How many Mac's saved

I am humbled by the detail this group goes to to understand and ultimately save these old Mac's from the hard waste pile.  I started looking after the old Mac's because of their industrial design and great legacy they have in the world.  I have a background in Computer Science from the 80's which also helps.

I was thinking we should keep a record of the number of Mac's that have been re-born via this group as a way of understanding the impact.

Pretty basic,  use this as a thread to add to the last entry to keep a running total.

I will start and see where we end up.

Mac 128k - 1

Mac 512k - 1

Mac Plus - 2

Mac Classic - 1

Mac Classic II - 1

Mac SE FDHD - 1

Mac SE/30 - 1

Simple instructions :

Reply to the last entry, copy the list above and add to the number based on how many Mac's you have have saved/fixed to a working state so they don't get thrown out.

Interesting project...

Here's my contribution:

Mac 128k - 2

Mac 512k - 2

Mac Plus - 4

Mac Classic - 2

Mac Classic II - 2

Mac SE FDHD - 2

Mac SE/30 - 4

Also, I'd like to add an entry for the original SE (not FDHD):

Mac SE - 2

c

Here's what I have so far Mac-wise:

• Plus

• SE/30

• Classic II

• Colo(u)r Classic

• IIci

• IIsi (2 for parts 1 working)

• IIvx

• Quadra 650

• Quadra 840AV

• LC

• Performa 460

• Performa 475

• Performa 630 (DOS Compatible)

• PowerMac 6100/66

• PowerMac 7600/132

• PowerMac G3 Beige

• PowerBook 145B

• PowerBook 165

• PowerBook 180c

• PowerBook 520c (x2)

• PowerBook Duo 230

• Mac Pro 3,1 (too new?)

Past machines owned that I can remember (most in disrepair):

• Early Mac Plus

• Mac SE

• Mac II

• Mac IIcx

• LC II

• LC III

• Centris 650

• PowerMac 7100/66

• PowerMac 7200/##

Edited by tokyoracer
Added machines.

My turn

COMPACTS

128k (1x)

512k (1x Hyperdrive). Missing the 512ke ED

Plus (2x: 1x Platinum + 1x Plus ED). Missing a Beige one. 

SE (4x: 1x Dual Floppy, 1x FDHD, 1x 1/20 and 1x 1/40). Missing the original M5011 and a Superdrive. 

SE/30 (1x, I do have another one but it became a bench and a logic board donor)

Classic (1x)

Classic II (2x: 1x Classic II, 1x Performa 200)

Color Classic (1x)

iMac (1x G3, 1xG4)

DESKTOPS

LCII (1x)

Q950 (1x)

PM G5 (1x Quad: not really saved, currently on life support. May succumb to its injuries)

Mac Pro (1x 5,1)

Xserve (1x 3,1)

PORTABLES

Portable (1x Backlit)

PB100 (1x)

An Excel/Google Doc would be awesome for this: One user per line, one model per column...

I don't have an exact list, but alot of my early collection did come from my hometown's recycling center.  an LC, Apple IIe, IIGS, a couple of Plus's, couple of Classic IIs, Qudara 700, at the very least. 

In more recent times, I got a G4 graphite tower, and an Indigo iMac that I found in a telco closet at work, that would have ended up in recycling when we left that building a couple of years ago.  I also managed to get another Indigo iMac and a 20SC external hard drive from the electronic recycling place we take our computers to at work.

And while not necessarily saving from being recycled, I bought an SE a couple of years ago from a guy who was using it to hold up a sign at a video game convention.

Edited by Torbar

Out of all of my collection, really only the first items – my first Classic and eMates – were saved from the landfill. All of them came from educational institutions. I'm pretty fond of them.

Maybe I can count the computers I got as/is – a Mac mini G4, and 1/2 a frankenMac'd Classic. The rest, though, I inherited from collectors, presumably who were getting out of the hobby.

Hi all,  the intent isn't to tell us how what you have it's to create a cumulative total of what you have saved through fixing and keeping the total adding up. Back to the last total number and lets start from there.  Given this is in the Compact Mac section lets just keep it for the Compact Mac series.

Mac 128k - 2

Mac 512k - 2

Mac Plus - 5

Mac Classic - 2

Mac Classic II - 4

Mac SE FDHD - 2

Mac SE/30 - 7

55 minutes ago, Cinan said:

Hi all,  the intent isn't to tell us how what you have it's to create a cumulative total of what you have saved through fixing and keeping the total adding up. Back to the last total number and lets start from there.  Given this is in the Compact Mac section lets just keep it for the Compact Mac series.

Mac 128k - 2

Mac 512k - 2

Mac Plus - 5

Mac Classic - 2

Mac Classic II - 4

Mac SE FDHD - 2

Mac SE/30 - 7

Existing Macs: Totaled 24

My Compacts 

Mac 512k - 1

Mac Plus - 2

Mac SE/30 - 2