.Dsk to 3.5" floppy...color classic to IIc+ ?

• 68kMLA Supporter

I recently picked up a IIc+, and my Apple II skills are rusty. I had thought I could download some .dsk files from the internet, copy them to my Color Classic, and then use the CC and Disk Copy to put those disk images onto a 3.5" floppy for the IIc+. But disk copy in 8.1 doesn't recognize any of the .dsk or .do files I've downloaded. 

Is what I'm trying to do possible? Not sure I have the process right.

The modern .dsk format is different than the Disk Copy format I believe.  Your Color Classic should be able to read ProDOS formatted disks, and you could transfer files between the two computers that way.

The easiest way would be to get a Floppy Emu - it will work with your Macs and Apple IIc+ so you could easily justify the cost!  They're so handy that I have two of them.

Also, ADT Pro allows you to transfer disk images between a modern computer and your IIc+ with a serial cable.

• 68kMLA Supporter

Is there a way to format a 3.5" floppy as ProDOS on the mac itself? 'Erase disk' in the finder doesn't have a ProDos option.

17 hours ago, Byte Knight said:

The modern .dsk format is different than the Disk Copy format I believe.  Your Color Classic should be able to read ProDOS formatted disks, and you could transfer files between the two computers that way.

The easiest way would be to get a Floppy Emu - it will work with your Macs and Apple IIc+ so you could easily justify the cost!  They're so handy that I have two of them.

Also, ADT Pro allows you to transfer disk images between a modern computer and your IIc+ with a serial cable.

I'm realizing i have a sort of bootstrapping problem - i can't format a blank disk in the IIc+ without some Apple II software. 

• 68kMLA Supporter

I will check the prodos extension. Earlier tonight made some progress, I discovered the reason i couldn't format a Prodos floppy on the Color Classic was I didn't have the PC Exchange control panel enabled. Turning that on allowed me to format a ProDos disk

Edited by KnobsNSwitches
  • 68kMLA Supporter

I figured out just what I needed, I found a program called ADFS (not to be confused w/ active directory single sign on :-) ) that runs on System 7 and above and lets me load apple II disk images in the finder and copy the files straight to a prodos formatted 3.5" floppy. 

Now i realize that the few Apple II games I remember require a joystick !

http://www.lazilong.com/apple_II/adfs/downloads/