WTB Apple /// Internal floppy drive Flapper/Lever

one of my Apple III internal floppy drives lever/flapper has crumbled to bits. IT was broken and I glued it but its unsalvageable. The internal drive is different from the external Apple III mechanism as it has an angled faceplate and elongated flapper. I know this makes it pretty hard to come by. I am hoping someone has parts or at least a drive they are willing to sell. Please let me know.

Completely different. You would need to swap the faceplate (bezel) and flapper to make it fit internally. There is no ways around it. Yes the guts of a disk II fit, but not the flapper or bezel. And no they aren't even close, You can add the flapper from a standard external Disk III, but its travel is too short and the drive wont close. This is one of Apples dumbest moves making the internal and external drive different. In doing so they made FOUR different apple III floppy drives.( the 4th being the DB25 variant external for the /// Plus which only a few were released), the first being a modified Disk II which looks identical to a disk II [I own two slightly different], the 2nd and 3rd being the aforementioned internal and external Disk ///).

Edited by Verault

OK, good to know, have been tinkering with those just twice... enough to remember how heavy they are (if i want to compare with an Apple II for instance, coming close with a Lisa in that matter)

Any pictures of the 4 units ? (i will be a bit more clever afterwards)

• 2 months later...

Well as luck would have it I was on eBay just browsing when this was "recommended" to me:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-III-External-Disk-Drive-Latch-Apple-III-Computers/303811894045?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Whats weird is its on my saved searches and I wasnt notified.. of course. Good price, its mislabled external although its the elongated internal version.