Jump to content

540MB MO in Fujitsu 640MB DynaMO?


Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, trag said:

Anyone know if the 540MB 3.5" MO disks work in the Fujitsu 640MB MO drive?


Having just done a bunch of research on this topic (because I just purchased my first MO drive) I have found that (at least with Fujitsu) they seem to be fully backwards compatible all the way down to 128mb disks. Now I could be wrong but that’s what I found. 
 

I do hope this is right, because I just purchased a bunch of varying sizes of media for three different drives I just acquired (230mb, 1300mb, 2300mb). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 68kMLA Supporter

Thank you, MrFahrenheit.  For some reason your post prompted me to do a little searching, I should have done at the beginning.  I don't know why I didn't think of it before.  I guess it never occurred to me that Fujitsu might still have the manual on line.

 

Anyway, the Fujitsu Dynamo MO manual is still on their site, and specifically lists 540MB disks as supported.

 

https://www.fujitsu.com/downloads/COMP/fcpa/mo/discontinued/dynamo-640se_user-guide.pdf

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, trag said:

Thank you, MrFahrenheit.  For some reason your post prompted me to do a little searching, I should have done at the beginning.  I don't know why I didn't think of it before.  I guess it never occurred to me that Fujitsu might still have the manual on line.

 

Anyway, the Fujitsu Dynamo MO manual is still on their site, and specifically lists 540MB disks as supported.

 

https://www.fujitsu.com/downloads/COMP/fcpa/mo/discontinued/dynamo-640se_user-guide.pdf


You’re welcome. It’s unbelievable that they would keep their support documents up for devices as old as these. I wish they had their Mac driver up there as well but I haven’t been able to find it. Hoping one of the drives I bought has a Fujitsu Mac driver. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, trag said:

I think I've got a copy of the DynaMO 640 disk.   I'm guessing you need the software for the 2.3GB drive? 


I have a 2300SF coming. Not sure if it’s got a driver disc or not. The pictures weren’t clear. 
 

I have a 1300SF coming that has no driver. I would expect the 2300 and 1300 should share the same driver. Also a MCM3130AP (IDE version of the Fujitsu 1.3GB) is on its way. I want to put this internal to my Dual G4 where the Zip goes. 
 

I managed to find a copy of Fujitsu 2.3.8 driver I believe. I’ll have to see if it works when I get the drives. OS X should work natively from what I’ve found. Fujitsu is awesome in that I’ve found the manual PDFs and specifications on their site and possibly the drivers too. 
 

I have an Olympus 230 brand new sealed so I should be fine with that one. 
 

Can you confirm what driver you use on your 640mb ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MrFahrenheit said:


I have a 2300SF coming. Not sure if it’s got a driver disc or not. The pictures weren’t clear. 
 

I have a 1300SF coming that has no driver. I would expect the 2300 and 1300 should share the same driver. Also a MCM3130AP (IDE version of the Fujitsu 1.3GB) is on its way. I want to put this internal to my Dual G4 where the Zip goes. 
 

I managed to find a copy of Fujitsu 2.3.8 driver I believe. I’ll have to see if it works when I get the drives. OS X should work natively from what I’ve found. Fujitsu is awesome in that I’ve found the manual PDFs and specifications on their site and possibly the drivers too. 
 

I have an Olympus 230 brand new sealed so I should be fine with that one. 
 

Can you confirm what driver you use on your 640mb ?

 

 I have a Fujitsu DynaMO 1300 FE (firewire edition) complete with box, manuals and floppy & CD. Let me know if you want images of them. I plugged it into my mac mini G4 and it was recognised automatically.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ArmorAlley said:

 

 I have a Fujitsu DynaMO 1300 FE (firewire edition) complete with box, manuals and floppy & CD. Let me know if you want images of them. I plugged it into my mac mini G4 and it was recognised automatically.


