SE/30 Jailhouse vertical bars and other issues

That is definitely a strange fault. You might be in over your head on this one. 

The fact that your not getting a chime or any startup at all indicates there is a severe issue somewhere that may be unrelated to the video circuit. 

Id troubleshoot the no-start issue before working on the video stage, as you could be chasing a red herring. 

I can see moving forward with troubleshooting audio. The video setback—I could address that too, right? One thing at a time. But this boot issue now has to be the priority now if I am to make any more progress.

I think maybe I will give the entire board a good soapy soak, rinse and dry. I did it once early on during the re-cap, but I don’t think I did a very thorough job as I continued to find electrolyte. It cannot hurt at this point.

8 hours ago, caver01 said:

I did check for that probing adjacent pins along each side. It did boot once after replacing the ASC.

Hrm. I wonder what changed between the first and second boot attempt.

8 hours ago, caver01 said:

I can see moving forward with troubleshooting audio. The video setback—I could address that too, right? One thing at a time. But this boot issue now has to be the priority now if I am to make any more progress.

I think maybe I will give the entire board a good soapy soak, rinse and dry. I did it once early on during the re-cap, but I don’t think I did a very thorough job as I continued to find electrolyte. It cannot hurt at this point.

A good wash and thorough dry isn't a bad idea. Since I wash using tap water, I always use the air compressor to blast all of the water out from under the IC's.

Don't give up, I know that it looks grim right now, but keep going! I felt pretty hopeless about mine several times, but finally got it going!

One change was the fact that this system originally had 8mb of RAM, but over time, I have removed the SIMMs and ROM to clean the board, and most of my troubleshooting has been with only 4mb on board. One thing I did was add the other 4 sticks. It was the first thing I thought of that might be an issue, but re-seating, cleaning, re-arranging—nothing seems to make a difference. In total, the RAM is 8 sticks, two different versions, but all 1mb. I have kept similar ones together within each bank.

As of now, the board is warming/drying after a thorough wash, but I do not have high hopes yet. Maybe I washed away something that was bridging somewhere like a solder bead. It is possible, but I am not holding my breath.

The screen looks like vertical chains, so to add a little levity, I am calling this syndrome “Chains Of Love” which is an extension of “Jailhouse Mac”.