Finally, I luck out on finding a Macintosh SE/30 in the UK!

• 68kMLA Supporter

I actually bought this several months ago, for less than £200, and it was marked as not-working, no peripherals. So i opened it up fully expecting a maxell bomb the size of wales...but look at that board! Since 1989, that battery has been slowly ticking away - my mrs wasn't even born when this battery was made!

Oh and the 68030 in this thing is even socketed! The neck board on the CRT was also completely disconnected. So...i just removed the battery, plugged in the neckboard powered it back up and BONG!

WOOO!

Now i just need an ethernet card, another SCSI2SD, a Micron XCeed and a 68040 accelerator....

Oh and in the interim, because i'd forgot about this one, i actually bought two more from Japan :D

DSC_0540.JPG

DSC_0547.JPG

DSC_0535.JPG

DSC_0536.JPG

DSC_0538.JPG

DSC_0537.JPG

• 68kMLA Supporter

Congrats on the nice find!  Doesn't even look like the screen has any burn in and getting both a socketed motherboard and one that looks in reasonable shape before recapping is quality indeed.  Grayscale and acceleration makes it an even better machine, though if you're intending to use both a 68040 and grayscale make sure you pick up a Carrera or the Bolle clone since the XCEED still doesn't play nicely with the Turbo 040 (unless Bolle has gotten that to work recently).

On 3/7/2021 at 7:31 PM, Kai Robinson said:

Now i just need an ethernet card, another SCSI2SD, a Micron XCeed and a 68040 accelerator....

Oh and in the interim, because i'd forgot about this one, i actually bought two more from Japan :D

• 68kMLA Supporter
On 3/8/2021 at 12:31 AM, Kai Robinson said:

a Micron XCeed

The last one sold for a mere £1,800 on Buyee so good luck! I know a clone is supposed to be in the works but I think it's still a way off yet.

A very nice find indeed!  My suggestion for a video card:  go with an Interware GrandVimage 24-16....well, if you can find one!  I got lucky and found one on Yahoo Japan.  It's pretty awesome because not only can it display millions of colors at a variety of resolutions (like 1024 x 768), but it also accelerates your video...which is nice if you want to use your SE/30 to play games and watch videos!