Found a 400K System Disk

I was going through a box of old floppies after getting a floppy drive for my Kanga and in it was this old 1984 copyright Macintosh System Disk which I believe was from a family member’s old 128 or 512K. I didn’t want to try to read it in the Kanga since I’ve heard of newer drives causing issues for 400K disks.  It’s a cool find, maybe I’ll give it to someone with a machine that can use it.

image.jpg

I haven't had any issues with 400k disks on newer drives.  The issue runs into using something newer than System 6 (which often have newer drives.)  In System 7 the disks behave funny.  The become a sort of "write once."   It can cause some weird things to happen.  Especially when you make disk images.  Disk Copy will complain that the disk image is corrupt on System 7 (but it's really just fine, and works fine under System 6.)

3 hours ago, olePigeon said:

I haven't had any issues with 400k disks on newer drives.  The issue runs into using something newer than System 6 (which often have newer drives.)  In System 7 the disks behave funny.  The become a sort of "write once."   It can cause some weird things to happen.  Especially when you make disk images.  Disk Copy will complain that the disk image is corrupt on System 7 (but it's really just fine, and works fine under System 6.)

The only machines I have right now are running 7.5.3 and 9.1, so I’ll probably hold off on trying to use the disk until I can go get my 512K.