Reverse Engineering the Macintosh SE PCB & Custom Chips for 1:1 reproduction

Hi all, I was lurking on this thread in hope of an SE/30 replacement board coming next, after the SE project finished. Didn't expect someone to jump the gun quite like that! :smiley:

I also have a maxell bombed SE/30 that needs a new board. Where can one follow your project's progress, so we don't derail this thread too much? :D If you make and sell some more boards in the future, I'd take one (or better two, in case I ruin one).

This is a very exciting thread even just following from the sidelines! Thanks for sharing your progress with us. :)

Cheers

mikerofone

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 68kMLA Supporter
20 hours ago, Bolle said:

I’ll have a thread here in the hacks section, once I find the time to write down the story so far...

Bravo, bravo, bravo! You're an inspiration.

I would very, very much love to read a worklog, just to get some insight behind the process.

• 68kMLA Supporter

The latest batch of boards has arrived, with fixes! V1.5 is a go!

I had these made in black, with ENIG Gold finish and my god...these look amazing - going forward, i'd definitely be up for making the boards in this finish - they look spectacular! Also coming in were another 20 RTC chips...

I guess i know what i'm doing this weekend....!

DSC_0563.JPG

DSC_0562.JPG

DSC_0561.JPG

On 3/17/2021 at 3:06 PM, Kai Robinson said:

The latest batch of boards has arrived, with fixes! V1.5 is a go!

I had these made in black, with ENIG Gold finish and my god...these look amazing - going forward, i'd definitely be up for making the boards in this finish - they look spectacular! Also coming in were another 20 RTC chips...

I guess i know what i'm doing this weekend....!

DSC_0563.JPG

DSC_0562.JPG

DSC_0561.JPG

Those are gorgeous!!

• 68kMLA Supporter

So Johan Grip, who pointed me in the direction of the SE schematics, has basically taken the apple custom chips off a dead SE board, and removed the actual silicon wafers. So wanting to know what's inside the ROM of the ADB controller in the SE but not able to power glitch it, or read it in anything newer than 1995 because its so old? Easy - we read the rom off the mask in the silicon directly! :D

IMG_20200517_184448_1.jpeg

21-03-13_16-08-45_0116.jpeg

21-03-13_16-24-51_0117.jpeg

• 68kMLA Supporter

And here it is. For the most part. Still some work to do, but a pretty good image. You can see the mask rom area, and also make out the structures, meaning a binary map of the mask is possible to grab, using automated tools. 

adb.png

maskrom.png

cleanedmaskrom.png

20210318172156487.jpeg

maskromstructure.png

• 68kMLA Supporter

Kai this is super awesome. Is he going to do the SWIM too? (The one John McMaster did was a different version.) Some day I want to implement an SE SWIM in FPGA so that people can upgrade their 800K SE to SE SuperDrive.

• 68kMLA Supporter

The exciting density per post on this page of this thread has got quite high.

I'm looking forward to having a go at the 1.5 board if you'd still like me to—all those resistors send me into a wonderful meditative state.  Or maybe it's the flux fumes...

• 68kMLA Supporter
20 hours ago, cheesestraws said:

The exciting density per post on this page of this thread has got quite high.

I'm looking forward to having a go at the 1.5 board if you'd still like me to—all those resistors send me into a wonderful meditative state.  Or maybe it's the flux fumes...

Yes, absolutely. I've got the passive list a bit more curated now, too. I'll pop one in the post to you - i have a wad of stuff that needs to go in the mail!!

Passive_Component_SE_BOM_for_Mouser.txt

@Kai Robinson Are the higher resolution images of the ADB chip die available? I'd like to attempt to reverse engineer its firmware (I have some experience with reversing ADB devices. You can look at my current work on reversing and documenting the Apple(extended) II Keyboards here)

Edited by powermax

Was just wondering, Apple is a bit finicky with trademark and stuff.

No trouble using their logo and name in your new board (gorgeous by the way) ?

At some point they were hunting prototypes around and buying back goods from ebay.

@bibilit Apple has been purging a lot of their vintage history from their website in recent years so I think they wouldn't care.  Otherwise, sure, we could brand this as coming from "potato computer" instead.

Regarding my earlier discussion about connecting internal video to an external monitor, I've found a rather simple circuit design would work quite well.  Quick sketch here to illustrate the high-level concept, somewhat similar to a related physical circuit that was tested with a MegaScreen PDS video card.

ttl_vga_mock.png.dc99705209fc0cd1faa2bc9bd9546cac.png

@Kai Robinson So the analog board, basically between using an ATX power supply and a TTL video to VGA adapter board, are there any remaining functions not covered?