RasterOps 24XLTV NuBus Display Adapter dead?

• 68kMLA Supporter

I recently picked up a RasterOps 24XLTV card with its original box. I've been trying to get it to work, but have had no luck.

On the IIcx I recently got, it doesn't do anything, and makes the monochrome card output garbage. Now, I bought this IIcx as broken, and this behavior was described by the seller, but it worked for me first try... until I tried the RasterOps card.

I left it for a while as I just figured the IIcx with its original caps might be causing the problem, but this evening I pulled out my known good Quadra 800 to test with it.

While onboard video keeps working with the card installed, the card itself doesn't do anything, no display or logo shown on power up, nothing. Installing the RasterOps extension did nothing either, and I don't get any additional options in the monitor panel.

I did notice the card gets very warm. This appears to be an early revision of 24XLTV, with several bodge wires not seen in online pictures of this card, as well as the use of Altera EPM5128JC-1 UV Ceramic PLDs, rather than the plastic ICs used on the cards pictured online.

Could these PLDs have gone bad? I do notice they get particularly warm.

Tried dumping the ROM, and comparing it to a copy of it online, but the differences are small enough that I doubt it'd be corrupted.

Hopefully a RasterOps wizard on this forum can help me out, it'd be a shame if I can't get this card working!

Ev-qzl3XYAE0SPo?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• 68kMLA Supporter

Silly question, but did you clear the PRAM after installing the card?  I've got an older RasterOps card (ColorBoard 108+) that gets very picky if I play musical video cards in the IIci where it's installed.  It also gets noticeably warm to the touch but apart from that I haven't noticed any ill effects.

I gather from a quick search that Command + Shift + Option during startup allows the user to set a resolution with RasterOps cards. I have no experience of RasterOps hardware per se, but I have certainly seen Nubus cards  that misbehave until the required startup with the right key combination has been completed.  Apple ColorSync monitors and later generic LCDs have been especially problematic with the SuperMac card I have here somewhere, with a blank (black) display being the result until a proper resolution has been forced.... You might play with your 24XLTV accordingly, and see if it helps at all.

• 68kMLA Supporter
On 3/16/2021 at 12:58 AM, EvilCapitalist said:

Silly question, but did you clear the PRAM after installing the card?  I've got an older RasterOps card (ColorBoard 108+) that gets very picky if I play musical video cards in the IIci where it's installed.  It also gets noticeably warm to the touch but apart from that I haven't noticed any ill effects.

The Quadra 800 is missing a PRAM battery, and I hadn't plugged it into power until after installing the card. It had been sitting for over a month untouched and out of power, so I would assume it was cleared.

Thanks both for your insights, but I'm afraid there's something more wrong with this card, I decided to check the tantalum capacitors for shorts, and all of the big ones register as shorted. Desoldered the lot (all the same value anyways), but nope, the short is still there. After already running into this same problem with my Quadra 700 logic board which I still haven't managed to solve, this definitely kills my motivation :(