I'll charge up the DSLR tonight and measure/photo tomorrow - And first dibs if you want to take it :D (I'd like the space back too!) Actually it might be neat to have some good photos of the boxes (Plus was my first, and was unfortunately thrown out rather recently)

Cool, I sent a note to ask for permission to access, hopefully it should be straightforward to identify as me.

Box dimensions, wow, they must have originally packed up that machine as if it were worth $3000 today... which it pretty much was at the time.  I'll look around at this box and let you know if I'd like to have it.

Alright, @erichelgeson I started playing around with the information in the photos, and I'm convinced... that I'll be willing to eventually take the box away from you.  Just trying to pace myself when I say this... I'd like to prove to myself I make reasonable progress on the project so that I'll have a justifiable reason to work with the original boxing directly, so that it doesn't sit around without reason.

So, I'm forking the rest of the project discussion out to a separate thread, over here:

And related to @ScutBoy's mention of his additional original boxing, yeah I'm conceivably seeing that if I get through these boxes I might also want to expand to a few more compact Macintosh boxes, but yeah, again, trying to pace myself.  But indeed, getting some high-resolution photos of those other boxes and internal contents would be a pretty good start there too.

17 hours ago, quorten said:

And related to @ScutBoy's mention of his additional original boxing, yeah I'm conceivably seeing that if I get through these boxes I might also want to expand to a few more compact Macintosh boxes, but yeah, again, trying to pace myself.  But indeed, getting some high-resolution photos of those other boxes and internal contents would be a pretty good start there too.

My boxes are buried a little bit, bit I will do my best to dig them out this weekend. The 512K box is definitely smaller than the others. I'll get measurements as well if I get them unearthed.

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, quorten said:

Now that's a truckload.

Filled the entire suburban. I'm only keeping a few, most others will be sold, traded, or parted depending on condition. Went through a few box and just tons of stuff. Daystar 601 card, tons ram, eithernet cards, 2 se boards, few II boards, cache cards, pds cards, video cards. Tons of software. A bit overwhelming. 

Goal is to find some gems and trade for others. Have some stock for people looking for random parts.

16 hours ago, erichelgeson said:

Just unloaded.... A lot to go through, the boxes are filled with cards, ram, motherboards, parts, disks, everything. Will do a quick stock tonight. Got from a dealer/collector who is no longer interested.

Well!  That'll keep you entertained for a while.  Nicely done.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2020 at 11:14 AM, erichelgeson said:

Just unloaded.... A lot to go through, the boxes are filled with cards, ram, motherboards, parts, disks, everything. Will do a quick stock tonight. Got from a dealer/collector who is no longer interested.

Are the two monitors on top of each other IIgs or Mac monitors?

On 10/3/2020 at 12:54 AM, Byte Knight said:

Are the two monitors on top of each other IIgs or Mac monitors?

Mac I believe? Apple color hi resolution RGB display - not sure - I didnt have a IIgs or Mac in that time period. It does work on connected to an LCIII though - thought it was the 12" toppers but it's a bit wider.

On 10/2/2020 at 4:54 PM, quorten said:

It's an RJ-11 port though - just plugged it into my MacBook Pro and it identifies as an Apple USB Modem - just seems an odd thing. Must have came with a laptop he got and just through it in the drawer.

8 hours ago, Scott Baret said:

Yes, those are Mac monitors. The easy way to tell a IIGS monitor is the power light. On a Mac, it's a rectangle. On a IIGS, it's a parallelogram, with the short sides parallel to the top and bottom of the display.

That’s amazing. I have somehow known that my whole life without knowing I knew it. Thanks for pointing it out. 

9 hours ago, erichelgeson said:

It's an RJ-11 port though - just plugged it into my MacBook Pro and it identifies as an Apple USB Modem - just seems an odd thing. Must have came with a laptop he got and just through it in the drawer.

Yeah, it was sold as an add-on either very very early in the Intel era or very very late in the PPC era after Apple dropped 56k modems from Macs. It could be fun for stuff like faxing, depending on how late it was supported in the OS, and if you have a compatible phone line or ATA + voip service.

Yeah, pretty much I was going to write ^ what Cory said.  You could have a more modern computer be a mini-ISP that connects vintage computers to period-accurate dialup modems on a local network.

Hmmmm..... I've been meaning to look into that kind of stuff. The machine currently running vtools, a QS'02, has a modem, and I have a small PBX with some analog lines, and I've thought it would be fun to do whatever low end version of Apple Remote Access was bundled.

A friend wrote some notes about doing this using an older version of Windows: Setting up a Dialup Server in 2020 | Gekk .

16 hours ago, Cory5412 said:

Hmmmm..... I've been meaning to look into that kind of stuff. The machine currently running vtools, a QS'02, has a modem, and I have a small PBX with some analog lines, and I've thought it would be fun to do whatever low end version of Apple Remote Access was bundled.

A friend wrote some notes about doing this using an older version of Windows: Setting up a Dialup Server in 2020 | Gekk .

I have done it before on a Quicksilver, though running on a Linux server install with mgetty:

That's excellent. I'm extremely tempted, but also most of the macs I have with modems also just have Ethernet. It would be some extremely high end nostalgia to dial in from an iMac, though.