Macintosh Classic RAM not working

Hello, I recently got my Macintosh Classic up and running. It had some system issues, but that isn't what this is about. So one day, about a month ago (before I resolved the system issue with the help of people on this forum) I took the computer off of my shelf and it wouldn't boot. It gave me some error messages and when I removed the RAM it booted again. Now with the machine running, the 1MB of onboard RAM is not enough to do anything. I tried using the expansions card without the SIMMs installed. I switched the jumper as well, and it still didn't work. Does anyone know if there is a solution?

Thanks,

Dylan

IMG_9586.JPG

IMG_9587.JPG

IMG_9588.JPG

IMG_9589.JPG

IMG_9590.JPG

IMG_9591.JPG

Edited by dylan4397

Two things come to mind – first, what error messages do you get? A Sad Mac screen will have an error code that might tell us something. Second, I notice the shunt on the expansion card is on "SIMM NOT INSTALLED" – what happens when you move it to "SIMM INSTALLED", with the extra RAM in, and try to boot? What happens without the extra SIMMs?

The error message is 00000005 00100000 with the SIMMs installed and setting on SIMMs installed. If I remove the SIMMs, I get a white and black bar screen, as you can see in the photo. And as you can see in the second photo, I get this vertical rolling image when leave it set as SIMM installed, but remove the SIMMs

Thanks,

Dylan

IMG_9592.JPG

IMG_9594.JPG

Edited by dylan4397

Sorry, but don't understand your answer.

What's happening with the card card only (so without any stick of ram) and jumper moved to " simm not installed" ?

You have got 1 Mb of Ram onboard, the card only will give you another 1 Mb (when jumper set correctly) then the card plus sticks a maximum of 3 Mb.

So card alone and jumper "not installed" 1 Mb

Card + sticks and jumper "simm installed" 1 Mb + whatever is present.

Edited by bibilit

Sounds good! I do have another possibly big question, that I should maybe start another discussion for. I am trying to use an ImageWriter ii with the Macintosh. I think that they were used together at one point, because I pick both of them up from the same guy. But anyways, I cannot get it to print. I looked up the different settings for the DIP switches, and tried to set it accordingly. I also think that I have the proper system files installed for the printer. They are ImageWriter, ImageWrite LQ, LaserWriter, etc. But no ImageWriter ii. Are the ImageWriter and ImageWriter ii system files the same? I will attach photos of what I have going on. I did get the self test on the printer to work, so I know it at least sort of works.

Thanks for the help,

Dylan

IMG_9603.JPG

IMG_9607.JPG

IMG_9608.JPG

IMG_9609.JPG

IMG_9610.JPG

The error message is 00000005 00100000 with the SIMMs installed and setting on SIMMs installed. If I remove the SIMMs, I get a white and black bar screen, as you can see in the photo. And as you can see in the second photo, I get this vertical rolling image when leave it set as SIMM installed, but remove the SIMMs

Hmm I have a classic that is showing that screen with the lines when no memory expansion is installed, and distorted bars when it is installed. Yours boots if you remove the expansion card?