Thank you @ArmorAlley. I want to be able to use my drives with 68k and early PowerPC Macs and so I need the drivers for System 7+. I did find a driver on Fujitsu website but I’m not sure if it works. Would you be able to image the disks you have and upload them? The driver on Fujitsu is an extension (MDF 2.3.8 I think) and an app that erases the disks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 68kMLA Supporter

I'll need to remember to check when I'm at home.    I don't actively use my MO drives these days.  For me they're more in the nice-to-have category, but they're packed in the attic these days.  But the disks and probably a copy on my archive drive are in the study somewhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 68kMLA Supporter
On 1/21/2021 at 12:52 PM, MrFahrenheit said:


You’re welcome. It’s unbelievable that they would keep their support documents up for devices as old as these. I wish they had their Mac driver up there as well but I haven’t been able to find it. Hoping one of the drives I bought has a Fujitsu Mac driver. 

 

I posted an image of the CDROM that came with the external SCSI 640MB DynaMO drive here:   https://www.prismnet.com/~trag/Mac_Drivers/

 

The disk is imaged using Apple Disk Copy 6.3.3.   I think Anarchie must have added the .bin.   So it looks like you might need software to de-binhex it and then Disk Copy to mount the image.   When it's all uncompressed, it's only about 50MB.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, trag said:

 

I posted an image of the CDROM that came with the external SCSI 640MB DynaMO drive here:   https://www.prismnet.com/~trag/Mac_Drivers/

 

The disk is imaged using Apple Disk Copy 6.3.3.   I think Anarchie must have added the .bin.   So it looks like you might need software to de-binhex it and then Disk Copy to mount the image.   When it's all uncompressed, it's only about 50MB.


Awesome!!  
 

I’ll download on my G4, unstuff it, and copy over using my Zip drives. 
 

Thanks so much !

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2021 at 3:41 AM, MrFahrenheit said:


Awesome!!  
 

I’ll download on my G4, unstuff it, and copy over using my Zip drives. 
 

Thanks so much !


I bought a Fujitsu 2300 SCSI (2.3GB) and would you believe they use the exact same version on the cd accompanying that drive?  I don’t think I’ve ever seen a new version of a drive ship with a driver that hadn’t changed in years prior. I guess their hardware remained generally unchanged enough to be able to do that. Boggles my mind. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 68kMLA Supporter
On 1/31/2021 at 5:29 AM, MrFahrenheit said:


I bought a Fujitsu 2300 SCSI (2.3GB) and would you believe they use the exact same version on the cd accompanying that drive?  I don’t think I’ve ever seen a new version of a drive ship with a driver that hadn’t changed in years prior. I guess their hardware remained generally unchanged enough to be able to do that. Boggles my mind. 

 

That is surprising.   I think software didn't churn as much in the past as it does now.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Technically you could use it without the driver if you don't mind restarting the computer every time you want to change discs.

 

Something I found interesting is that the Fujitsu drive has a jumper setting to mimic a HDD.  It disables the eject button, and the drive reports as a HDD instead of a Removable Media drive.  I suspect a feature that was popular with multimedia kiosks when they moved away from Laserdiscs and CD-ROMs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Forgot to mention that I have a small collection of MO drives that I've been retrofitting in my other Macs. The following video is pretty old, but it's one of my favorites.  I installed a 230MB MO drive in my LC along with a 2.5" drive hidden in the middle.  That way my LC was utilizing both floppy drive locations, but still had a HDD.  It's a bit hard to push in because it's not auto-inject like a floppy, but it's still useable.

 

I suspect something similar could be done with a Macintosh SE.  Floppy on top or bottom, with the MO drive in the other slot.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CvgkJrH9Sc

 

Edited by olePigeon
YouTube link didn't parse.
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, olePigeon said:

Forgot to mention that I have a small collection of MO drives that I've been retrofitting in my other Macs. The following video is pretty old, but it's one of my favorites.  I installed a 230MB MO drive in my LC along with a 2.5" drive hidden in the middle.  That way my LC was utilizing both floppy drive locations, but still had a HDD.  It's a bit hard to push in because it's not auto-inject like a floppy, but it's still useable.

 

I suspect something similar could be done with a Macintosh SE.  Floppy on top or bottom, with the MO drive in the other slot.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CvgkJrH9Sc

 

 

That's so cool!  Thanks for the video!! ... and the ideas.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...