New SE and Miniscribe deep-dive

@Franklinstein ah, ok. Can’t wait to see how that turns out when you get the chance to mess with it! 

Yeah, I knew the Rodimes weren’t know for good reliability. I too think it’s pretty cool that they were Scottish. You don’t see a lot of computer-related tech from there it seems. They did invent the 3.5” hard drive form factor, which is one of the reasons I really like them. 

I believe Norton Disk Doctor was able to mark the sectors off to not be used, as there was a few hundred more kilobytes of used space on the drive after I scanned it. However it wasn’t able to do this with data in those spots, so I scanned it while it was blank the second time.

Also, here’s a video of it running in the SE!

I had the external drive off here, so you can here just the Rodime. That SCSI enclosure you can see is the one I put the Miniscribe that was originally in this SE into.

System 7.0.1 would probably boot quicker with a faster drive, but I’m not bothered by it. 

Edited by PB145B

Also, here’s an inside-shot of the SE with the Rodime installed:

0016AC5A-8423-43BC-A176-48072105EB3C.thumb.jpeg.a619cfd7c07c182d8e540edbd9898e18.jpeg

You can always identify a Rodime from the bottom. The big, silver stepper-motor is always the giveaway. 

Now to find an analog board with the old squirrel-cage/cross-flow fan and this’ll be done (just the fan itself would do, but I don’t anticipate finding one on its own). I’ll also recap the A/B and PSU eventually.

Edited by PB145B
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2020 at 12:51 PM, Bendix said:

Incredible! Good Job. just took my old 20 MB Miniscribe, which would not spin up any more, did, what you did, and now I can write to it. The FWB stopped half way through low level format like you describe with an error (actually just a stop sign hand and OK) but I could create a partition and copy system 7.1 to it. Only thing is, when I boot, the stepper motor make a noise like moving forward/backward for a minute or more and then the drive ist not mounted. I can mount it with FWB manually and then it is fully operational but it takes this noise time off, when the SCSI bus ist initiated. So obviously I cannot boot from it.

Hmm, still some stepper motor misalignment?

I have the exact same problem, when turning on it keeps making this click-click forward-backward noise for a couple minutes, and then stops. I've been able to format and even read and write succesfully using Silverlining, but won't mount without it, so I can't boot from it. Did you solve something?

On 6/7/2020 at 12:51 PM, Bendix said:

Incredible! Good Job. just took my old 20 MB Miniscribe, which would not spin up any more, did, what you did, and now I can write to it. The FWB stopped half way through low level format like you describe with an error (actually just a stop sign hand and OK) but I could create a partition and copy system 7.1 to it. Only thing is, when I boot, the stepper motor make a noise like moving forward/backward for a minute or more and then the drive ist not mounted. I can mount it with FWB manually and then it is fully operational but it takes this noise time off, when the SCSI bus ist initiated. So obviously I cannot boot from it.

Hmm, still some stepper motor misalignment?

I have the exact same problem, when turning on it keeps making this click-click forward-backward noise for a couple minutes, and then stops. I've been able to format and even read and write succesfully using Silverlining, but won't mount without it, so I can't boot from it. Did you solve something?

No, sorry, I could not solve it because the next day my drive was dead again, most likely because the heads were magnetically „glued“ to the disk and the motor is to weak to spin the drive up. There is no practical fix for this I guess. 

On 7/15/2020 at 5:08 AM, GregorHouse said:

I can't get it to work, what am I missing? The Mac doesn't look at it as an application at all, it tries to fins an application to open it as a document

I think this can happen if either the type/creator info or resource fork gets mangled.  It probably happened somehow when it got zipped.

c

On 7/19/2020 at 2:07 PM, CC_333 said:

I think this can happen if either the type/creator info or resource fork gets mangled.  It probably happened somehow when it got zipped.

c

That could be it. Probably should have used a vintage Mac and Stuffit instead. :) 

On 7/19/2020 at 9:07 PM, CC_333 said:

c

It's the most likely, I remember a thread or a manual in The Macintosh Repository explaining how to encapsule old software using Stuffit and then ZIP to avoid this problems