Macintosh LCII Restoration

• 68kMLA Supporter
15 hours ago, bibilit said:

So was fixed in the end ? what was the issue ??

It was advertised in "as-is, not working" condition, with the symptom being "green LED, no picture". As I suspected, all it needed was to be plugged into a Mac!

• 2 months later...
  • 68kMLA Supporter
11 hours ago, CC_333 said:

I have an LC topper (12" 512x384), with an LC (or LC II) to match, and it doesn't work (the CRT is dead, and so is the LC to which it belongs).  I hope it's a simple fix, because it's in fairly nice condition.

c

Worst-case scenario, you find one with a cracked/broken case, and swap everything over!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 68kMLA Supporter
10 hours ago, zackl said:

@PotatoFi - the quality of this post is ridiculous! I wish there was a big enough 68k audience to get you an ad supported full time YouTube position or similar! Fantastic writing and documentation, please keep it up. Pushing in my request for an 840av restoration next on your list :)

Thanks! I have dabbled with recording some of my restoration work... so I have footage of a few of my projects, but I've had a hard time finding the time/energy to get them edited into actual videos. I am thinking about live-streaming some of my restoration projects, we'll see.

As for the 840av, bring it on! The most challenging part, of course, is tracking one down.

• 5 months later...
On 2/27/2021 at 7:55 AM, JRotar said:

What kind of glue did you use for the Apple logo? 

I like to use double-sided adhesive tape. Not the very thin version but the soft and "foamy" type. It is very strong and still can be removed by pushing from the back.

• 68kMLA Supporter
On 2/27/2021 at 8:33 PM, PotatoFi said:

So far, I’ve had no trouble with them sticking back in with the original adhesive. Some pop out easier than others, but they have all stuck back in just fine.

Oh wow, not bad.  I had some craft-style tacky glue that I thought might work - kind of bonds like when you get a credit card in the mail on a sheet of paper

• 68kMLA Supporter
23 hours ago, JRotar said:

Oh wow, not bad.  I had some craft-style tacky glue that I thought might work - kind of bonds like when you get a credit card in the mail on a sheet of paper

Oh wow, that sounds super useful! Can you link to the adhesive that you are using?

• 1 month later...
On 5/16/2020 at 11:55 PM, PotatoFi said:

Now, on to the retrobrite! 

At this point, the timeline goes a little bit convoluted, as the retrobrite process took about a week to complete. These days, I've almost completely abandoned the plastic wrap and hydrogen peroxide cream method in favor of full submersion in liquid hydrogen peroxide

Does your version of 'retrobrite' include OxiClean?  I'm not trying to start a whole thing, because I know this has been hashed out ad nauseam, but the process is more effective with a touch of OxiClean.

On 5/16/2020 at 11:55 PM, PotatoFi said:

To keep the parts from floating, I finally figured out that I could set a jar or pitcher of water on top of the part.

I LOVE your idea to prevent the pieces from floating - I have never considered using glass, but I have other pieces of glass/vases that I'm going to try when I Retr0brite my next piece and need to keep it from floating.  I love your attention to detail, all of your pictures and especially your finished results!  Excellent job on bringing this one all the way back!

• 68kMLA Supporter
On 4/1/2021 at 1:17 PM, Bakauata said:

Great detailed post of your work. Thank you and congrats.

Thanks! I enjoy these projects and documenting them.

20 hours ago, Juror22 said:

Does your version of 'retrobrite' include OxiClean?  I'm not trying to start a whole thing, because I know this has been hashed out ad nauseam, but the process is more effective with a touch of OxiClean. I LOVE your idea to prevent the pieces from floating - I have never considered using glass, but I have other pieces of glass/vases that I'm going to try when I Retr0brite my next piece and need to keep it from floating.  I love your attention to detail, all of your pictures and especially your finished results!  Excellent job on bringing this one all the way back!

That's a fair question! It's just a mix of hydrogen peroxide and water. I have never tried OxiClean, but perhaps I should next time I need to retrobrite something!

22 hours ago, Juror22 said:

I LOVE your idea to prevent the pieces from floating

Choose your glass carefully, for not all glass is equal;  some types of glass filter out the UV rays that make retrobrite work.

c