I have ordered and received a SCSI2SD v5.2 with SD card and bracket from Inertia Computing. I have been trying to find the best instructions on how to get the SCSI2SD card loaded with System 7. The best instructions seem be provided by this link 

http://www.savagetaylor.com/2018/01/05/setting-up-your-vintage-classic-68k-macintosh-using-a-scsi2sd-adapter/

For those that use a SCSI2SD card in their SE/30s are these the best instructions?

I've started the steps in these instructions, but cannot find a version of the "dd" application for macOS Mojave. All the links seem to provide are "dd" Windows versions. IS there a "dd" application for macOS? if not, what applications should be used instead of "dd"?

• 68kMLA Supporter
20 hours ago, old_hitech said:

I have ordered and received a SCSI2SD v5.2 with SD card and bracket from Inertia Computing. I have been trying to find the best instructions on how to get the SCSI2SD card loaded with System 7. The best instructions seem be provided by this link 

http://www.savagetaylor.com/2018/01/05/setting-up-your-vintage-classic-68k-macintosh-using-a-scsi2sd-adapter/

For those that use a SCSI2SD card in their SE/30s are these the best instructions?

I've started the steps in these instructions, but cannot find a version of the "dd" application for macOS Mojave. All the links seem to provide are "dd" Windows versions. IS there a "dd" application for macOS? if not, what applications should be used instead of "dd"?

What other “tools” do you have?  I’ve never used an image when setting up a SCSI2SD.  Generally it’s insert a SCSI card, set up with a third party formatter and then install a new system. Do you have a FloppyEmu?

Ok. Thanks for the instructions on "dd". But I think I'd like to use the process that superjer2000 has outlined. When you say "insert a SCSI card" do you mean install the SCSI2SD v5.2 card n my SE/30?  Do I need to update the SCSI2SD card's firmware? I'd prefer not to have to do this step. For the "setup with third party formatter"  Just how exactly do I do this? Do I download a third party formatter (which one should I get/use?) on my MacBook Pro (macOS Mojave) and connect my MacBook Pro to the SCSI2SD card via USB (on MacBook Pro) to microUSB (on the SCSI2SD card), then run the third party formatter on MacBook Pro?

When you say "install a new system", do you mean install System 6 or System 7 on my SCSI2SD card that is in my SE/30? I do have a FloppyEMU and it seems to have System 7 installation disk images on its SD card. I also have original System 7 3.5 inch disks and a working internal floppy drive on my SE/30. So I could go that route, if that will work (not hang or crash midway through the System 7 installation process due to some issue with the SCSI2SD card setting). Sorry for all the questions, but I have read so many posts/replies on the SCSI2SD subject that I become confused on which steps are actually needed for my SE/30.

• 68kMLA Supporter
Posted (edited)

Yeah, @superjer2000's method is generally what I do, I don't tend to muck about with images myself.

I assume by "insert a SCSI card" they meant an SD card, it's an easy typo/mixup to make, done it often myself.

Third-party formatter: These are tools that run on the old Mac, and they're the same tools that you'd use to get an old-school spinning hard disc working.  Apple's own HD SC Setup tool only looks for Apple drives.  You can either use a patched version of HD SC Setup or a disk formatting tool like Lido or FWB Hard Disk Toolkit (I think it's called) to set up non-Apple-manufactured drives.  Those tools all do the same job of getting the disc ready for use, with minor differences between them.  Which one people like usually boils down to personal taste.  I use the patched HD SC Setup, personally.

System version - I think you can do 6.0.8–7.5.5 on an SE/30.  Pick whichever you want :-).  I tend to go with 7.1, but it's entirely and totally subjective.  I've never had to do very much to the SCSI2SD to get it working, so I'd just try with defaults first, if all you want is for it to work. 

