More info on Radius Videovision

Hi! I have this card (nubus) with memory expansion and studio board. I searched on web but i not able to find some spec... how many vram have the board? If I watch the chips on board is 4mb! But macbench show me only 512kb... :-(

I use the board with fixed frequency monitor apple 16. At 832x624 I can select only 256 colors... is normal?

What is needed the studio upgrade board?

Hi marmotta,

I'd look at the card as an unaccelerated Nubus capture card, not as a video card which as you've discovered has limitations with resolution and colour depth (although I do recall the one I had had some sort of expansion card and did display millions of colours).  As I didn't have the breakout box on mine I sold it.

4 hours ago, Byrd said:

Hi marmotta,

I'd look at the card as an unaccelerated Nubus capture card, not as a video card which as you've discovered has limitations with resolution and colour depth (although I do recall the one I had had some sort of expansion card and did display millions of colours).  As I didn't have the breakout box on mine I sold it.

But the card only work if you use your video board, with onboard or another nubus card the video capture not work. I think is needed two monitors for best use...

That's the case, the VidCap output/stream goes on the card's display. You need a NuBus VidCard or built in video running a display for the Mac side of things. NuBus lacked the bandwidth to display Video from a capture card. PCI fixed that in later VidCap hardware generations.

http://radius.vintagebox.de/RadiusQA/VideoVision.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone have a standard breakout box for one of these boards handy? I'd be curious about trying to dissect one to reproduce them. The cards come up for sale fairly often, but they're almost all missing the breakout box. I can't imagine there's a tremendous amount of intelligence in the thing given the fairly limit number of pins and what the thing is ostensibly for.

• 68kMLA Supporter

I’ve got the Nubus Studio breakout. Next time I have it out I’ll trace the pins with a multimeter.

I believe the PCI and Nubus versions of the Studio breakout were slightly different, so mine won’t apply to PCI (unless I’m wrong.) I think both PCI and Nubus versions of the Telecast board operate the same Telecast box FWIW. 

On 3/24/2021 at 1:44 AM, jeremywork said:

I’ve got the Nubus Studio breakout. Next time I have it out I’ll trace the pins with a multimeter.

I believe the PCI and Nubus versions of the Studio breakout were slightly different, so mine won’t apply to PCI (unless I’m wrong.) I think both PCI and Nubus versions of the Telecast board operate the same Telecast box FWIW. 

That would be fantastic. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 68kMLA Supporter
Posted (edited)

Is this the break out box you are looking for images of, it was in another discussion.. (not this is the Nubus variant, which seems to differ possibly from a PCI version). There’s an image in the link, adde  below too

C860BFE3-766C-4A19-82F9-904552C8A19C.jpeg

Edited by TimHD
  • 68kMLA Supporter
On 4/8/2021 at 5:03 AM, TimHD said:

Is this the break out box you are looking for images of, it was in another discussion.. (not this is the Nubus variant, which seems to differ possibly from a PCI version). There’s an image in the link, adde  below too

C860BFE3-766C-4A19-82F9-904552C8A19C.jpeg

That’s the one, but the resolution isn’t great.