Guidance on a 1400 recap

Hi everyone,

If anyone has been following my threads, I've been having a beast of a time with my 8100, and also 6100 (though that is now good to go). Soon, the time will come for me to recap my PB 1400 and replace its PRAM battery. I know people are wary of the PRAM battery, but I really do want to figure out how to replace it. I like having my machines 100% functional. As for the rest of the capacitors, I took a look at the take-apart manual, and it looks plain daunting. This is one reason I don't like working on PowerBooks! Mine is a 1400c/133 model, with 1.3 GB HD and also 8x CD drive. It really is a nice machine, and I have had it since about 2001 or so. I want to get this recap right the first time, so I am looking to make sure that I don't fall into some sort of common pitfalls. Who has undertaken this project before? Did you save a list of what capacitors you used? Are there any common areas I should look at while I am inside?

As always, all suggestions are appreciated.

No, I haven't undertaken any disassemble simply because, instructions nonwithstanding, it is easier for me to disassemble something this complex, change the caps, the put it back together...rather than have it sit there for a week plus waiting for the caps and then forget what I did, have my kids touch the screws, etc. I was just hoping someone had done it, but I can't even find information via Google.

The machine works perfectly except for the contrast rocker switch. Funny contrast levels of all kinds happen when you press it; I was assuming something circuit-related.

I simply wanted to get all the electrolytics swapped out before they leak.

Edited by LaPorta

So, I am in the process of making this guide myself. I have torn this thing down to almost the bare bolts, and have found all the electrolytics. Many are hiding in and behind the screen as well. I will list them once ordered.

Well, heck, after thinking I must have killed the thing...it works! I can't tell you the ordeal I went through to recap the screen. I will post the whole guide when I have time. Also, I have a pertinent question: the recap did not fix the issue I have with my contrast switch not working properly. Does anyone have an issue with the contrast control under System 8.1?