Ugh! Frustrated and need some help. Mac SE won't recognize SCSI2SD or MacSD

19 hours ago, ymk said:

That's a good sign.

On line 9 of the macsd.ini file, change the HDD SCSI ID from 5 to 0.

Also add semicolons at the beginning of lines 3-7 (starting with "[4:cdrom]").  This will disable the emulated CDROM.

OK, I wasn't using your config. But I'll switch back to the SD card that came with the MacSD and make those changes.

OMG! It's working!

Thanks!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

So what would you say was the trouble? SCSI ID overlap? Wrong termination?

19 hours ago, ymk said:

Great!  Overlap isn't happening if it's the only device.  Most likely, the Mac was trying to boot from the Apple Legacy Recovery CD at SCSI ID 4.

So when I re-enable the CDROM section, I should make sure never to have the first CD image be a bootable image to make sure it boots from a disk image?

19 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

So when I re-enable the CDROM section, I should make sure never to have the first CD image be a bootable image to make sure it boots from a disk image?

Use the Startup control panel to set the boot device.  Then you should be able to re-enable the CDROM without problems.

19 hours ago, ymk said:

Use the Startup control panel to set the boot device.  Then you should be able to re-enable the CDROM without problems.

Ugh. Since it boots into a minimal install of System 7.5.5, there's no control panel options for startup. Hmm... how am I going to get that over there...

20 hours ago, ymk said:

For now, try swapping the HDD and CDROM SCSI IDs.

OK, I got sidetracked trying to get a System 7.5.5 disk loaded in my FloppyEMU so I could copy over the control panel items and extensions.

I saw your reply, and tried it. But now I'm getting Sad Mac whether I have the CDROM on ID 4 and the drive image on ID 0, or the reverse...

Here's my .ini

; SCSI drive configuration ====================

[0:hdd]
image_file=OS_755_500MB.dsk

[4:cdrom]
disc_id_min=18
disc_id_max=100
disc_id=19
image_file=apple_legacy_recovery.iso

; Disc catalog ================================
; .bin images must be accompanied by a .toc 
;  or .cue file of the same name.

; Monty Python & the Quest for the Holy Grail
[disc]
image_file=monty_python.iso
id=18

; Apple Legacy Recovery - System Software Installers
[disc]
image_file=apple_legacy_recovery.iso
id=19

19 hours ago, ymk said:

Some more options:

• Reset the PRAM
  • Boot with the mouse button held down
  • Use SCSI IDs 0 and 1

SCSI ID 0 for the disk image and 1 for the CDROM seems to have done the trick.

Thank you so very much for troubleshooting this with me so directly! I can't thank you enough.

I think it's time for me to hit the sack. Tomorrow I'll see if I can get either of those SCSI2SD devices working again. I suspect it will be a similar experience, between termination and SCSI IDs.

Thanks again, and have a good night!

Tom

Well, for any of those following along: YMK helped me sort out my MacSD device, and now I'm working on my two SCSI2SD devices. I have one back working.

For those that care to know how, it's somewhat of a mystery to me. I swear I followed SavageTaylor's setup instructions to the letter a couple of times. But this afternoon, I tried it again. I took the SD card out of the SCSI2SD device and put it in a normal USB card reader and into my Win10 PC. I formatted my SD card - just an ordinary Windows format, FAT32. I didn't bother writing anything to it, since I knew I would be overwriting it with an HFS image. I downloaded SavageTaylor's System 6.0.8 2G image, and wrote it to the card with BalenaEtcher. Then I plugged the SD card into my SCSI2SD and plugged that into my Win10 PC via the USB connector. I fired up SCSI2SD-util (for v6 boards, since mine is a v6 board), read the device's config. Change the config to the minimal setup - one 2GB drive on SCSI ID 0. No other devices, no other settings, just like shown on SavageTaylor's blog about it. I wrote the settings to the device, and ejected it from Windows. Then I connected it up to my Mac SE and fired it up. IT WORKED!!!

I swear to the Almighty I had tried this at least twice before. But I must have used a bad disk image or bad settings or something. So, after I saw it worked, I shutdown my Mac and went back to Windows and configured the SCSI2SD for three 2GB drives on SCSI ID's 0,1, & 2. Saved the config to the device and put it back in my Mac and it worked. It even still had my old files on the second and third drives that were there from before this whole mess started!!! I didn't realize they would survive a couple of formattings, but I guess that's to be expected when you use quick format and your dealing with drive images.

Now all that's left to do is repeat the process with my second and "new" SCSI2SD device and prove that it works. Then try to get it to work in my "new" Mac SE/30!

