• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, JDW said:

@pinto_guy Were you hired, directly or indirectly, by the family of Chuck Colby to liquidate some or all of his estate?

I'm not convinced that enquiring forcefully about someone's employment or hiring on the Internet is either polite or good behaviour.  This post comes across as aggressive, and if I were on the receiving end of it, it would make me extremely disinclined to give you any information at all.

@cheesestraws Aggressiveness is in the eye of the beholder.  For example, your own post takes a rather aggressive stance against mine, despite the fact that I have been a long term veteran of this forum (from it's very beginning, actually) and am asking a simple question.  

Asking how someone rather new to this forum came to have access to a famous-yet-deceased person's possessions is a legitimate question.  It is rather bold and direct, perhaps, but legitimate nonetheless.  

No one is suggesting the merchandise was stolen, but I am curious about the connection to the Colby family, as it would have taken their consent for the sale of these items to have happened.  

Chuck Colby was a CSU Fresno Alumni, and that is my Alma Mater too. Like Colby, I was in the engineering program.  I have followed his inventions through the years.  I am not a friend of the family, but I am interested in knowing details. It is no crime to ask.  Indeed, many questions in life remain unanswered only because we are too timid and silly to just ask.  Ask and ye shall receive.

3 minutes ago, JDW said:

For example, your own post takes a rather aggressive stance against mine, despite the fact that I have been a long term veteran of this forum (from it's very beginning, actually) and am asking a simple question.  

Oh, I forgot that people who have been around in a group for a long time can't possibly be rude or misbehave.  How remiss of me for insufficiently respecting my elders.

20 minutes ago, cheesestraws said:

I'm not convinced that enquiring forcefully about someone's employment or hiring on the Internet is either polite or good behaviour.  This post comes across as aggressive, and if I were on the receiving end of it, it would make me extremely disinclined to give you any information at all.

I agree. It's also not the first time he's done this, either to other posters or the admins. While I'm guilty of the latter as well (which I still regret), it's even worse to do it to your fellow 68kMLA'ers, no matter how veteran or noob.

10 minutes ago, cheesestraws said:

Oh, I forgot that people who have been around in a group for a long time can't possibly be rude or misbehave.  How remiss of me for insufficiently respecting my elders.

Do you honestly consider your reaction to what I wrote the very “polite and good behavior” style of writing you suggested was lacking in my own writing?

Whether someone is new or old to this forum does matter because trust is earned. That is not a new concept.

Lastly, I abide by “do unto others as you would have done unto you.” If I was rather new to a forum in the same situation, I would happily answer the question and be done with it.

If he wishes not to answer my question, he has every right not to answer.

Edited by JDW
Just now, cheesestraws said:

No, quite.  Thanks for corroboration.

And now we have you two gentlemen choosing to gang up on me for simply having asked a simple and quite innocent question that neither of you would have asked. Wherefore art thou, Diversity of Thought?

15 minutes ago, JDW said:

Wherefore art thou, Diversity of Thought?

'Wherefore' means 'why', not 'where'.  In the famous scene in R&J, Juliet is noting with despair that if Romeo had any other name, none of the disaster would be happening, hence 'wherefore art thou Romeo' (as opposed to someone else who wouldn't matter)

Edited by cheesestraws