The "Getting Bolo to work over the internet" challenge

• 68kMLA Supporter
On 3/16/2021 at 3:04 PM, LaPorta said:

I’m totally up for a game this weekend.

Per an earlier recommendation in this thread, I created a new thread in the Lounge for game scheduling - I am also up for a game this weekend.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 68kMLA Supporter

Don't have Linux, this will run via terminal on macOS...I hate this stuff too, but once you get it set up it is autopilot. I seem to have a simple error: it cannot find the settings text file even though I created it in the same directory as the program.

• 68kMLA Supporter
Posted (edited)

The only thing I can think of is that your working directory may be different than the location of the config file. I don't use MacOS X, so don't know if it has any behaviors that might affect this. If your working directory is the same and it still doesn't work, you could try editing the config.go source file and set configFilename (near the top) to your config file's fully qualified path name. I would try to avoid that though, because it makes updating to newer versions more involved.

Edited by anthon
  • 68kMLA Supporter
On 3/17/2021 at 4:20 PM, LaPorta said:

Don't have Linux, this will run via terminal on macOS...I hate this stuff too, but once you get it set up it is autopilot. I seem to have a simple error: it cannot find the settings text file even though I created it in the same directory as the program.

Are you sure it's actually a plain text file, not an rtf with a .txt extension?

• 68kMLA Supporter

Believe it or not, not so easy on macOS. Way, way back, TextEdit lost the function to create plain text files, but can edit them. I used MSW to make the file.

On 3/17/2021 at 2:36 PM, olePigeon said:

Yeah, I know, but that's what it was like for me attempting to switch to Linux as my primary driver.  I'm just complaining now.

I agree.  Linux/Unix people tend to be annoyingly condescending and seem to think they're superior to all other computer users.  As a consequence of this, they are usually very unhelpful and refuse to give any but the tersest, most cryptic of advice, forcing one to figure things out for themselves.

And to add insult to injury, it seems that there are a few aspects of Linux that are designed with this mindset, such that the options in some programs are arcane things that only the person who developed it would know, the UI is weird and hard to figure out for any beginner, and there's no help files because the developer assumes that a user should be smart enough to figure it out themselves :/

Thankfully, the Linux world is not nearly so toxic and discouraging anymore, but vestiges of that nonsense remain, which I still find sufficiently off-putting to prevent me from adopting Linux full time.

OK, enough complaining!

c

• 68kMLA Supporter
Posted (edited)
On 3/19/2021 at 10:35 PM, PowerMac_G4 said:

I had a go at getting this set up tonight but sadly I get an "unimplemented trap" error every time I try to launch Internet Bolo Buddy. I'm running system 7.1 on a Macintosh Classic. Is this a known issue?

No issue on my LC575, SE/30 or Classic II. Playing Bolo on a Classic is a bit hellish - I know because that’s what I had when I was playing in the 90s. So other than as an experiment it’s worthwhile playing on something a bit faster. Did you try your 475?  It might be that IBB means something more than a 68000

Edited by superjer2000