Jump to content

Lisa, Vectrex, etc given to me free


Recommended Posts

So this weekend has been insane, on Friday I picked up this load of stuff from someone who had "a 128k macintosh and IBM PC". I got there and not only did they have that but a truckload of other stuff including a Lisa 2/10, pre-production demo unit Macintosh Portable, mint boxed Vectrex, and some presumably pretty rare Apple Laserdisks. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves cause I honestly don't know what some of this stuff is. I'm not really an Apple person, just started collecting Apple stuff last year so I don't know all the details yet. I think my favorite bit is an IBM 8513 PS/2 monitor with a "Property of Apple Computer" sticker! I'm still in shock over this whole haul, if anyone has any input on what this stuff actually is definitely let me know. I've got no idea what to think on the laserdisks, training manuals, etc. And before anyone asks, the Vectrex, Lisa, and Portable are staying lol

 

 

0219211538_HDR.jpg

0219211538.jpg

0219211538a_HDR.jpg

0219211538a.jpg

0219211658_HDR.jpg

0220211821_HDR.jpg

0220212032_HDR.jpg

0221211026.jpg

0221211026_HDR~2.jpg

0221211028.jpg

1613940544141239094612005709637.jpg

20210221_103752.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 68kMLA Supporter

Wow.  Um, wow?  Yes.

 

The Lisa is a fascinating machine and I congratulate you on getting one.  Very very different from the Mac in a lot of very interesting ways.

 

edit: I strongly recommend getting a solid state hard disc emulator for it if you can.  It's even more useful than a scsi2sd, because the real hard discs are rarer, and you have more choices of OS to boot on the Lisa :-).

Edited by cheesestraws
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, cheesestraws said:

Wow.  Um, wow?  Yes.

 

The Lisa is a fascinating machine and I congratulate you on getting one.  Very very different from the Mac in a lot of very interesting ways.

 

edit: I strongly recommend getting a solid state hard disc emulator for it if you can.  It's even more useful than a scsi2sd, because the real hard discs are rarer, and you have more choices of OS to boot on the Lisa :-).

Yeah, I want to try and find a modern hard drive solution and possibly floppy solution if I can't get the original floppy working. Also gonna order a Texelec foam and foil rebuild kit soon! First thing for the Lisa is to see if I can get someone to recap it, it really needs it. Until then it will.be an incredibly cool paperweight on my desk!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 68kMLA Supporter
19 hours ago, RadRacer203 said:

possibly floppy solution if I can't get the original floppy working

 

BMOW's Floppy Emu works for Lisæ as well as Macs, and it works well.  Use mine all the time.

 

19 hours ago, RadRacer203 said:

Also gonna order a Texelec foam and foil rebuild kit soon!

 

That's what I used to fix my keyboards.  Worked really well.  The process is tiresome but not particularly difficult.

 

Also, you should blatantly join all the cool kids in running GEM on your Lisa... ;-)

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, cheesestraws said:

 

BMOW's Floppy Emu works for Lisæ as well as Macs, and it works well.  Use mine all the time.

 

 

That's what I used to fix my keyboards.  Worked really well.  The process is tiresome but not particularly difficult.

 

Also, you should blatantly join all the cool kids in running GEM on your Lisa... ;-)

I've done 3 foam and foil keyboards before and swore I would never do another unless I got a Lisa, so I guess I'm doing 1 last one lol. I'll definitely look into the floppyemu, is there an off the shelf hard drive solution for these? 

 

Also, the Macintosh Portable needs a hard drive too, I know it's standard scsi but with a different connector, is there a cable I can use to hook up a scsi2sd or something after I get it recapped?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 68kMLA Supporter
19 hours ago, RadRacer203 said:

is there an off the shelf hard drive solution for these? 

 

Yes; the X/ProFile from Vintage Micros.  It is expensive, but very good.  There are a couple of other more DIY options, which I haven't really played with or explored.  Yet.

 

With regards the portable, you are out of my area of knowledge there.  I've not got one of those, and given other people's maintenance stories, I doubt I shall be getting one...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 68kMLA Supporter

Fantastic haul. So much good stuff in there.

 

First and foremost, the pram batteries need to be removed from that Mac tower, the mac II stack, and the portable should have the 9v battery removed.  Those are most prone to leaking and causing serious damage.

 

If you want to preserve the Macs, they will need work to replace capacitors.  If you have questions about capacitor replacement or whatever, feel free to direct message me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, cheesestraws said:

 

Yes; the X/ProFile from Vintage Micros.  It is expensive, but very good.  There are a couple of other more DIY options, which I haven't really played with or explored.  Yet.

 

With regards the portable, you are out of my area of knowledge there.  I've not got one of those, and given other people's maintenance stories, I doubt I shall be getting one...

Ok, I'll check it out, thanks!

And yeah this Portable looks pretty miserable to work on... Such a good looking machine though

 

20 hours ago, androda said:

Fantastic haul. So much good stuff in there.

 

First and foremost, the pram batteries need to be removed from that Mac tower, the mac II stack, and the portable should have the 9v battery removed.  Those are most prone to leaking and causing serious damage.

