PowerBook 1400c CL Find

• 68kMLA Supporter
4 hours ago, Cory5412 said:

Can a 1400 boot from its PCMCIA slot? I don't remember if I've done that on mine. I believe the 2400/3400 can, but, different architecture.

Can confirm! My PB1400 (CS model, upgraded with 40MB RAM and G3 CPU) has a 2x-height PCMCIA Hard Drive Card (a literal spinning-disk drive in the form of a double-height PCMCIA card) with a backup copy of MacOS 8.1 and it happily boots from it :) 

Congrats @travistouchdown - the PB1400 is a really special machine, and you've got a great example of it here. Treat it well and it'll last forever :) 

Huxley

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will report back when i get the SD to PCMCIA if it works!

How would you boot from that card?  I wonder if it's a selectable startup disk or if there's a magical key sequence. 

There's no "Imagewriter II" printer to choose; i've given up on that for now.  Think it just needs a fresh OS install to set things right again. 

The "Impossible to get to" PRAM battery is my main concern with this machine right now....taking it apart completely just seems like a real pain to pull this thing?  How bad would it be to leave it in there? 

I tried zapping it the other day when starting up and it killed the machine immediately, had to restart by holding the PMU in for 20 seconds, then there were was a vertical red area on the left side of the screen on the boot screen (great--thankfully looks normal once started) so i don't want to do any further harm to the machine or the LCD with attempts to zap the PRAM or adjusting the clock, should i leave it or spend hours tearing this thing down to pull it and risk breaking delicate plastics? 

• 68kMLA Supporter
4 hours ago, travistouchdown said:

How would you boot from that card?  I wonder if it's a selectable startup disk or if there's a magical key sequence. 

In my case, it's just another disk in the Startup Disk control panel - no startup-key-combo magic required, thankfully 

H.

• 68kMLA Supporter

As far as ImageWriter: the driver for any revision regardless of System is called “ImageWriter” - there is no “ImageWriter II” extension. The regular one will drive either printer.

15 hours ago, Cory5412 said:

Can a 1400 boot from its PCMCIA slot? I don't remember if I've done that on mine. I believe the 2400/3400 can, but, different architecture.

From what I recall it can. I've had a Type II (?) IBM HDD that I've used from way back when to boot all kinds of PCMCIA PowerBooks from for troubleshooting. I think maybe even the 190?

@Huxley glad to see you've confirmed. I replied without having refreshed this window since this morning, hence the edit. Gotta love those tiny little spinning disks! :approve:

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini
  • 68kMLA Supporter
18 hours ago, travistouchdown said:

FWIW, I had a 1400 booting from a CF card in an adapter for a while, and it just appeared as another disc in the startup control panel.

I love those MicroDrives. I've got a 520 meg Type II one labeled as CallunaCard, an IBM one at ~100-300 meg and a Maxtor one at also around 100-300 megs. The latter two came out of a ThinkPad 730T.

Back in my Pismo days, I had a CF card I ran a minimal install of 9.2.2 and AppleWorks 5 on, for hypermiling with the dual batteries and often with the display backlight turned off, because writing for 17 hours at a time is something normal humans definitely need. ( /s )

I won another Powerbook 1400c on ebay for my $100 offered.

This one comes with

-24MB Ram Expansion

-CD-Rom and Floppy Drive

-Video Card and Cable

-Batteries, Power Cable,  OS9 Discs, Various Flotsam and Jetsam

Between these two machines i should have a pretty sweet 1400c in the making! 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-APPLE-MACINTOSH-POWERBOOK-1400CS-133-M3571-LAPTOP-COMPUTER-C2/233877609123?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

• 68kMLA Supporter
16 hours ago, travistouchdown said:

I won another Powerbook 1400c on ebay for my $100 offered.

This one comes with

-24MB Ram Expansion

-CD-Rom and Floppy Drive

-Video Card and Cable

-Batteries, Power Cable,  OS9 Discs, Various Flotsam and Jetsam

Between these two machines i should have a pretty sweet 1400c in the making! 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-APPLE-MACINTOSH-POWERBOOK-1400CS-133-M3571-LAPTOP-COMPUTER-C2/233877609123?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Oh man, that's a great haul for the price! Just note that it's the "cs" edition (not the plain "c" model), so it will have the less-enjoyable passive-matrix display. My PB1400 is also a "cs" and I'm actively searching for a body-less "c" display I can do a monitor-swap with :-)

Anyway, congrats again!

