Reverse Engineering the Macintosh SE PCB & Custom Chips for 1:1 reproduction

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 68kMLA Supporter
19 hours ago, max1zzz said:

£28 sounds very reasonable to me, A huge amount of work has gone in to that board!

It just about covers the cost of the board without shipping - it'd be up to the community really to decide what a fair price would be.

19 hours ago, Kai Robinson said:

It just about covers the cost of the board without shipping - it'd be up to the community really to decide what a fair price would be.

Personally I would say charge a little more then, I have made the mistake before of selling stuff at near cost levels of profit and it gets old really quick

20 hours ago, Kai Robinson said:

Would £28 per board sound like a fair charge for non beta testers? 

Kai, shooting myself in the foot here, but given how much effort you've put in, you should charge more than that. Don't over estimate how many you'll sell - that is the mistake I make when I do something, and you deserve to claw back your expenses sooner rather than later. People won't / shouldn't begrudge you it.

19 hours ago, max1zzz said:

Personally I would say charge a little more then, I have made the mistake before of selling stuff at near cost levels of profit and it gets old really quick

Hahaha :) you too maxx1zzz? Would you like to buy a two speed clock for a quadra 700? I have about 235 boards left out of the 240 I ordered...

<headdesk> :'(

19 hours ago, Phipli said:

Hahaha :) you too maxx1zzz? Would you like to buy a two speed clock for a quadra 700? I have about 235 boards left out of the 240 I ordered...

<headdesk> :'(

If only I could get my hands on a Q700 :) Only ever seen a few for sale in the UK and they're usually ridiculously priced when they do come up!

I'd put down somewhere between $50 and $75 USD for one of these, because I know how much time and effort went into it. I'm worrying that 28GBP is too low, but I'm not your business manager, so do whatever.

If you're looking for a place to sell beyond this forum, I'd suggest https://www.tindie.com/. You'll get eyeballs on it, and I can help you out there if you have any problems

• 68kMLA Supporter

OK - board house order placed - 20 boards, in black - this will be the ONLY run of black SE boards i'll do, the rest will be green, because retro. I did consider OSHPark for their black, with clear soldermask...but yikes, $360 for THREE boards is a bit too steep....maybe as a special edition that i sign :D

So - the next stop is tindie, i guess? I'll take orders via DM here for now, so if you want one, and more importantly, a black one, you know what to do!

I've settled on £36 per board ($50), plus whatever shipping is. I'm working on component kits too, thanks to TC Electronic Components in the UK - for all the passives and sockets you'll need, to keep the costs down. I'll order 20 of those, too, to go with the boards, price will be determined later on, but i would imagine about the same again for components. I'll give away all my ADB XCVR boards in these orders, too, so you can source the PLCC ADB chips yourselves, at least until we can get the mask ROM extracted from the silicon (at which time you should be able to use a PIC16F54. 

Also - i am attaching the final, release ready versions of the Sprint Layout file, and the Gerbers - OPEN SOURCE FTW!

Macintosh-SE-Reloaded-v1.5-release.zip MacintoshSE.lay6

• 68kMLA Supporter

@Kai Robinson this sounds like an impressive achievement but as someone who didn’t follow the whole 33 page thread :) (sorry!) what exactly are you selling? Is it a PCB only, and we source all the components ourselves, or possibly buy your component kit in the near future?