IIfx PDS 68040 accelerator

PM @Bolle.  I was literally just talking to him about it. :)

It will likely require someone lending an actual TokaMac so it can be reverse engineered.  The problem is that they're really, really rare.

I know that former engineer and co-founder of Fusion Data Systems used to run a mailing list for TokaMac owners.  The website has since gone down, but there's still an email on Archive.org.  I don't know if he owns or works at the company that hosted the page.  It'd be worth contacting him.  Maybe he still has the original schematics and/or code for the GAL that needs replacing.

https://web.archive.org/web/20100102195041/http://www.ddg.com/TokaMac/index.html

Edited by olePigeon
  • 68kMLA Supporter
19 hours ago, olePigeon said:

Maybe he still has the original schematics and/or code for the GAL that needs replacing.

I seem to remember I read somewhere that he doesn't has any of that kind of information anymore.

Also as @olePigeon already said... Send me a Tokamak and the GAL they put on the logicboard and I'll make schematics and GAL/ROM/FPGA dumps available (and build a few reproductions)

Edited by Bolle

@ArmorAlley Dunno, but Bolle's current clones just have sockets.  The card is the important part.  68040s can be sourced in a number of different ways (or just borrowed from another computer you own.)

You can also play the AliBaba lottery and hope to get a full 040.

Edited by olePigeon
  • 1 month later...
  • 68kMLA Supporter

FYI @cofford @Bolle this 68040/33 accelerator is from Donoho Design Group, which would suggest it is related to / is part of the Tokamak II FX (according to DDG's website). 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-CARD-by-Donoho-Design-FOR-APPLE-MAC-COMPUTER/274740925739?hash=item3ff7d5d52b:g:z-sAAOSwLOpgZMO5

• 68kMLA Supporter

Well looks like I'm wrong, that card is the same as the Presto 040 by Sonnet according to this thread where a Tokamak is mentioned which shows the board using the IIfx special extended slot (attached images, since who knows when Google Photos will be discontinued).

IMG_0053.JPG

IMG_0054B.JPG

1.jpeg

3.jpeg

2.jpeg

• 68kMLA Supporter
23 hours ago, nickpunt said:

FYI @cofford @Bolle this 68040/33 accelerator is from Donoho Design Group, which would suggest it is related to / is part of the Tokamak II FX (according to DDG's website). 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-CARD-by-Donoho-Design-FOR-APPLE-MAC-COMPUTER/274740925739?hash=item3ff7d5d52b:g:z-sAAOSwLOpgZMO5

This is indeed the same as the Sonnet Presto 040. Not sure what the story is, I'm guessing DDG designed it and Sonnet licensed/bought the design from them. For what it's worth, mine's currently at @Bolle in the hopes of getting it to work in an SE/30, but I'm more than fine if it's used for IIfx accelerator research, if it's non-destructive.

• 68kMLA Supporter

I suspect the Presto040 (or whatever it was called under the Donoho brand) is the successor to the Tokamac SX made for the IIci.

IMG_6393.thumb.jpeg.520a2f10f2cbf65062bb108391d996ab.jpeg IMG_6394.thumb.jpeg.d2452f0d707c3bb883347182c3c61a6e.jpeg

Btw: I contacted the person with the IIfx card from the thread linked above asking if they would send me the GAL from their logicboard and the accelerator to recreate everything.

Didn't hear back from them though. Won't blame them though, having one of the few working Tokamac IIfx setups.

23 hours ago, olePigeon said:

I also tried emailing the Tokamac engineer, but he didn't respond. :(

I had contact with Andrew W. Donoho back in 2005 and he didn't have any files saved for the ROM back then (just the driver software).