be odd to ship a very expensive RAMDAC on a card sold only for 1024*1024.

@Nathan_A I'm looking more closely at your photos. There are a few differences between our two, which probably support on-the-fly switching on yours.

• Directly below the large PICKLES-TMY chip, between the memory headers XA RevD has pads for RJ7-RJ10 (all populated except RJ9.) XA/Lite RevC PCB is missing these pads entirely.

• To the left of the TVP3025 (top heatsink) XA RevD has a resistor on R22 and none on R24. XA/Lite RevC instead has one bodge from each running to U22, which is marked 'ACT08' instead of 'AC08.'

• U21 is populated and silkscreened 'AC08' on XA RevD. XA/Lite RevC is unpopulated and silkscreened 'AC02.'

Neither of our cards have U18 or U20 populated. These also may be implemented on XA/Pro (from the one B&W photo in the PDF it looks as though U20 is present but U18 is not -also heatsinks are not present, so perhaps not a production model.) Hopefully more pictures (and cards :)) exist.

Edited by jeremywork
  • 68kMLA Supporter
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Nathan_A said:

It sounds like the drivers posted earlier were a lost cause due to their resource forks being stripped?

So far this is the case.

My thought is perhaps the resource fork could be built from scratch, but knowing the file name may help identify it on a different system in the future. 

On 5/11/2021 at 12:00 PM, olePigeon said:

Anyone else love the fact that it supports a 1:1 ratio resolution?

Without the driver it’s unclear whether the full 1024*1024 is able to be output by the RAMDAC. When I select it I still see 1024*768 at the monitor, but the lower quarter is logically available below the bottom screen edge (presumably the driver enables virtual panning, though it may instead enable the output mode.) I think @Nathan_A described a similar behavior using 2048*1024 on the XA.

On 5/11/2021 at 8:28 PM, t-shinba said:

I post a picture of XA/Pro

Thank you! U18 and U20 look identical to our examples of XA/Lite and XA, and the silkscreen for those RJ7-RJ10 pads seems barely visible as well. 

Edited by jeremywork
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2021 at 4:33 AM, micheledipaola said:

Hello Mr. Shinbayashi,

I am happy you decided to join us here!
I upload here the new version of the cdev files you sent me, but I am afraid that when the Win NT backup you told me about was done, the resource forks were deleted so it could be difficult to recover the files.

Windows NT will store Macintosh resource forks as "alternative data streams" on NTFS volumes, but that assumes the machine was being used as an AppleTalk server with the Mac as a client.

Hi @t-shinba ,

Do you have access to a copy of the PicklesXA software that doesn't have the resource forks stripped from the files?

I've been trying many things to see if I can get the previous ones you posted to work using a variety of hacks, but so far I haven't been able to get anything to work.

Cheers!

On 5/28/2021 at 4:35 AM, cofford said:

Shinbayashi-san (hopefully that is correct and respectful!),

Would it be possible to get a manual for the Pickles 24A card as well?

Thank you!

-Casey

Hello Casey san. I have a manual for the Pickles 24A card, so I will scan it in some days. Please wait a few days.