Reverse Engineering the Macintosh SE PCB & Custom Chips for 1:1 reproduction

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is really awesome.  I'll be looking forward to seeing the first repro SE board booted up!

The SE/30 has more custom logic, no?  Is it possible to program another chip with the VLSI code?  Or would some modern replacement need to be made?

RE LCDs:  While this is probably the only way to keep these operating in the long run, I think using the CRT is part of the charm of these machines, is it not?

8 hours ago, IlikeTech said:

This is really awesome.  I'll be looking forward to seeing the first repro SE board booted up!

The SE/30 has more custom logic, no?  Is it possible to program another chip with the VLSI code?  Or would some modern replacement need to be made?

RE LCDs:  While this is probably the only way to keep these operating in the long run, I think using the CRT is part of the charm of these machines, is it not?

First we need a round of 1:1 PCBs. We can remove the logic ICs from the dead boards and transplant them over. the really important bits like the GLU, ASC, SCC, SWIM, etc usually survive. 

Also be fore-warned: the official SE/30 schematics are missing a couple pages, and they contain all the test points, and resistor networks. So DONT forget those! 

Edited by techknight
15 hours ago, Kai Robinson said:

Sure i'd take that method - as long as i get scans of the layers, i don't care how they were obtained - if someone else wants to do the disassembly and scan the layers at 1200dpi, i'll do the work in sprint. 

What's really nice about using the epoxy embedment/milling machine approach is that you don't need to desolder anything but the proprietary logic and anything else you might want. The first couple of passes will remove all the solder cones/pins and raze the metal bits off at each layer. [}:)]

14 hours ago, techknight said:

Also be fore-warned: the official SE/30 schematics are missing a couple pages, and they contain all the test points, and resistor networks. So DONT forget those! 

Don't we have all that on the Bomarc schematic? Gotta get that one to see if it has the info missing from Apple's.

On 7/14/2020 at 7:33 AM, Kai Robinson said:

For that, there's a schematic. Also, AN ORBITAL SANDER!

Those might come in handy then I guess?

IMG_3666.thumb.jpg.02234e3cda49b77bdebef07743b87921.jpg

Both boards suffered a battery explosion but I'd say all traces are still visible at least.

[:)] Me loves messes! Make sure to wear a good mask and have airflow outside whilst sanding, there's lead in them thar hills

Was thinking about the notion of bfanching off to a dedicated thread. This one shows the methodology, the way it builds, segues into the next project, while the first one goes into the testing phase. Maybe a title modification and a link to the fourth or 5th page, the dawn of the SE/30 project would suffice?

19 hours ago, Bolle said:

Those might come in handy then I guess?

IMG_3666.thumb.jpg.02234e3cda49b77bdebef07743b87921.jpg

Both boards suffered a battery explosion but I'd say all traces are still visible at least.

Wow! I bet you wore your vacuum desoldering gun out with this. haha. 

I actually put them on a infrared preheater and hot-aired the shit out of the board. If you’re careful and got everything dialed in correctly with the temperature settings you can just pick up everything from the board - even the through hole components - without burning anything.

Plastic connectors and sockets don’t like that treatment though, but those are easily replaceable.

11 hours ago, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

What color? :huh: Good on ya!

Just plain green, can bugger about with the extra cost of colours later, finished product I’m aiming for matte black with a clear solder mask, like this; e84ec47df3eac2dfd77e06c249fb09ef14e1b94d

My impression is that the custom chips in anything after the SE get a lot more complex, but that reimplementing the GLU chip seems fairly easy... The video system in the SE is a variant of the original's, as far as I can tell, very simple stuff. Not saying the later ones are impossible to recreate, of course, but that's when they start keeping separate video RAM etc. If you want to do a faithful clone of a 68k Mac, I think the SE is a good choice.

Well, here they are...

So - hands up who's still in? There's a few things i've noticed such as tight holes on the PDS side of things...and the SIMM SLOTS, but other than that sockets fit fine! All holes seem to line up 1:1 as well. 

DSC_0393.JPG

DSC_0395.JPG

DSC_0394.JPG

8 hours ago, Kai Robinson said:

So - hands up who's still in? There's a few things i've noticed such as tight holes on the PDS side of things...and the SIMM SLOTS, but other than that sockets fit fine! All holes seem to line up 1:1 as well.  

Definitely!