A HUGE thank you goes out to ALL the folks that helped me along the way. I was supremely frustrated and just spinning my wheels. I think I had multiple problems along the way including bad disk images, conflicting SCSI IDs, and bad termination. Lessons learned!

Thanks again,

Tom

• 68kMLA Supporter
20 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

A HUGE thank you goes out to ALL the folks that helped me along the way. I was supremely frustrated and just spinning my wheels. I think I had multiple problems along the way including bad disk images, conflicting SCSI IDs, and bad termination. Lessons learned!

SCSI can become easily overwhelming, and when you also have to worry about disc images, it's extremely understandable to get yourself in a bit of a knot.  We've all done it, or at least I have...  glad you're on the way out of the chaos now though!

I did manage to get my new SCSI2SD working. I think part of my problem is that the software for v6 SCSI2SD isn't working right. For one, I can't for the life of me get it to upgrade the firmware - which leads me to believe the driver for it isn't working right.

Fortunately, I did get it working (without upgrading the firmware).

But now my problem is trying to get System 7.5.5 loaded on my Mac SE/30. I think I'll start a new thread about that. It's not really related to this.

• 68kMLA Supporter
On 3/12/2021 at 4:42 PM, Tom2112 said:

I managed to get Lido and SCSI Probe onto a zip 100 boot disk of System 7.5.5. SCSI Probe shows nothing attached to the SCSI bus, except the Zip drive and the Mac itself. It also says the bus is NOT terminated (even though I have the termination turned on both the MacSD and the Zip drive).

You can't do this. Double termination on a SCSI bus will cause havoc. ONLY the _end_ of a SCSI chain must be terminated. Nothing else. It might work some of the time, flakily, but it's just not allowed by the SCSI specification.

19 hours ago, aperezbios said:

You can't do this. Double termination on a SCSI bus will cause havoc. ONLY the _end_ of a SCSI chain must be terminated. Nothing else. It might work some of the time, flakily, but it's just not allowed by the SCSI specification.

You're absolutely right. And I knew that. But I was so deep into the weeds on this, I was second guessing what I knew about SCSI. But I got it sorted out. Thanks!

• 68kMLA Supporter
19 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

You're absolutely right. And I knew that. But I was so deep into the weeds on this, I was second guessing what I knew about SCSI. But I got it sorted out. Thanks!

Understood. We've all been there. It's a really easy thing to overlook, especially when you're toggling things on and off on multiple devices, particularly if late at night and/or sleep deprivation is a factor :)

• 68kMLA Supporter
On 3/16/2021 at 2:18 AM, Tom2112 said:

But now my problem is trying to get System 7.5.5 loaded on my Mac SE/30. I think I'll start a new thread about that. It's not really related to this.

If I recall, you have the Mini with 10.5 installed. Two ideas: hook the SCSI2SD via USB to the Mini directly, or insert the SD card into the Mini. Either way, your SD partitions should show up on the Mini's desktop. Get either a CD or multi-floppy version of 7.5 disk images loaded onto the SD partition of your choice (as well as a copy of Disk Copy 6.x that will run ont he SE/30). Put the SD card back into the SCSI2SD (or disconnect the USB wire, whichever method you used). Start up the SE/30, mount the CD image or all floppy images, and then proceed with installation.

Here is a page with multiplke different 7.5.1 installations:

https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/macintosh-os-751-update-10-751-520075-performa-631cd52xx62xx6300cd

Here is System 7.5.3 in multi-floppy format:

https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/system-753

Here is the update to 7.5.5:

https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/macintosh-mac-os-755-update-755-pm-73869600-5500-6500-series#Mac_OS_7.5.5_Update

The update to 7.5.5 is poster separately because I don't believe there was a true 7.5.5 standalone installer for Macs not shipped with it.

I hope that helps! Please pass along any questions.

21 hours ago, LaPorta said:

If I recall, you have the Mini with 10.5 installed. Two ideas: hook the SCSI2SD via USB to the Mini directly, or insert the SD card into the Mini. Either way, your SD partitions should show up on the Mini's desktop. Get either a CD or multi-floppy version of 7.5 disk images loaded onto the SD partition of your choice (as well as a copy of Disk Copy 6.x that will run ont he SE/30). Put the SD card back into the SCSI2SD (or disconnect the USB wire, whichever method you used). Start up the SE/30, mount the CD image or all floppy images, and then proceed with installation.

Here is a page with multiplke different 7.5.1 installations:

https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/macintosh-os-751-update-10-751-520075-performa-631cd52xx62xx6300cd

Here is System 7.5.3 in multi-floppy format:

https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/system-753

Here is the update to 7.5.5:

https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/macintosh-mac-os-755-update-755-pm-73869600-5500-6500-series#Mac_OS_7.5.5_Update

The update to 7.5.5 is poster separately because I don't believe there was a true 7.5.5 standalone installer for Macs not shipped with it.