There's a lot of features and settings on the scsi2sds and a lot of talking about them, but don't let that get to you: try the simple setup first, and see what happens.  If it doesn't work, then tweak.  But out of the box it should be set up to act like a 2G hard drive, which is probably exactly what you want.

Edited by cheesestraws
  • 68kMLA Supporter

As cheesestraws said above. I also find there is a lot of "voodoo" with these things, I have had to fool around with the settings of every single one that I install in my old Macs, but I eventually get them to work. The other questions I would have is do you have other old Macs and/or old System floppies for the SE/30 or other machine? That would make this a lot easier. I'll admit I have never had the "start from scratch" issue, as I have had a pile of old Macs and software my whole life, so I simply copy from one to another. That is the easiest method, but I don't know if you have that capability. I have also formatted the SD card on the SCSI2SD in the machine that it will run in, then remove the SD card and pop it into a modern-ish Mac (that can still write to HFS partitions), and just copy everything I want on there, skipping the slow installation process on the SE/30.

Does this make sense?

• 68kMLA Supporter
Posted (edited)
On 3/4/2021 at 11:01 AM, superjer2000 said:

What other “tools” do you have?  I’ve never used an image when setting up a SCSI2SD.  Generally it’s insert a SCSI card, set up with a third party formatter and then install a new system. Do you have a FloppyEmu?

Yes "SCSI card" was a typo - that's what I get for trying to reply on an iPad...  I meant insert an SD Card into the SCSI2SD (i.e. a new SD card that will be formatted for full time use on the SCSI2SD).

If you have a Floppy Emu then you might have everything you need if you got the BMOW SD Card-  It also depends on whether you have an internal hard disk or not.

I generally have used Lido as my partitioner/formatter which is on the BMOW card to format new SCSI2SD installations. 

I can't recall if there is a bootable disk with Lido on it or if Lido just comes on a disk image on its own.  If you already have an internal hard disk, you could copy Lido to that from your floppy emu.  If you don't have an internal hard disk, try to boot from the Lido disk image.  If that doesn't work, find a suitable Disk Tools disk amongst the various disk images on the Floppy Emu i.e. like System 6.0x or System 7.0x), eject it after booting, and "insert" the Lido disk with the floppy emu and copy it to the disk tools disk (hopefully there is enough space).  Be prepared to "swap" disks lots of times and then run Lido and format your SCSI2SD drive.  I did this exact process once to set up a SCSI2SD.

Note that if you DO have an internal hard disk, I can't recall for sure what SCSI ID the SCSI2SDs ship with.  If it's 0 you would need to change it using the relevant utility if you are going to have both your current hard disk and your SCSI2SD setup at the same time.

Similar to LaPorta, I have heard others indicate they had a hard time getting their SCSI2SDs working - For me it's always been flawless.

Edited by superjer2000
  • 68kMLA Supporter
19 hours ago, superjer2000 said:

Similar to LaPorta, I have heard others indicate they had a hard time getting their SCSI2SDs working - For me it's always been flawless.

It very possibly may just be me!

I installed the SCSI2SD card into SE/30 and connected the power harness and SCSI ribbon cable and powered up the SE/30. I have a Rominator II installed on the motherboard SIMM slot. I booted to the Rominator II ROM System 7.1 image launched the HD SC Setup 7.3.5 (patched) application. I was able to INIT the SCSI2HD card. When completed,  the new hard disk icon was desktop. I opened the new HD and the Finder showed that the size was 4,061.4 MB. I restarted the SE/30 and began to install System 7.1 from my floppy disks. I found some System 7.1 install instructions in Apple Service Source Clean Install for System 7.1, 7.5, 7.6 PDF document I found on the web. I started with the Install disk and selected to install system files on the SCSI2SD. After a few moments, I received the following warning message box

"There is not enough space on the disk "SCSI2SD 1" (the name I gave the new HD) to complete the installation (4863K needed, -35371K available). Quit the Installer, remove some items from the disk "SCSI2SD 1" and try again. Or try installing on another disk."