H.

I was going to mention the video connector under the assflap of your 'Book.  Deeper into the pics of that listing you'll see something more rare than a even a G3 Accelerator, the VIEWpowr 16-bit video card!

image.png.47c071f1de0258ad76342dbb6f023270.png

A full loadout of RAM to nestle up to that oversize card is a bit more difficult to source, but worth the wait. Nice snag, even if not a c model, the VIEWpowr alone is worth that price.

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini
On 1/31/2021 at 3:35 PM, Huxley said:

Oh man, that's a great haul for the price! Just note that it's the "cs" edition (not the plain "c" model), so it will have the less-enjoyable passive-matrix display. My PB1400 is also a "cs" and I'm actively searching for a body-less "c" display I can do a monitor-swap with

If you ever find one, let me know, as I have a 1400c...(something?) with the typical shot plastics down by the right hinge, and I'd be interested in possibly acquiring your "old" cs display, if you'd be willing [:)]

c

14 hours ago, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

I was going to mention the video connector under the assflap of your 'Book.  Deeper into the pics of that listing you'll see something more rare than a even a G3 Accelerator, the VIEWpowr 16-bit video card!

image.png.47c071f1de0258ad76342dbb6f023270.png

A full loadout of RAM to nestle up to that oversize card is a bit more difficult to source, but worth the wait. Nice snag, even if not a c model, the VIEWpowr alone is worth that price.

Cool and very good to know; thank you!  What capabilities does this card add over the stock port?  Better resolution on a bigger monitor? 

My initial find on CL is a "C" model; i got this "CS" on ebay for the CD-Rom Drive, RAM card, Video Card, and accessories/parts. 

14 hours ago, CC_333 said:

If you ever find one, let me know, as I have a 1400c...(something?) with the typical shot plastics down by the right hinge, and I'd be interested in possibly acquiring your "old" cs display, if you'd be willing [:)]

c

Okay i will absolutely keep that in mind as i acquire 1-2 more spares in search of RAM.  

Edited by travistouchdown
On 2/2/2021 at 5:43 AM, Rick Dangerous said:

Cool and very good to know; thank you!  What capabilities does this card add over the stock port?  Better resolution on a bigger monitor? 

Both I think. There is no stock port for external video. Apple's card is 8-bit at I'm not sure what maximum resolution? VIEWpowr does 16-bit up to 16" res. 832x624 and 8-bit up to TPD res. at 1152x870.

So i got my other 1400 in today and it does have the ViewPower card and extra ram; which is nice.

Unfortunately; it boots to "At Ease" some kid friendly OS mac used to offer.   I used this guide to try to get rid of it:

https://lowendmac.com/macdan/010319mm.html

Unfortunately it's password protected; so i couldn't just disable extensions and delete it.  I did reach out to the ebay seller to ask for the password.   

I tried holding "Control+Option+Shift+Delete" when booting but it just turned extensions off; didn't boot from CD (bringing me back to the password prompt screen.  

If anyone has any tips let me know! :) 

Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 3.48.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 4.12.54 PM.png

Have a copy of disk tools for my 3400 on floppy; going to give that a whirl and see what happens.  Nope "This startup disk will not work on this Macinthos model.  Use the latest Installer to update this disk for this model." 

I have another copy of Disk Tools for 7.6 on floppy going to try that too.  Nope same message...

How is it possible these things won't boot from CD?  What is the point of having the command if it doesn't work whatsoever.  lol

Edited by Rick Dangerous
  • 68kMLA Supporter

I know I owe you photos of the stuff; I'm shooting for tonight. I have probably 5-6 unopened 1400 Disk Tools, so I can send you one for the future as well. If the 3400 one doesn't work, I have an image of the 1400 one that I can get you today via email.

• 68kMLA Supporter
5 hours ago, Rick Dangerous said:

Previous owner claims the card is installed. Second opinion anyone based on the above picture? That PCB doesn't look like the same footprint as the ViewPower card to me...

That's the optional Apple 8-bit video out card, which has the same external connector as the ViewPowr card. Could be the seller assumed from the exterior.

The PowerBook 1400 for some reason does not start from CDs using 'C', instead use 'Cmd+Opt+Shift+Del' on this model. Note LEM has this incorrectly as 'Ctrl' instead of 'Cmd.'

Hope that helps!

Edited by jeremywork