I hope that helps! Please pass along any questions.

Thanks LaPorta!

You're correct, I do have a Mac Mini with OSX 10.5.8 on it. And it is nice that I can just put the SD card from the SCSI2SD into it and read it directly in the OS (without the shenanigans needed on Windows). I've used it to copy over several files already. But I've been struggling getting the SCSI2SD software to work on the Mac Mini, and it seems to only see the first "device" I have configured on the SD (SCSI ID 0). It doesn't see the other devices (SCSI IDs 1 and 2 are setup with additional 2GB drives). I'm not sure how to get a CD ISO or toast working on the SCSI2SD as a device. Just copying the files/folders over doesn't seem to work. Once over on the Mac SE/30, the installers fail. It's something to do with Disk Copy and AppleScript, but it fails to mount all the floppy images to do the OS install. Seems almost like it needs to boot from the CD in order to work.

Is there a System 6 or 7 application that will mount an ISO file as a CD? Maybe that would work...

Also, let me ask: is there a way to combine all of the install files from all of the floppies into a single "folder"? I've tried it, but when you run the installer, it still stops and asks you to insert the actual floppies. It would be great to just have a folder i could copy over and run the installer.

• 68kMLA Supporter

@Tom2112 Did you see my post in your other thread? You can do the install etc in an emulator (BasiliskII) on your Mac mini, so you don't have to go through all this effort to try and get a CD recognised on the scsi2sd.

19 hours ago, joshc said:

@Tom2112 Did you see my post in your other thread? You can do the install etc in an emulator (BasiliskII) on your Mac mini, so you don't have to go through all this effort to try and get a CD recognised on the scsi2sd.

I did, thanks!

One question, while I'm thinking about it: why do those installers work in Basilisk but not directly on the Mac SE/30? By that, I mean, if I copy over the files/folders from the Apple Legacy Recovery CD and drop them into my SCSI2SD disk image, then boot up the SE/30 and try to run the installer, it crashes with a Disk Copy/ AppleScript error. Is it pathing in the scripting? Do I have something setup wrong with Disk Copy?

• 68kMLA Supporter

Strange. Mounting multiple floppy images should be no harder than dragging all the icons onto disk copy at

once. As for ISO mounting, Adaptec Toast under System 7 would work for that. 

Id be interested to see screen shots of what happens when you try to mount the disks, what error you get.

• 68kMLA Supporter

On 3/16/2021 at 8:45 AM, Tom2112 said:

I did, thanks!

One question, while I'm thinking about it: why do those installers work in Basilisk but not directly on the Mac SE/30? By that, I mean, if I copy over the files/folders from the Apple Legacy Recovery CD and drop them into my SCSI2SD disk image, then boot up the SE/30 and try to run the installer, it crashes with a Disk Copy/ AppleScript error. Is it pathing in the scripting? Do I have something setup wrong with Disk Copy?

Tom,

It's also worth pointing out that you can just slap an ISO on an SD card using DD, BalenaEtcher, or whatever, and install from it, to a separate volume on the same SCSI2SD. The SCSI2SD can be both your CD-ROM and HDD. See attached screenshots on how to configure.

image.png

image.png

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 3/17/2021 at 1:14 AM, aperezbios said:

Tom,

It's also worth pointing out that you can just slap an ISO on an SD card using DD, BalenaEtcher, or whatever, and install from it, to a separate volume on the same SCSI2SD. The SCSI2SD can be both your CD-ROM and HDD. See attached screenshots on how to configure.

Thanks! I'd seen that option under the SCSI2SD tool, but really wasn't sure how to configure the sector size/count settings.

Then I discovered a sweet new feature of my 2020 version of v6 of the SCSI2SD: you can plug the USB connection into a newer Mac and it will mount all of the SCSI drive images as drives and you can copy files over directly! This is what I've really been wanting to do all along. I've got a double-sneaker-net process going on right now.

Internet -> Modern Win10 PC -> USB stick -> Mac Mini (running OSX 10.5.8) -> SCSI2SD via USB cable -> 68k Mac

It's kinda a pain in the rear, but until I can get a modern browser on the Mac Mini (so I can skip the Win10 box) and/or get file sharing working between the 68k Mac and the Mac Mini, it's the best I've got. It's not too bad of a hurdle.

(For anyone reading this later: the mounting of the SCSI2SD images on a more modern Mac wasn't working quite right on my older SCSI2SD. It is v6revF. My Mac Mini only recognizes the first disk image on the SCSI2SD, where my v6rev2020d will recognize ALL the images on the SCSI2SD and mount them.)

Edited by Tom2112