 

If you want to preserve the Macs, they will need work to replace capacitors.  If you have questions about capacitor replacement or whatever, feel free to direct message me.

Unfortunately the Mac II's are pretty much just parts. 3 have some amount of leakage and I'm giving them away to a friend who can hopefully make 1 or 2 nice ones. The Portable is in great shape, no leakage there, just all the capacitors that are shot

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 68kMLA Supporter
20 hours ago, RadRacer203 said:

Also, the Macintosh Portable needs a hard drive too, I know it's standard scsi but with a different connector, is there a cable I can use to hook up a scsi2sd or something after I get it recapped?

There's someone selling an adapter on eBay which converts portable scsi connector to standard 50 pin. But it's kind of expensive just for a pin adapter, about $50.

 

The pin out to convert to standard scsi is available on the forum here. Can make your own cable. Maybe I should make a custom ardscsino/bluescsi pcb just for the mac portable's funny internal bus connector. Not a huge market, but better than using adapters.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 68kMLA Supporter

Great haul. I haven't seen imaged disks or PDFs of some of the stuff you've shown here, would you mind spending the time to upload them to archive.org? I am referring to the "Apple by Apple" and various training manuals/disks. These were created for Apple staff/Apple dealers, so not the sort of thing you come across every day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2021 at 2:09 AM, joshc said:

Great haul. I haven't seen imaged disks or PDFs of some of the stuff you've shown here, would you mind spending the time to upload them to archive.org? I am referring to the "Apple by Apple" and various training manuals/disks. These were created for Apple staff/Apple dealers, so not the sort of thing you come across every day.

Yeah, those Laserdisks are going to my friend who has an archiving setup and I can image the training disks too

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Rick Dangerous said:

You hit the mother-load.....very nice find all around.  Enough to keep you busy for years right there. 

 

Side note---there is a multi-cart for the Vectrex, so you don't have to buy all the pricey games individually.  Just ask around on Atariage.com

Will do, I was planning on getting one although I do have 10 or 11 games with manuals and overlays for it already

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2021 at 3:11 AM, RadRacer203 said:

 

Also, the Macintosh Portable needs a hard drive too, I know it's standard scsi but with a different connector, is there a cable I can use to hook up a scsi2sd or something after I get it recapped?


Nice stuff!


I bought an adapter to go with a SCSI2SD 5.1 (works better than 5.0 since it supports software termination). I also design this mount:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1) Incredible haul!  I am so impressed that you got this and I'm glad that it landed with someone that is clearly going to care for the machines.

2)Just a few quick warnings that I haven't seen offered above: 

 - check to be sure that the battery on the Lisa motherboard has been removed, or that there isn't one

 - only use a working Macintosh Portable AC adapter and newish battery when starting the portable.  Other methods will damage the MB (possibly) beyond repair.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 68kMLA Supporter

What a haul! Congratulations!

 

About the Lisa. Don’t give up on the hard disk yet! These widget drives are very rare if they work at all. So the fact that it booted ones could be a good sign that it is still working. 
Maybe it needs some help spinning up. If you have had a crash also disk error can be given, but it is still working. 
Have a look at the Lisa part of this forum or at lisalist2.com for more information about widget drives. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, mactjaap said:

What a haul! Congratulations!

 

About the Lisa. Don’t give up on the hard disk yet! These widget drives are very rare if they work at all. So the fact that it booted ones could be a good sign that it is still working. 
Maybe it needs some help spinning up. If you have had a crash also disk error can be given, but it is still working. 
Have a look at the Lisa part of this forum or at lisalist2.com for more information about widget drives. 

No, this hard drive is just toast. Has to be the worst sounding drive I've ever heard. Incredibly loud and kinda sounds like stuff is bouncing around inside and makes some very concerning loud clicking noises. It did boot once but I think a head crashed or something

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2021 at 5:27 PM, Juror22 said:

1) Incredible haul!  I am so impressed that you got this and I'm glad that it landed with someone that is clearly going to care for the machines.

2)Just a few quick warnings that I haven't seen offered above: 

 - check to be sure that the battery on the Lisa motherboard has been removed, or that there isn't one

 - only use a working Macintosh Portable AC adapter and newish battery when starting the portable.  Other methods will damage the MB (possibly) beyond repair.

 

 

Thanks for the advice! I definitely need to get the caps replaced in the Portable but I think it'll work after that.

 

I can't keep everything I got but the Lisa amd Portable are gonna get fixed and stay a while, and the Vectrex I'm absolutely keeping! That thing is so much fun

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2021 at 4:40 PM, RadRacer203 said:

Yeah, those Laserdisks are going to my friend who has an archiving setup and I can image the training disks too

Out of curiosity, what archiving setup does your friend have? I'm wondering because there's a group of people who have specialist hardware setups that can make >100GB "raw" images that are then decoded in software, resulting in a higher-quality capture with any "extra" data not normally accessible to regular laserdisc players.

 

If your friend doesn't have such a setup, it might be worth contacting someone in that group to get them to make a "complete" archive of those discs. I can help put you in touch, if needed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...