I figured that 4,061.4 MB HD size was too big. I went back to the Rominator II ROM System 7.1 image launched the HD SC Setup 7.3.5 (patched) application again. This time I selected the Partition button and was greeted with a list of possible partition schemes:

Maximum Macintosh,

Minimum Macintosh,

50% Macintosh,

Standard A/UX System,

A/UX Sys, 40 MB Macintosh, Free A/UX,

A/UX System, Maximum Macintosh,

Maximum Free A/UX,

50% Macintosh 50% A/UX

10MB Prodos, Maximum Macintosh

I tried Maximum Macintosh and that resulted in  the same 4,061.4 MB size. I tried Minimum Macintosh and that resulted in a 2MB size which is too small. I tried 50% Macintosh and I got a error message that stated that the partition failed. There is a Custom button to right of the menu and I tried that. It provides a bar-type figure that allows you to create a new partition in the grey area that is space available on the HD. I could not quickly figure out how to make this work so I move back to list of options.  I tried the A/UX Sys, 40 MB Macintosh, Free A/UX and it was able to create the partition with no errors. I thought 40MB is not bad. I really would like to have a 80 MB or 160 MB partition. 

I then continued wit the System 7.1 installation from my set of floppys and was able to successfully install system 7.1 on the new 40 MB HD partition. I restarted the SE/30 and it booted from the SCSI2SD 40MB image with no errors. 

This is pretty much as described by superjer2000. Thanks for the help. As I mentioned earlier, I would like to have a 80 MB or 160 MB partition. Is there a way to do this via a Custom partition in the HD SC Setup 7.3.5 (patched) application?

• 68kMLA Supporter

THe way to get around this is to program the SCSI2SD to have a partition no larger than 2 GB. That is the largest 7.1 can deal with. YOu are likely getting these errors because of this. If you set SCSI2SD to make a 2 GB or less disk, this should work fine. Then reformat and repartition under 7.1.

• 68kMLA Supporter

I’m assuming you set up the SCSI2SD with the utility over USB on a modern machine? You use that to set the readable partition size (the size of the drive that the SCSI2SD lets the host machine see). Instructions are here:

http://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/index.php/SCSI2SD_UserManual

The “Device Size” setting is what you are looking to change to 2 GB. You will have to format the drive again on the SE/30 afterwards.

• 68kMLA Supporter
22 hours ago, old_hitech said:

Ok. How do I go about programming the SCSI2SD to have a partition no larger than 2GB? Do I do this via Apple HD SC Setup 7.3.5 (patched ) application?

Nope, you do it from scsi2sd-util, with your SCSI2SD connected to a modern PC, via USB. You can download the latest version of SCSI2SD-util here http://scsi2sd.com/v5/files/v4.8.4/

I read some things about Lido 7 and decided to give it a try. I booted the SE/30 to the Rominator II System 7 image in ROM. I had connected my FloppyEMU to the external drive port. I selected the Lido 7.3.5 disk image. I launched the application and it found the SCSI2SD card and I tried to re-partition to yield a 2GB partition. Lido stated that it needed to initialize the drive and asked for name for the hard drive. A few moments later it said that was an error and needed to initialize the drive again. It did the same thing a couple of times. I decided to stop that partition process. Next, I selected Easy Setup and after asking for another HD name it completed without error and a new HD image appeared on the desktop. I double-clicked the HD image and it showed a 2GB size. I Shutdown, disconnected the FloppyEMU and restarted the SE/30 and waited to see the floppy icon and inserted my System 7.1 Install disk into the internal drive. I selected the SCSI2HD drive and was able go through the process of the System 7.1 install and required disk swapping. It completed without error. I restarted the SE/30 and successfully booted System 7.1 on the SCSI2SD. Finally!! I'm very happy that my SE/30 is back (and more reliable).  I've already loaded a few applications. Thanks to everyone for the help.