iomega zip drive=media compatibility?

yeah, I had thought that the 750mb was a bit of an oddity, nevermind that one of the office supplier chain (staples if anyone in canada knew that name) was still trying to sell 100/250mb medias for more than $50cad each long after 256mb usb thumbdrives for less than $30 had been showing up everywhere

• 2 weeks later...

Zip100 drives can, of course, only r/w zip100 media.

Zip250 drives can read/write 100 and 250 media

Zip750 drives:

- r/w 750 media

- r/w 250 media

- READ ONLY 100 media

I believe in each case, backwardly compatible media operates at lower performance than the original media, so my recommendation is to pick a system and use the same drives and disks across the board, if you can.

In terms of using Zip at all: Just be ware, lots of problems, mostly with 100, so if you can get all 250 you'll have slightly better luck than using any 100 stuff. Networking would be better, MO would be better, CD-R/RWs or DVDram would be better, etc etc.

In terms of "the context of zip750 in 2002: Flash drives weren't quite commonly available yet in early 2002,

CD-R was available and was growing cheaper, but I'll be honest, burning CDs isn't convenient and so I bet Iomega had this idea that the market for a more convenient superfloppy still existed, even if that market was "a drive and a handful of disks" which is a revised goal from the Zip100 scenario where Iomega was dumping the drives.

I still hate burning optical media for one-offs, unless I'm going to give someone a disc, and even today, 32gb flash disks have come down.

Removable media would likely have continued being popular if USB disks hadn't become a thing. Although, I'll openly admit that my preferred alternate reality here is that hiMD becomes the defacto superfloppy format, in lieu of Zip, but 3.5-inch MO would also have been good, just, hiMD is multi-purpose in that sense and holds a gig and that's "fine" for most people's superfloppy needs. (relative to 1.3/2.3 gigabyte media.)

thanks for the interesting post cory

and I'll admit that I have no make-once media here, first cd burner drive I ever bought I added a single fujitsu cdrw disc to the receipt to go with it

as for what you suggested, not surprisingly I had been thinking a bit about magneto as a non-network alternative option to iomega too since I can find relatively inexpensive 3.5" drives for both scsi and newer systems altogether

• 5 months later...

wasn't sure whether to write or not (sorry cory?) but anyhow..

alex, welcome to the forum :) and could you be so nice to turn your capslock off as it is equival to yelling into someone's face

as for your roland piano question, I don't know much about music equipments but I would nevertheless have to ask if the firmware could recognize a non-atapi drive in the first place tho (since the ide zip drive is seen as an atapi device I believe, while a hard drive is otherwise)

Hey @ALEX92S - welcome in!

This might be best to ask in a music oriented forum, you'll probably get a faster and more accurate result there.

In Macs, you can sub a Zip drive for a hard disk of the same connector type, but as @chelseayr said - it's tough to know what the firmware of each device will want.

Some SCSI devices in particular can have their original media replaced by SCSI2SD, BlueSCSI/Arduino SCSI or MacSD, depending on what you need.

Thank you

20 hours ago, cheesestraws said:

Problema este că unitățile IDE ZIP utilizează un protocol diferit pentru a comunica cu computerul decât discurile IDE. Deci s- ar putea să funcționeze, dar nu există nicio garanție.

• 68kMLA Supporter

On looking into it a bit more, I'm not even sure what the VA7 uses to interface to its Zip drive.  I've found a page saying that it isn't SCSI, and that page also claims that you can't put a hard disc in, but I do not know whether that's official or whether that's from trying it.

I don't think it's looking good, I'm afraid!

20 hours ago, cheesestraws said:

Dacă mă uit mai mult la el, nici măcar nu sunt sigur ce folosește VA7 pentru a interfața cu unitatea Zip. Am găsit o pagină care spune că nu este SCSI și că pagina susține, de asemenea, că nu puteți pune un hard disk, dar nu știu dacă este oficial sau dacă provin din el.

Nu cred că arată bine, mi-e teamă!

Thanks ... the problem is as follows ... I bought a roland va7 but I had surprises ... the zip unit doesn't work ... I couldn't find one to buy because it is no longer manufactured ... I thought I could copy the driver on the zip drive on a 40 pin ide hard drive ... but it looks like I can't and I made a bad investment ... thanks for the time

yeah, this might not help but what I do somewhat recall seeing elsewhere is that scsi-based pianos (rather than ide-based as is the VA7 it would appear) seemingly can happily accept a normal external drive which results in some people using a cdrom drive with them no problem (an apple e300 temporately paired with a yamaha piano? why not, it works anyway right??)

• 68kMLA Supporter
20 hours ago, ALEX92S said:

Thanks ... the problem is as follows ... I bought a roland va7 but I had surprises ... the zip unit doesn't work ... I couldn't find one to buy because it is no longer manufactured ... I thought I could copy the driver on the zip drive on a 40 pin ide hard drive ... but it looks like I can't and I made a bad investment ... thanks for the time

New ones might not be, but second-hand IDE Zip-100 drives are fairly common on eBay or similar.  So you may be able to use a different IDE Zip drive, even though it won't look as good.

I don't know if this would work, but if I were in your position, that's what I'd try.  I don't know anything about the VA7, though, so please take this as a very dodgy piece of advice :-).

19 hours ago, chelseayr said:

da, acest lucru s-ar putea să nu ajute, dar ceea ce îmi amintesc oarecum că am văzut în altă parte este că pianele bazate pe scsi (mai degrabă decât bazate pe ide, așa cum ar părea VA7) se pare că pot accepta cu fericire o unitate externă normală, ceea ce duce la unii oameni care folosesc un cdrom conduceți cu ei nici o problemă (un apple e300 asociat temporar cu un pian yamaha? de ce nu, funcționează oricum nu?)

19 hours ago, cheesestraws said:

Unele noi s-ar putea să nu fie, dar unitățile IDE Zip-100 second-hand sunt destul de frecvente pe eBay sau similar. Așadar, este posibil să puteți utiliza o unitate IDE Zip diferită, chiar dacă nu va arăta la fel de bine.

Nu știu dacă acest lucru ar funcționa, dar dacă aș fi în poziția ta, asta aș încerca. Totuși, nu știu nimic despre VA7, așa că vă rog să luați acest lucru ca pe un sfat foarte prost :-).

I did not search on ebay ... thanks for the advice ... honestly in my country I did not find ... I will try on ebay