Saw this on eBay. Pricey, but willing to pay if good quality. My IIfx has been stuck at 8MB since I bought it years ago. There are some applications that I want to run on the IIfx but they require more than 8MB to run. I also want to try out 8.1 just for fun. 

20 hours ago, Concorde1993 said:

Saw this on eBay. Pricey, but willing to pay if good quality. My IIfx has been stuck at 8MB since I bought it years ago. There are some applications that I want to run on the IIfx but they require more than 8MB to run. I also want to try out 8.1 just for fun. 

I’ve purchased 16 of them from him. They’re very well made. I highly recommend them. 

If you think they’re pricey, you should have looked for IIfx ram last year BEFORE he made them. I paid $200 for 8x 4MB SIMMs and that was reasonable. This stuff is essentially non-existent. 

Just looked up the thread here. Everyone seems to have given positive reviews so I'll go ahead and place an order.

22 hours ago, MrFahrenheit said:

If you think they’re pricey, you should have looked for IIfx ram last year BEFORE he made them.

My IIfx has largely remained dormant for the past few years so there hasn't been a need to really upgrade anything. And yeah, Apple stuff has become ridiculously expensive over the past decade. Although in defence of the IIfx, the RAM required was unique to only that model, or so I've read. 

• 3 weeks later...

RAM came in yesterday. Works, although I noticed that the IIfx takes a bit longer to reach the Welcome screen and power on my LaCie monitor. Afterwards, it's amazingly fast, although it wasn't a slouch even with 8MB. Currently running SoftWindows for Macintosh, sound driver issues notwithstanding (never thought I would play Windows 3.1 Solitaire on a vintage Apple product). :evil:

My only caveat is I was stuck paying some customs fees, however given the exclusivity of parts for the IIfx I couldn't pass this up. Such is the joy living in Canada. 

Pics:

DSC_1347.thumb.jpg.98f51884e1622913ecdb1bdbc2d74bf2.jpg

DSC_1344.thumb.jpg.05fca2ca8b2e6a355681eed02582116e.jpgDSC_1345.thumb.jpg.46c2973499573d4bf3463917d4265313.jpgDSC_1343.thumb.jpg.b447adacca2e6b39216b6dbc360a5f43.jpgDSC_1342.thumb.jpg.e35c1f1c488f55a7c539b84de4b83745.jpg

The length of time from power up to the System software loading is the hardware initializing and the RAM being tested. All Macs test their ram on powerup, and the more you have the longer the test takes. My Quadra 650 has 136MB and it’s at least a minute from bong to the grey screen before it checks the disks. 

On the IIfx, if you find it annoying, you can purchase a replacement custom ROM from “Big Mess of Wires” which has a modified ROM image on it, allowing you to bypass the RAM test on boot. 

I agree, use the custom ROM images if you don't like the check on boot. Though like I said in my auction...I do notice that the size of the boot simm is a little smaller than it should be, so it doesn't make a good grip on the socket sometimes. I use a rubber band on mine. 

Just ordered another set of the 128 as a backup. Loving the upgraded RAM and the build quality is exceptional thus far. No issues with gripping, fit, etc. 

On 4/1/2021 at 4:24 AM, hyperneogeo said:

I agree, use the custom ROM images if you don't like the check on boot.

It's not a real hindrance, maybe an extra 35-45 seconds to get to the Welcome screen. Please remember to leave feedback on eBay, thanks. 

On 3/10/2021 at 5:06 AM, Concorde1993 said:

I also want to try out 8.1 just for fun.

Mac OS 8.1 runs well on my IIfx. I have 32MB at the moment although I have RAM from hyperneogeo that has to be put in.

It's very useful when you want to access HFS+ volumes.

I have uploaded a stuffed ISO of Mac OS 8.1 for the IIfx to the Mac Garden: http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/mac-os-81-a-mac-iifx-or-maybe-just-a-68030

I've got a boxed copy of 8.1 and the HD that was pulled from my disintegrating Performa 5215CD also runs 8.1 (I even have the 20+ OEM floppy series too, just missing the box). I'll be installing that drive sometime soon on the IIfx to pull off whatever data is still on it, I might even do a fresh install of 8.1; it all depends on the condition of the drive.