PowerBook 520c will not power up

My power supply is on its way. From seeing the pictures and retesting my own, which gets no current on any hole, make me really hope and think it was that power supply. I wonder if there is a guide to make a modern replacement using the head for the plug, since its uncommon....

Guess I’ll continue looking :/

PowerBook power supplies are a pain. The 500 series is especially bad, both because it was a one-off power supply so it's difficult to get replacements, especially with the dual 16v power rails that it seems to supply, and also because the plastic is brittle and doesn't like to come apart without breaking. Inside it's packed tightly so it's not easy to replace the caps even if you do get it open. However ISTR something turned up on a Google search about someone splicing a generic 16v power supply into the 500's plug on VMAIN while ignoring the battery voltage supply. It worked but of course batteries no longer charged but that's not much of an issue if your batteries are dead or missing anyway.

If I could, I would just get blank plates and make that. I’m no master when it comes to building electronics from scratch so I’ll have to take real good care of that power supply until I can understand how the power supply works.

It’s ALIVE

Both the ram and cpu are working just great with the new brick. And I can now confirm it was the old one. Guess it’s time to make a new one with the cable. Since I now have some extra parts, along with an entire lower assembly, I’ll test the parts and sell them here someone else can use them. Thanks everyone! This PowerBook just needs a SCSI2SD and it will be finished. ;)

Emmy

image.jpg

Years ago, my 520 stopped working during the bootup... Really weird!! 

I ended up splicing the cable onto a IBM 16V 4.5A PSU, and everything worked fine. 

At a a later time, I cracked open the original PSU, and found a bunch of “magic smoke”..

I posted pictures on a different page somewhere here..

I’m continuing off of this one as it doesn’t seem to make sense creating another one on the same machine.

Ok! I just got the cable for my PowerBook 520c and after plugging in the cable and trying a disk, no spinning noises or it being ejected. It will only come out if force eject it out. I’ll attach a video but I am sure the cable is in securely and correctly. What should I do?

• 68kMLA Supporter

If you have a pc connected via ethernet, download macippi vm from macip.net and hookup your ethernet adapter into a switch/router with the computer running the vm. 

it should be pretty straight forward, enable apple share in chooser and connect to macip and thats it. 

Your floppy drive doesn't work? Maybe try repeatedly pressing the tiny switches at the front of the drive to see if it comes alive that way. Sometimes those switches become oxidized and they don't register that a disk is inserted, is writable or read-only, or whether it's DD/HD (depending on which switch isn't working). Otherwise you may want to try a different drive and/or a different logic board. You may just want to go on eBay and find a ruined PB complete for parts; it may be cheaper and easier than going piecemeal.

So I’ve made some progress.

The drive was not working due to the head being REAL stuck from the grease.  Moving it a little caused the head to seek and spin the drive. Now I’m at the next issue, it can read any drives. It detects a floppy is present but can’t read anything on it. I suspect the heads are dirty  but wanted to double check something: is 70% alcohol ok to clean with it? It’s all I have on hand. If not, then I’ll try to get 90%, but it’s quite tricky to find it in a decent quantity here.

:/