DIY Mac Plus ROM Chips (Giveaway)

I recently postedtutorial which covers how to make replacement ROMsI recently posted a tutorial which covers how to make replacement ROMs for the Mac Plus. It's directly applicable to earlier compacts, such as the 128k and 512k. The process is similar for the Macintosh Classic & Classic II (different chips).

If anyone missed it, I'm offering 3 free sets of ROMs for anyone interested with two still remaining — just pay shipping. One set has already been claimed by @Mighty Jabba so don't miss out!

Thanks again to Stephen for sending me a set of replacement ROMs (completely free!). I have 7 compact Macs of various types, but one of them has never worked since I received it -- a Mac Plus. I was able to confirm that the ROMs were the culprit a while back by swapping in some known good chips, so when Stephen's chips arrived all I had to do was pop them in and it booted right up! It's a super easy fix in that sense, but for a long time it wasn't obvious to me that the ROMs were at fault, and getting replacements is also generally not simple. But I'm hoping the guide Stephen posted will help others.

IMG_0387.thumb.jpeg.12708af9b47defcbf028ff18ce67f843.jpeg

IMG_0388.thumb.jpeg.4608feffbe2c3cc6be665f082ca30755.jpeg

2 hours ago, Mighty Jabba said:

Thanks again to Stephen for sending me a set of replacement ROMs (completely free!). I have 7 compact Macs of various types, but one of them has never worked since I received it -- a Mac Plus. I was able to confirm that the ROMs were the culprit a while back by swapping in some known good chips, so when Stephen's chips arrived all I had to do was pop them in and it booted right up! It's a super easy fix in that sense, but for a long time it wasn't obvious to me that the ROMs were at fault, and getting replacements is also generally not simple. But I'm hoping the guide Stephen posted will help others.

IMG_0387.thumb.jpeg.12708af9b47defcbf028ff18ce67f843.jpeg

IMG_0388.thumb.jpeg.4608feffbe2c3cc6be665f082ca30755.jpeg

Woohoo! Happy to hear your Mac Plus has a new lease on life :)

I'm considering extended the give away to an additional three sets of ROMs. If anyone would be interested let me know in this thread and I'll see if there's more demand.