Looking for : HiRes 840av motherboard photos

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if someone has high resolution pictures of the 840av motherboard, where individual traces can be distinguished. I bought a broken 840av with acid damage and would like to attempt to fix it.

Thank you

You may also want to look at schematics: look for "Macintosh Quadra 840av Schematic (bomarc).pdf" on Google.

Those motherboards are worth saving ! Also don't loose 2 month of debugging like be because you plugged your ADB keyboard on the S-Video port.

Good luck !

Thanks for the replies everyone.

@demik Thanks for the tip :) I fear I may have bitten off more than I can chew with this one, I bought the machine feeling nostalgic.. oh well.. oh well, I'll take it as a learning journey. Those schematics in the pdf are detailed, thanks! They will come in handy, but as I'm a noob it may take a while to navigate them.

I noticed C385 has been ripped right off the motherboard, so I'll need to replace it as a start.

The case came in rightful crap state.. I'm not daring enough to use the power supply that came with it. Time to find a way to test the thing first.

On 2/23/2021 at 3:20 AM, Kai Robinson said:

*pokes head in*

Did someone say reproduction board? :D

Haha :D This one will be one hell of a challenge…

@casper I will be working on my 840av board next week. If you need some pictures, please post what you need here

Edited by demik
On 2/17/2021 at 1:54 AM, casper said:

The case came in rightful crap state.. I'm not daring enough to use the power supply that came with it. Time to find a way to test the thing first.

I worked through this with my Quadra 840av last fall. I evenually got it working with more bodge wires than I care to admit!

I did create an adapter board to use a standard ATX power supply, if you're concerned about it. I think I still have a couple left hanging around somewhere.

https://github.com/akuker/mAcTX_Quadra_840av

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/24/2021 at 12:08 AM, landoGriffin said:

I worked through this with my Quadra 840av last fall. I evenually got it working with more bodge wires than I care to admit!

What were the problems you ran into with the atx power supply?

I had trouble with my 840av just shutting itself off after a few seconds with the atx power supply i tried to adapt, but it runs fine now on a stock supply scavenged from another mac. I would love to modernize it so it doesn't suddenly blow up further down the road though, and I have another 840av that might still be recoverable but didn't show much sign of life on a bench supply...

On 3/12/2021 at 12:28 PM, error1 said:

What were the problems you ran into with the atx power supply?

I had trouble with my 840av just shutting itself off after a few seconds with the atx power supply i tried to adapt, but it runs fine now on a stock supply scavenged from another mac. I would love to modernize it so it doesn't suddenly blow up further down the road though, and I have another 840av that might still be recoverable but didn't show much sign of life on a bench supply...

I think in the end, the original power supply was fine. I have an issue where it will take a LOOOONG time to power up if it hasnt been running for a while. I generally have to power it on (it doesn't post - no 'bong'), wait a few minutes, then reset it. I initially assumed it was the power supply. But, even after replacing the power supply with a new ATX one, it still exhibits the same behavior.

When I originally fixed it, I didn't have a microscope, so one of these days I'm going to tear it open again and double check my re-cap job and that all of the bodge wires are making good connection.

• 3 weeks later...

@landoGriffin if you still have an adapter board to convert a standard ATX power supply to 840av I'd be happy to purchase. Cheers.

Sorry for the slow reply.. I wanted to see if the 840av motherboard actually worked (it does), tested it with a 7200 ... although the powersupply out of the 7200 is totally different shape to the one in the 840av powersupply.. sigh.. otherwise I'd probably just use that one.