Burn-in problem of SE CRT on eBay

Hi everbody,

I'm watching some Mac SEs on ebay, and I found two with relatively reasonable prices.

But upon enlarging the pic, I found that both of them have some kind of burn-in dark stripes on the top (during the booting process). I don't know if this is the burn-in problem or just the un-synchronized picture being taken by a camera.

There are two Mac SEs being labelled as Mac 1 and Mac 2 in the following pics

Mac 1's CRT seemed more burned-in than the Mac 2? Because I can see a darker stripe on the top of the CRT at the booting frame, is this really the burn-in phenomena?

However Mac 2's and Mac 3's CRTs also seemed to have a slightly darker stripe on top, I dunno if this is the burn in marks (inside the red circle)....or just some unsynchronisation issues during the taking of the picture.

Which one is better? And advice is appreciated. Thanks

Ivan

s-l1600 copy.jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

Edited by ivannudem

"Mac2" and "Mac3" look fine to me, screen burn in was common after a few years of use in Compact Macs.  It is most visible when the screen is off (unsightly if on display) - perhaps ask the seller for a pic of that instead of when displaying an image, you'll get a better idea that way. 

Edited by Byrd
  • 68kMLA Supporter

At the age of these machines now, burn in is going to be common and you're more likely to end up with a CRT with burn in than one without any burn in.

All three of those have burn in to different degrees.

The burn in is more noticeable with the machine off - ask the seller to send you images with the machines off.

• 68kMLA Supporter

To butcher a wonderful phrase from Bishop Barclay's attack on the calculus: those are just "the ghosts of departed menu bars". Many, many compacts have it, just like scratches and dents on the cases.  It's the scars of use, and in the long run it's basically unavoidable.

• 68kMLA Supporter
Posted (edited)

The good news is, it’s easy to swap CRTs between compacts.  If you end up collecting a few over time, as seems likely since you are here :) you will probably end up with one or two that have basically no burn-in out of sheer luck and you can swap around your CRTs to get a daily driver that’s basically burn-in-free.  It’s quite hard to judge in photos unless it’s truly terrible.  (Lighting matters a lot too, I once sold a spare 9” Mac CRT on EBay that I thought had no severe burn-in and the buyer sent an angry note after purchase with a photo showing very obvious burn-in when it sits in the sun with the power off ...  honest mistake but I really hadn’t noticed in my somewhat darker workspace [I just gave him a full refund since return shipping of a CRT didn’t make sense] ... )

Edited by Crutch
  • 68kMLA Supporter
Posted (edited)

Very common, yes, but if those photos are true to life, it actually is not too bad. I have many that are practically burn-in free, but some are slight. I have a test stand that I popped a working but badly burned in tube into (who cares if it is for tests?) and even that is doable. It all depends how much you see it and bothers you.

Edited by LaPorta