Restoring a 6100/66 DOS Compatibility, need help with software

So  I am restoring a PowerMac 6100/66 DOS Compatibility computer and setting up new software on the SCSI2SD I installed on it (which by the way seems much, much slower than even the 500MB HDD that was original to it.)

I am still learning when it comes to classic MAC OS, I was wondering if someone could point me to a few applications on Macintosh Garden or another site. I am looking first for a program I have seen that came on my Macintosh LC and various SE's where in the upper left of desktop was a blinking icon to let you know the hard drive activity.

Secondly I was looking for a program that would display hardware specific information. On OSX you can list detailed hardware specifics but on older MAC OS's there is no way I know of. What program would you recommend to display cpu type/speed, cache, rom versions, etc for machine specific hardware info?

Thanks

edit: Also, how can I open DMG files on MAC OS 8?

I believe one of the better programs that will help list and also test your built-in hardware is a program called MacBench. It will test your hardware against a standardized list of other machines. It likely has the 6100 already in it. As for the HD activity. there are standalone programs, but there is one included with programs liek Norton Utilities 3.0, which should work on wahtever flavor of System software you are running on the 6100, and I would recommend running on it as is.

I also have disk images of all of the original 6100 DOS Compatibility floppies, if you need those as well.

Which version of SCSI2SD do you have installed? There should be no slowness; in fact, it should be slightly speedier depending on what version you have. That could possibly depend on there being incorrect software settings on the SCSI2SD, or possibly due to a slow SD card if not one of the newer, speedier ones.

Edited by LaPorta

I ghave scsi2sd ver 5.1 It could be the SD card but it is super slow. I went over the settings. They all appear correct.

Laporta I would love the disk images if you have them.

Im not a fan of norton utilities and the LED activity programs I have seen have not been norton.

Also, anyone know how to open a DMG file in mac os 8?

No, it certainly is not required by any means. It could make file transfers faster, but v5 is certainly plenty fast to start up the machine, get it to run, etc.

Opening a DMG in OS 8 may not be possible. If it is one created by OS X, it probably won't work. Some experimental versions of Disk Utility 6.5 did have some capability of that, but what you really need is to get images that were either made with Disk Copy 4.2 or 6, and you could open them on 8 with it's included Disk Copy 6.

As for Norton, it is just a control panel that came with Norton, not the entire suite itself. If that interests you, I can send it.

As for the other 6100 disk images, I can send them over if you PM me your email address.

Edited by LaPorta

Can you guys tell me what some high speed SD cards I should buy are? Mine are all pretty old, they suit my needs fine but I never needed to use them as hard disk storage I suppose. I dont need anything high capacity. The one in the 6100 is an 8GB. A 16GB or 32GB would be more than enough if that is the smallest I could purchase.

43 minutes ago, Verault said:

Can you guys tell me what some high speed SD cards I should buy are? Mine are all pretty old, they suit my needs fine but I never needed to use them as hard disk storage I suppose. I dont need anything high capacity. The one in the 6100 is an 8GB. A 16GB or 32GB would be more than enough if that is the smallest I could purchase.

When SD cards advertise transfer rates, I think typically that is maximum burst transfer not what the card is rated at for constant reads/writes which is far more important for using it as a hard drive. For a scsi2sd I don't expect you'd need anything higher than guaranteed 10MB/sec sustained transfer, so cards that say like V10, class 10 or UHS-1 are probably fine.

MacBench will certainly give you a readout of your Mac's hardware. TechTool is another you could try.

5 hours ago, Verault said:

upper left of desktop was a blinking icon to let you know the hard drive activity.

I know this was part of SpeedDoubler (I would disable it when I installed the whole suite), but it very well could be a standalone control panel as well. I want to say Norton Utilities also had something like that as part of Speed Disk. IIRC the standalone control panel is called "activity light" ot something along those lines. Might be a good term to search.

For your DOS card software, you can find every version, and lots of other useful tidbits, on the Apple Legacy Recovery CD image. That disc has proved quite handy.

Thanks for the info guys. Netfreak, I  took out the SD card and its a micro HC in a standard SD size adapter. It's got a rating of "2" on it. So I guess that is really bad. I have read alot about fake chinese sd cards out there on amazon and where-ever so I don't want to buy something that is no better than this.

My next question is, once I get a faster better SD card, how do I copy the entire contents of the old one to the new one to save me from having to reload the entire system?

I still have found no program called "activity Light" or "activity LED"

What do you guys think of this Sandisk sd card? https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-microSDXC-Memory-Adapter/dp/B073JYVKNX/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=fast+transfer+sd+card&qid=1607705990&sr=8-4

Edited by Verault
more info

The win32diskimager works great and its easy and straightforward. Its also a nice way to backup and restore the computer(s) now. There is a speed increase with the new SD card but not as much as I hoped. I'm a novice when it comes to loading extensions so i disabled a lot of the items that seem unnecessary... This is primarily going to be a games machine. It started complaining about printers and the spooler so I will need to re-enable a printer and the spooler to make the message go away. But I think were on the way to finishing up this project. Thank you to everyone who chimed in.

On 12/11/2020 at 5:55 PM, Verault said:

I still have found no program called "activity Light" or "activity LED"

There was "Norton Disk Light". I think it was a System Extension without interface, but not sure. It displayed a small disk icon in the menu bar near the Apple-symbol (hmm... probably with SCSI-ID?) that flicked as real HD indicators are flickering. It might have been a shareware that was bought out by Symantec. However it seems it have had a bad reputation (see this ArsTechnica post: https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=686143) regarding stability issues.

So better leave it out.

Edited by dan.dem
Found additional information

I've had no issues with Norton's DiskLight. They usually have a little control panel option so you can choose where it shows (too left or right corner) and if you want to show the ID and floppy activity.

Find it quite nice to have for machines that have no disk activity LED on the case (which is most).

The Ars-article mentions that "DiskLight was finally  'fixed' [however not so much if you read further] around version 4". I didn't have problems with it myself but used it only for a short time. My drives always had been reliable and in that era (fin de siècle) not yet so silent that you wouldn't hear disk activity.

So, DiskLight didn't provide useful information for me then. But I understand this is totally different with noiseless solid state drives.

Anecdote about avoiding additional system stuff: I mostly had lower end (and at least in the early 1990s) memory starved Macs and tried to save any processor cycle and kiloByte of RAM. I deactivated as much System Extensions and cdevs as possible, years before Extension Manager became part of System 7.5. Some went the opposite way. When I visited our local University's department of Informatics somebody started a Mac IIsi with System 7.0 showing two rows of extensions and cdevs. It used 4 MB of RAM only for the system itself. I was shocked, having just upgraded my Mac to 4 MB in total. I managed my system to take only 950k or so (without Apple Talk) but my work configuration was around 1.15 MB (System 7.0.1•).

I am not certain regarding the article there. If you notice, the first post mixes both FileSaver and DiskLight. In my experience, FileSaver was the worlds biggest pain, slowing the computer, making shut down take forever, and also causing file system issues as well on top of it. I think the posters got confused, intertwining the two. I am not sure how in the world a simple control panel that checks for disk access would corrupt your files. I can say for sure I had disk light running for years with no issues at all. However, I suppose this is all open to interpretation.